Beemerdon's Spirit Goes to Ireland

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dr Rich,

If you send me money for the trip I will join you you in Ireland. Best delay that, I could never be as much fun as Don. I will be thinking of you both.

Best regards

Steve

Geez Rich, I didn't know you guys went back to the 70's. I'm amazed you remember anything ;)

Really looking forward to you on the road reports with Don and Dolly. Go ahead and have a pint or two with Don on me, I'll catch up with the funds next time we see each other.

Cool post, Rich. I toasted one to Don when I visited Ireland in April and it felt like Don was there with us.

Rich, you'll have to watch him closely, Dolly told me that Ireland is a "Target Rich" Environment as far as Oves are concerned.

sheep.jpg

JSNS Just So "Nuff Sheep"

Is it Screw the Guinness, bring on the sheep?

or Screw the Sheep, where's the Guinness?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you send me $20 for the shipping/handling fee, I will gladly send you $10 to hoist one in my name for Don.
I am sure the road will raise to meet you, with the wind at your back as you travel with Don
I'll save you the trouble and handling Rich. I just had one for Don right here. In your name.

I'm sure he would have wanted it that way.

Once way back, Don and Mick were adrift at sea for days in a rowboat, hoping for a rescue but saw no boats or planes in sight..... a bottle floats alongside, Mick picks it up and wipes it off. A genie appears and says, you get one wish. Mick jumps at the opportunity and says, "Please make this a sea of Guinness". Poof, the ocean was turned to Guinness. Don promptly smacked Mick a good one across the ears and says "WTF did you do that for? Now we have to piss in the boat!"

Take him to kiss the Blarney stone, upside down of course!

Good n brief story of you two Rich, thanks for sharing and I'm sending $10 but for a Smithwicks! :)

The first morning after an all night flight we took a ride around town on a Hop on Hop off bus to get and overview of Dublin.

The Irish flag flying over the post office

This statue welcoming Don home with open arms.

A little Viking Tour of Dublin....

Don's buddies stopped by the pub for a drink last night...

Church that the Vikings initially built...

Don goes to Guinness...

Some of Don's drinking buddies from the Guinness Collection...

How does that go.... The world needs an Irishman like a fish needs a bicycle!

One of the things that we found interesting was the Irish Harp used by Guinness. Guinness has been brewing beer for so long that the harp was it's symbol. When the newer Irish Government wanted to use the harp as it's logo it had to negotiate with Guinness and the compromise was that the Government harp had to be displayed backwards... Opposite of the Guinness Harp.

Inside the Nancy Hands Pub...

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the true highlights of this trip was meeting Tony Toner.... Tony is a retired officer from the Dublin/ Irish Police (Garda). Dave Green (Hudson) introduced him to us and we made arrangements to have him drive us and show us Northern Ireland. Tony in his time with the Garda taught motorcycle riding techniques and became and expert in teaching other officers how to survive when riding a motorcycle. (tractors on the road are called Murphy's) Tony has been in the US many times with groups who rent bikes and tour. He was an absolute fount of knowledge and knows everyone! He took Susan and me up north to the border areas between the north and south. He showed us where he was raised and how when he went to church, he would have to cross the border manned by English soldiers. He showed us several areas that are still politically sensitive and where Sinn Fein is still very active. He schooled us in the troubles and events as seen by a young boy and later as a member of the Garda. He took us to the grave of Robert the Bruce's (king of Scotland) brother Edward. Robert the Bruce was from Scotland and had sent his brother to Ireland with the goal of uniting Scotland and Ireland. Edward briefly became the king of Ireland and his grave is in a little graveyard near where Tony was raised. Tony took us to the grave of the "Long Woman" (Irish Tale). Tony is coming to Seattle this summer with another group and the PNW crew will treat him well.

Tony Toner

Edward the Bruces grave

The tale of the "Long Woman"

How wonderful! If wealth were truly measured in the friends we have, Don Stanley was rich beyond all imagination!

Thank for posting up, hope there are more pics to come