Beemerdon's Spirit Goes to Ireland

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony is a true gentleman, and I can't wait for him to visit to repay the favor! Sounds like he showed you the true Ireland, not the parts tourist usually see. The boy can also ride quite well! Thanks form the pix!

After Dublin we headed south....

Our first stop was the city of Waterford (famous for its crystal) The city was originally a Viking settlement so I had to take a picture of Reginald's tower and a Viking ship in the middle of town.... Got to love those Vikings .... Right Don???? Nice to see some of my ancestors former land holdings!

It turned out the car we rented from Hertz had no rear brakes (metal to metal on both rear rotors and no pad material, so we ended up having to go to Cork to get a replacement car.

We then went to Kinsale which is a small village on the south east coast of Ireland... Beautiful little town. Would be fun to spend a week there and explore the countryside.

Rich, I have a very good friend in Norther Ireland, I am sure he would volunteer to have few pints of Guiness with you. I sent you a pm with his contact details, give my very best regards to him.

From Kinsale we took Don and headed up through Cork, Limerick, and on to Galway. We stopped at the Cliffs of Moher along the way.

Couldn't pass up this pub.... The Irish Arms

We stayed in Galway at a great hotel that upgraded us to a suite... Don of course took the middle bed and stretched out.

After Galway we headed back to Dublin where we caught a flight over to Glasgow Scotland and then up to the seaside town of Oban.

From Oban we headed north to drive the North 500. This is a road that goes around the top of Scotland and has become pretty popular with motorcyclists. It is one lane in many parts and goes up the northwest side of Scotland and then circles back down from John O Groats back down to Inverness. We saw loads of bikes on the road.

This was a monument to Scottish Soldiers killed in wars since the Second World War. The plaques around the bottom of the monuments were placed there by individual soldiers families.

It would not be Scotland without a few distillaries.... This is Glen Ord.... Singleton is one of their most popular Scotches

One of the towns we stayed in was Ullapool. It is on the N500 and is where many of the ferries leave to go out to the outer islands.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Ullapool we headed further north along the N 500 to Portskerra (7 miles west of Thurso)

Lots of sheep grazing right on the roadway.

Ran through a village with a spot for Niehart!

Highland cattle right next to the road.

Beautiful countryside.

The Coast Guard is on watch

You don't think of Scotland as having beautiful sandy beaches.

Four bikes at the hotel we stayed at in Melvich / Portskerra

I decided to put Don's picture on the Triumph....

The Hotel in Portskerra

Took Don down to a few Scotch Distilleries.

Steam in the background rising from one of the stills.

On our way down to Edinburgh, we were amazed by the number of bikes that were on the road. In Braemer, we ran into a group of about 30 bikes. These two chaps were willing to take a picture.... The guy with the beard was riding a Blackbird.

Nice spot for lunch

Edinburgh Castle

Headed home

I think Don enjoyed the trip.....

Last edited by a moderator: