Bent Wheel Rim. (Arrrrgh!)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flylooper

Reaction score
So, I'm changing a tire in the rear and go to balance it, only to discover the rim on one side is slightly bent i.e., there's a flat spot. I can't figure out whether I tightened down so hard with the claws on my HF tire changer or whether I did it hitting a bad bump. I tried beating it with a mallet but it isn't doing the job.

It's hard to believe that I would have the strength to do something like that on the tire changer, using only my hand on the vise handle of the thing. And I can't remember hitting a bump so hard it would cause something like that to happen.

Nevertheless, I don't think it represents a safety problem but it's noticeable enough to bother me and want to pay to get it fixed, if it can be done.

Does anyone know of someone in the Northwest that does such repairs to moto wheels? I'm near Salem, Oregon.

TIA...

Bob

Does anyone know of someone in the Northwest that does such repairs to moto wheels? I'm near Salem, Oregon.
Nope, but UPS ships all across the country and I CAN recommend these folks:

Will's Rim Repair in SC

Please tell them I recommended them. They have treated me and some others on the forum well. Great work, great price.
Great advice! I have been running a wheel on my suzuki that has a less than true left edge for quite some time (damn potholes). Too bad I just had a new tire put on it. I have bookmarked their page for repair between my this tire and my next. Will definatly tell them that you sent me!

I've used Viking Wheel Service in Wilmington, Delaware (talk to Wally). All told, I had $600 into repairing two wheels, though the actual repairs were only $300. The rest is shipping, seals and labor to dismount and remount tires, rotors and bearings (DO NOT REUSE WHEEL BEARINGS! or you will experience a later failure, as I recently did). Viking strips factory paint, then uses a process (something like magna-flux) to check for invisible cracks. When wheels are straight, they powder coat and clearcoat to your specs (I had them match the color of the engine cases). Replacement wheels (two years ago) were about $800/set. Now add in costs of teardown and reinstallation and you would be well ahead to have it straightened.

Rubber mallet..........spray paint...........and throw in a tube just in case the rim is cracked. I did just that with a front rim many years ago when I was young and indestructible.

I would suggest sending it out for professional straightening.

Don't ask. :dribble:

Rubber mallet..........spray paint...........and throw in a tube just in case the rim is cracked. I did just that with a front rim many years ago when I was young and indestructible.

Did the same - ran over a 4x4 early on. Small dent made less with a mallet, and a new tire and balance - feels like new.

Did the same - ran over a 4x4 early on. Small dent made less with a mallet, and a new tire and balance - feels like new.
I urge caution on this type of fix............if it's just a small dent go for it. If your rim is flat between the spokes this is what may happen.

Lets go back 17 years.........................

After straightening my rim with a mallet, I then re-mounted the tire with a tube in it because there was a 4" crack in the rim. I proceeded to ride on said rim for a few months when one day, after riding over a few pot holes, the tire went flat (big suprise). I thought hey........I'll just put in another tube!!! I Dismount the wheel from the rim and begin to pop the bead when..............an 8" section of the rim falls off. I barely touched it. If that had happened while I was riding well......we know what would happen. That was THE stupidest thing I have ever done with my bike. Lesson learned.

I have used a place called Frame Straight and they did a nice job. 800-846-1306 www.motopiazza.com

Latest posts