Bike rentals and routes in San Francisco

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont know,peter ds was good for breakfast,the waitress was sharp as a tack and funny.harris was to uppity for me,was good but pricey for plain old white trash...lol

I've never had business dealing with this guy but I talked with him for about 30 minutes at the Int'l Bike Show. I was also going to suggest trying him.
Well it's at least good to hear someone's talked to him and isn't saying "run away!"

LT 116LT Bohemian Hwy

RT Bodega Hwy

RT Joy Rd.

LT Coleman Valley

RT Hwy 1

RT Meyers Grade

RT Fort Ross Rd

LT Kings Ridge Rd (watch out for free range cows!)

RT Tin Barn

RT Stewarts Point

ST Skaggs Springs (more than likely you'll want to turn around and redo a section of this road... watch out for local law enforcement!)

LT Rockpile Rd.

Stop at lake for a view

RT Rockpile Rd.

ST Skaggs Spring

RT Dry Creek

RT Old Redwood Hwy

RT Westside Rd.

Veer RT to stay on Westside at Wohler

ST/RT River Rd.

Slab back to SF

Lots of options! B)
That's what I'd do! Lot's of great riding on fun roads and great scenery.

Of course, riding South on Hwy 1 ain't too shabby, either...but Saturday with the rest of the tourists!?!?!?!?

My personal best choice would be to cross your fingers and hope for the "Trophy Girl" as a tour guide. :yahoo:
I hadn't thought about tourists...yeah, avoiding them is probably a good thing.

Disclaimer: johnny80s ain't from around here, so take his tourist recs with a grain of salt. But he IS right about that drink thing.
Well rules is rules, if I _have_ to buy you a drink then so be it. ;)

Well, that leaves me out.... :huh:
Hey, I'm gonna try to stay livin' on Central time so that'll be more like 8:00 for me. I'm not much of a morning person but the prospect of riding some of those roads that I've only seen pictures of might be enough to get me up early. Besides, I don't have any personal experience with it but I hear that sunrises can be pretty spectacular. :D

i dont know,peter ds was good for breakfast,the waitress was sharp as a tack and funny.harris was to uppity for me,was good but pricey for plain old white trash...lol
Too pricey for plain old white trash? Well it might be OK for exceptional white trash like myself. :rolleyes:

Too pricey for plain old white trash? Well it might be OK for exceptional white trash like myself. :rolleyes:
== I second that !!! ==== :dribble: :dribble:

B. ;)

Too busy with Scarlett? ;)
Scarlett? :blink:

P.S. Happy Birthday!

Besides, I don't have any personal experience with it but I hear that sunrises can be pretty spectacular. :D
Sunsets are probably better in the Bay Area, since the sun just comes up over the East Bay hills. Sets over the ocean though. From the Wall it sets over San Francisco and the Golden Gate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disclaimer: johnny80s ain't from around here, so take his tourist recs with a grain of salt. But he IS right about that drink thing.
Well rules is rules, if I _have_ to buy you a drink then so be it. ;)

Well, that leaves me out.... :huh:
Hey, I'm gonna try to stay livin' on Central time so that'll be more like 8:00 for me. I'm not much of a morning person but the prospect of riding some of those roads that I've only seen pictures of might be enough to get me up early. Besides, I don't have any personal experience with it but I hear that sunrises can be pretty spectacular. :D
Y'know, IF you're going to start early, there won't be that many tourists on Hwy 1 (either direction). The motorhome/van crowd usually doesn't hit the road until after breakfast (0900).

IMO, the ride South is a more spectacular visual experience once you're below Monterrey BUT there's easy route across to Hwy 101 for a looooong way.

Heading North on Hwy 1 it doesn't get twisty and lovely until you're above Bodega Bay.

I went back and looked at the Trophy Princess' (Tyler's) North route with my map in hand. I'd still vote for that ride. While not along the coastline, there are some amazing motorcycle experiences to be enjoyed on that ride.

Keep in mind that Hwy 1 between Bodega Bay-San Francisco-Monterrey (when not actually IN the cities/metro areas) is fairly straight and flat along the coastal sections. The twisting and turning photos you see where the highway turns through inlets and cross small bridges, when there are miles of that sort of roadway, are taken 10-20 miles (and more) above Bodega or below Monterrey.

Heading North on Hwy 1 it doesn't get twisty and lovely until you're above Bodega Bay.
Pardon me? Hwy 1 is twisty and lovely immediately north of the GGB. Once you make the turn at the Arco station in Mill Valley, you've got a couple miles of houses, and then the cutoff to Mt. Tam. Stay left on Hwy 1 and it's roller coaster city all the way to Stinson Beach. Then it's gorgeous, though no ocean views, up to Pt Reyes Station and Tomales. It's not boring until you hit Valley Ford.

IMO Hwy 1 from SF down to Santa Cruz is boring, then it's a freeway until Carmel. You don't get good riding until south of Carmel, and then it gets REALLY good.

North! North! North! :)

Pardon me? Hwy 1 is twisty and lovely immediately north of the GGB. Once you make the turn at the Arco station in Mill Valley, you've got a couple miles of houses, and then the cutoff to Mt. Tam. Stay left on Hwy 1 and it's roller coaster city all the way to Stinson Beach. Then it's gorgeous, though no ocean views, up to Pt Reyes Station and Tomales. It's not boring until you hit Valley Ford.

IMO Hwy 1 from SF down to Santa Cruz is boring, then it's a freeway until Carmel. You don't get good riding until south of Carmel, and then it gets REALLY good.

North! North! North! :)
You're right, Jerry. Coming from the valley I usually avoid the Mill Valley area and join Hwy 1 @ Bodega or Point Arena.

I was considering he may be thinking of the many pictures of Hwy 1 that are posted on the forum showing lovely cliffs, crashing surf and classic arched bridges on a 2 lane highway along the ocean. As you stated, that is going to be South of Carmel or North of Bodega.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be up there too on June 4th and 5th but I will be in the car with the wife.
R
Real useful, Richard. Real f**kin' useful. :glare:

Some things to see eat:
Molinari's Deli in North Beach - get a sandwich to go

Just down the street is China town - Dim Sum travels well too

House of Prime Rib or Harris' - They are two blocks apart and both have great food. You decide where to eat. Just so you know if you go to either of these places you are required to meet James Burliegh there and buy him a drink. Sorry not my rules.

Peter D's on Van Ness was pretty good for breakfast

Mel's Drive In - from American Graffiti

There is also fisherman's wharf for seafood and chocolate
There is no better place for a sandwich than Molinari's. If you disagree then thems fightin' words. :aikido: Dim Sum is and acquired taste and really only travels well if you like cold dumplings. I agree that Harris' was a little overpriced but it was good and Bill is not total white trash. He was more of a pinkish color. Mel's is a tourist place. I personally stay away from fisherman's wharf but tourists usually go there cause you have to see it once.

My wife is from Millbrae and I have spent quite a bit of time in the Bay Area. So There! I can't believe you doubt my street cred Hans.

Enjoy your ride and make sure to get a sandwich!

Thanks for the advice guys (and gal). Looks like I'll be renting from Pacific Cycle Co. down in San Jose - they have a K1200GT that 1) seems like it would be comfortable for an 8+ hour day and 2) I've been wanting to ride since it was redesigned in '06. So maybe pick it up in San Jose, head out to La Honda and Pescadero and then head up 35 to 92 to 1 and take it across the GGB to points east and then head back down south to San Jose? Or hopefully just follow someone.

Here's my initial stab at it trying to take into account some of ya'lls suggestions - Google Map link. Feel free to offer suggestions and help me refine it.

Oh, and Tyler, happy birthday!

PM me when you know your exact plans..... I will show you those roads if I can get off work........

Good choice of roads dude and depending on your twistie threshold........ I have some other choices right in the same

area.

Brian

Great looking route! I made a couple of tweaks in the East Bay. Got you off of the slab and onto some nice back roads, namely Marsh Creek, Vasco, and Patterson Pass Road. Update here.

As a compromise you could stick with 680 to 580E, but still take Patterson Pass Road as an alternative to the 580 over the Altamont Pass. It's a gajillion times better if you have the time.

How quickly you forget... ;)

Scarlett? :blink:

Scarlett Johansson to snatch me from her dreamy grasp (or was it grasp me away from her dreamy…. Never mind).
Sigh....

scarlett-johansson-2.jpg

Sunsets are probably better in the Bay Area, since the sun just comes up over the East Bay hills. Sets over the ocean though. From the Wall it sets over San Francisco and the Golden Gate.
The Wall? What/where is that? I'd love to get some good sunset pictures.

It's on Grizzly Peak Rd. in the Berkeley foothills.

It's on Grizzly Peak Rd. in the Berkeley foothills.

Thanks Tyler - so sunset pictures something like this. I'm going to have to find a way to get up there at sunset - that just looks too beautiful. Of course, I'm sure it's going to be cloudy the whole week I'm there. :D