Bike to Bike Radio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearly Flying

Reaction score
I recently added a Kenwood 3101 GMRS radio to my Autocomm Pro 7 system. The radio is powered up from the Autocomm system and designed for it. I mounted an external aerial so the radio could be located beneath the seat.

Anyone else running Bike to Bike radio systems?

What channel do most of you guys normally run on?

Is there a common channel most people monitor?

I've never heard of a common channel for GMRS, but my friends and I use channel 333. That's channel 3 with subchannel 33. I guess it just an easy number for us to remember. ;)

We use TK3101's on channel 15. Only the upper (5?) channels are GMRS, others are lower FRS power. But we use a privacy code so we don't hear most others on our channel. Even without the privacy code, GMRS is not as "community" oriented as CB. Probably because the range is not as far as a good CB installation.

I noticed in the literature with the radio, The FCC requires a licence to operate on the GMRS frequencies? In Canada there is no requirement for licence on the GMRS. I wonder if it is going to be a problem crossing the border?

I, um, know lots of people who use unlicensed GMRS radios. Not a one has been hassled (yet). The FCC should have higher priorities and they lost the licensing war when GMRS radios started selling in blister-packs in every store in the land.

My luck would be to run into the Eager Beaver Border Guard and have an international incident over something like that. I think several of Murphy's Law's were passed just for me..

Bearly,

I know the feeling! Somebody should have shot that b*st*ard Murphy before he graduated High School, and really started to screw things up! :assasin:

Even if the FCC really gave a crap, which I contend they don't, it would be pretty hard to run you to ground as long as you're mobile and don't recite your name and address over the radio. My guess is that "Bearly Flying" has little to worry about.

Now if you come rolling over the border in your Osama Bin Laden Halloween costume with that GMRS radio under the seat, all bets are off. :D

Cheers,

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
The documentation I have does not indicate anything illegal about using a GMRS frequency, within the GMRS power limits in the US.

If you belive you have a legal basis for thinking otherwise, please post chapter and verse.

I use Channel 2 with my friends, which is also common among members of bmwst.com. In various parts of the country it can be a busy channel, but is also available to FRS users. When it gets croweded, my GMRS riding patners switch to subchannel 02: 2-02.

Best wishes.

Page iii of the Kenwood TK 3101 Manual

FCC LICENSE INFORMATION

Your KENWOOD radio operates on communication frequencies which are subject to FCC ( Federal Communications Commision) Rules and Regulations. FCC Rules require that all operators using Private Land Mobile radio frequencies obtain a radio license before operating their equipment. Application for license must be made on FCC form 605.

FAX: Forms can be obtained by fax from the FCC, Yadda, Yadda , Yadda...........

Rats, I was planning on wearing that outfit for Reno, now I got nothing to wear.........

I'll have my RINO scanning on the ride to Reno. Of course I would never transmit illegally. Although I do have a radio station license and a radio operators permit thingy. But I'm leaving my airplane at home.

And if I DID transmit, I would NEVER use your real name, licence plate, bike model, etc.. I think the big thing to remember here is that perhaps there are some folks using certain channels for conducting business, whether official or just commercial. If it's crowded, just call to jump to a secondary frequency. Or Tertiary. Predetermined in a secret session, of course.

I like channel 130, as in 1300.

Anybody use their radio enough to make recommendations on freqs?

If you get close to me, your RINO or similar will show me as DOCTHROCK on your GPS. That's kind of cool. Then again, it could bite me in the ass.

If you talk to me on the radidio, Rocket is close enough. Or Lead. Or Sweep. Or Silver. What's the '06 AE color? Oh yeah, exactly the same color I already have. Don't call me "cerulean".

Just be courteous on the radio and you should be fine. Especially out in the boonies. Which is where I hope to be riding the vast majority of the time.

Last time I crossed the US border on my bike it was full search time....They had me empty both saddle bags and my tank bag. Not sure what was going on (slow day or I was the lucky 5th vehicle) but I made it through. If I had of had anything illegal with me I could see me being in a ton of hurt.....

Last time I crossed the US border on my bike it was full search time....They had me empty both saddle bags and my tank bag. Not sure what was going on (slow day or I was the lucky 5th vehicle) but I made it through. If I had of had anything illegal with me I could see me being in a ton of hurt.....
Maybe they were profiling and you looked like a shifty charachter. :p

@ Bearly Flying

What kind of external antenna did you use? Would you happen to have a web site? Is there not some adjusting to controls on the radio while on the move?

Thanks

I took the radio into a Radio Communications Dealer and they picked out the correct RF adapter to connect to the aeriel connection on the radio, they tested the frequencies of the radio and selected the aeriel to match. Sorry I don't know what Name aeriel it would be. Its base loaded approx 24" or 30" whip.

A buddy of mine that I ride with is also getting a system this winter, hopefully we can just set the radio's on whatever channel get the volume set and leave them alone.

The Autocomm system powers the radio and comes with a selector switch mounted on the handlebar, you can select VOX operation for the radio through your intercom, or select PTT for the radio and your intercomm remains VOX. If we are riding solo, we will probably just set it on VOX and leave it. Don

we will probably just set it on VOX and leave it.
I'm all about PTT. Everytime I ride with someone who has VOX, it's always some sort of problem. Usually it's the wind activates the vox and leaves the channel open, or it doesnt activate reliably.

As for myself, I like to sing and talk to myself while riding. The rest of the world doesn't need to hear that.

So far the VOX control on the Autocomm has been really good, haven't had any problems with false activations. But if it's a problem, easy to switch over to PTT. I don't think the rest of the World could handle listening to my singing .

Latest posts