Bike Won't Start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tesla

Reaction score
07 with only 8K miles, new battery. Battery and ignition working fine but it just won't start. I did hook up connections from the tank bag to the battery but thats it. I started it a couple of weeks ago before the bag install without a problem and rode it about 3-4 weeks ago. Gas is less than a month old.

This is probably nothing but I'll mention it anyway. I dropped a nut spring from the 3 cowlings that come together on the right side next to the battery. It is somewhere in the bowels of the bike. Used a magnetic extractor to go fishing and the head of the magnetic extractor broke off and is somewhere next to that area.

Thanks for any help on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
07 with only 8K miles, new battery. Battery and ignition working fine but it just won't start. I did hook up connections from the tank bag to the battery but thats it. I started it a couple of weeks ago before the bag install without a problem and rode it about 3-4 weeks ago. Gas is less than a month old.

This is probably nothing but I'll mention it anyway. I dropped a nut spring from the 3 cowlings that come together on the right side next to the battery. It is somewhere in the bowels of the bike. Used a magnetic extractor to go fishing and the head of the magnetic extractor broke off and is somewhere next to that area.

This may sound stupid but did the little red switch hit the tank bag? Don't ask me how I know this. ;)

Dave

What does "it just won't start" mean exactly?

Is the starter motor able to crank it over? Or is it not even doing that?

It matters for the next step.

More specifics - for example, is starter turning engine over? If so, have you tried cranking with WFO throttle?

Edit: I see the bastard from New England beat me to the punch.

More specifics - for example, is starter turning engine over? If so, have you tried cranking with WFO throttle?

Edit: I see the bastard from New England beat me to the punch.
You Admin's are slowing down around here. :p
For crying out loud we are getting OLDER!!!!

My FJR was born on 08/03. It will be freaking 8 years old soon! I think it's got arthritis. And mi bastard step-pappy must be about 90 or so. At least that's what he looks like.

As soon as we get some more info I am sure our resident electircal guro ( Ionbeam ) will shed more light.

Allen, to the white-phone please!

Key on: gauges sweep and running lights come on?

Starter button: Engine turns over? If not, does the starter relay click? (Right side of frame behind battery.) Kill switch? (Some bikes crank with the kill switch tripped, ours does not.)

Volts on the battery, volts when key is turned on, volts when starter button is pressed?

Yes

Starter button: Engine turns over?

Yes

Kill switch?

Off

Volts on the battery, volts when key is turned on? Volts when starter button is pressed?

Yes but dont have a voltage meter.

It almost started after an hour of it on the battery tender (connected through tank bag power). Is it possible sub optimal gas became worse after sitting for 3-4 weeks? Would putting some fuel treatment in help?

Thanks for the responses guys.

Fuel treatment won't do anything. If you have bad gas, you'll want to drain and refill with fresh. But I doubt that's your problem.

Did you try cranking with Wide Open Throttle?

Sometimes FJRs that sit for a few weeks get cranky when trying to start. That's the first thing you need to do after you have charged up the battery sufficiently.

Yes

Yes
Does it turn over FAST? Or does it go "urr-urr-urr-urr"

Hardly likely that gas is gonna go bad in 3 months, much less 3 weeks. Stick around and wait for some really good answers....they're comin'

Yes

Yes

Hardly likely that gas is gonna go bad in 3 months, much less 3 weeks. Stick around and wait for some really good answers....they're comin'
This's a job for ionbeam! tesla, consider sending ionbeam a private message; Alan S. will have the answer to this one, six ways from Sunday!

Turns over fast and strong. I did twist the throttle a bit but nothing close to wide open. Tempting to go out and try again but need to be patient and let battery tender do its work.

I did a search with different search terms and see that this has been covered before. I admire everyones restraint being that this is Friday. I still would like to hear everyones responses though. I get the feeling that many of you like troubleshooting.

Poor Fred. Alan gets all the credit.

You know mi poor bastard step-pappy, there are others besides our illustrious ionbeam who can help here. For example, FredW and wfooshee are purty good too.

Yes

Yes

This's a job for ionbeam! tesla, consider sending ionbeam a private message; Alan S. will have the answer to this one, six ways from Sunday!
Being Friday I need to ask.....is this a trap?