Biketoberfest FJR Sightings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grievous Angel

Reaction score
I saw many FJRs at Biketoberfest. There were several at Hooters across from the race track at the Hooters on Thursday. Then Friday morning I saw 3 at the BMW dealership (where they were giving demo rides). I guess we can see who Yamaha was targeting with the FJR! Saw a bagless one at the Broken Spoke, right by the spotlights, on Friday night. Roll call?

A few random thoughts:

- I saw as many Harleys being trailered down as I saw getting ridden down. I suppose they backed them off the trailer, into the high-vis spot in front of the bars, and then got drunk for a few days.

- The "rugged individual/rebel" HD crowd outnumbered every other style and brand by about 10 to 1.

- The "loud pipes save lives" crowd apparently think helmets don't.

- Daytona is out to kill bikers. Lots of alcohol, no helmet laws, a quarter-million bikes--no wonder people get killed every year. Been there, done that, got the Tshirt, don't think I'll go back.

- The FJR was a dream on the 1200+ mile round trip.

- Definitely need a throttle lock or cruise control. Throttlemeister?

- Biketoberfest (and, I assume, Bike Week) is as much about being seen as anything else.

- Demoed the BMW K1200R naked sportbike. She's quick, and has a very nice exhaust note when ridden hard, but the shifter wasn't as crisp and brakes weren't as good as the FJR's. Not sure that translates to the more touring oriented bikes competing with the FJR, but I bet it does.

- Must. Get. Good. Raingear. 4 hours down, 2 hours back, a realy gully washer. Squishy toes, cold . . yuck. Had a lot of confidence in the rain, though, on my big bad FJR.

- Still say the windhsield has no good position. The lowest isn't low enough, too much racket at my helmet. Maybe I just need a premium helmet. But I think having a few inches off the stock shield would be perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
...too much racket at my helmet.
Do you wear earplugs? Coming home from work today, I forgot to put mine in and couldn't believe how noisy it was. Won't do that again!
Yeah, and it was still loud. I think it's my helmet. It's just a shade over 100 bucks for an entry level HJC. Plenty comfy. I could hold a glove up and break the wind (experimenting) and the sound would be fine.

Another random thought or two:

- One FJR at hooters had the Yammi top box. Looks way better (IMO) than the Givi boxes, and if I go that route I think I'll definitely get it.

- Two of the FJRs at hooters had digital temp guages mounted on the dash (same farkle). Kinda neat, I suppose, just not sure what they're for, unless you want the exact temp.

That was not my bike at Hooters, That was not my bike at Hooters! I told my bud that someone would see us and tell my wife. I only go there for the wings :rolleyes: The traffic was bad even the numbers were down this year.....and it was HOT! 92 degrees on Friday at the race track. Way too many assholes and egos. By the way, I sold my Harley on Saturday. When you live this close to Daytona and still choose to ride the FJR to Bikeweek, its time to sell.

I was camping was a BMW friend at the RV campground off Old Dixie Highwayand I95 in Bunnell - there were a couple more FJR's camping too - one fellow was from FT. Lauderdale on his beautiful 06 FJR. Rode up and down US 1 and the loop a lot - even went to Iron Horse with all the crazies. I get along fine with the HD crowd - they do their thing and I do mine - just a matter of attitude...but it was kinda fun when I got on a stretch of Interstate to blow by them at the nominal FJR speeds fully loaded with camping gear and bags. :D

Living in Jacksonville, Daytona is, of course, only a hop, skip, and jump away. I find myself less inclined to go to Bike Week or Biketoberfest each year. In fact, the last two years I've only gone to the exhibitors set-up at the race track.....haven't bothered to go to the Main Street scene at all. I will go by the Iron Horse Saloon on my way back to Jax just to join the crazies for a brief spell.

The insane traffic levels and so many idiot riders have kind of soured my desire to be a part of the whole affair. I, like many, used to really anticipate going.....but, like someone said, it is mostly an exhibition of those seeking to be seen. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It's just not my bag anymore...I must be getting old.

I haven't seen the count this year, but last year there were 13 bikers killed in accidents during Bike Week. If you go down there and get into the fracas you had better ride on red alert the whole time.

I was staying at an Ormond Beach Condo and spotted a Blue FJR, I left a note on the saddle saying hi; anyone from this Forum? I figured probably not but left a note just in case.

I saw a lot of good people (all makes, all models) and also saw my share of jerks (all makes, all models). I think the death toll for this three day event was five; too bad about these fatalities but there was plenty of blame to go around for unsafe operation.

Saw trailering for all makes and models so I hold no pre-conceived prejudice to any type. Loud pipes was a bit much, and of course the majority were the big twins but I heard a lot of loud metric cruisers and even some sport bikes as well.

I wasn't on my bike, as we were on a family vacation, but thought I'd inject some of what I saw.

I met up with "pickax" on Friday evening at the Yamaha tent at the speedway. When I walked up to the tent, noticed there were 3 bikes parked close to the tent. The one that stuck out was a pink bike which was not an FJR. Did not look closely at the three just went on. When leaving the event heading back to Lake Mary, the three bikes were in the far right lane heading for the Y at 95 to Jacksonville which, I believe, included a FJR with reflective tape on the back of the bags. I tried to catch up while changing lanes and didn't make it (cause the blue one is faster?). Don't know who the mystery FJR rider was. Hopefully, all can join in on our Ocala Forest ride this weekend.

Also, was concerned about how bad the traffic was going to be that Friday afternoon. Approaching Daytona, the freeway was backed up going west for miles due to an accident but my ride was clear sailing the whole way there and back. Didn't want to get around the 1A area.

That was not my bike at Hooters, That was not my bike at Hooters! I told my bud that someone would see us and tell my wife. I only go there for the wings :rolleyes:

The last time I was at a Hooters, the only thing skinnier than the waitresses legs were the wings. Gail and I rode up that Friday, but took the LT.

Hey guys, I was at the event. I rode down from Central Illinois with my two Harley Dressser buddies. Total miles for the trip was just under 2500. I saw a few FJR's but not many. Two (05's) of which were fairly close to me in a parking lot down on Main Street. Don't know if it's anyone here though.

We stayed in the Ormond Beach area in a Motel. First time I've been to Daytona and we had a great time. I will say one thing. You Georgia boys take no offense to this, but I have to say the worst drivers in the USA live in Georgia!

Anyhow, I hope to get back there, maybe even next year. Will stay longer next time.

Smoke.