blowing hazard flasher fuse

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrjonesing

Reaction score
This has been going on for the past couple of months and I've run out of ideas. Here's what I know.

The fuse lasts less than 5 minutes while riding. (Never blows immediately though). Bike can sit idling, with the turn signals on, and not blow the fuse. It's not the hazard switch- that's disconnected. Using the turn signals or flashers does not necessarily blow the fuse. I haven't added any electrical farkles recently. I did do a plug change/TBS about 500 miles prior to this starting, so the tank and seat were up. I raised the tank this weekend to look for a pinched wire but no joy

Can anyone tell me where the signal wires run to the back of the bike? Any other suggestions appreciated. Hate to think of taking it in to the dealership and paying $70/hour to have them run this down.

TIA-

Jim/jonesin'

The rear signal wires are in the wiring harness on the left side of the bike. This harness runs along the inside of the left side of the frame. It branches off to the fuses and the hazard switch on the front left. The wires from the handlebar turn signal switch connect to the harness just to the front of the engine head on the right side just inside the frame. Finally the turn signal indicator lamps connect to the harness under the front cowl.

The wires going out to the front turn signals are likely the most exposed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it blows without the flashers on its between the fuse and the switch.

It goes from the fuse to the flasher relay then to the left bar switch assembly and to the hazard switch.

Edit. Oops, misunderstood which fuse, and went back to wiring diagram.

Brake light is on one fuse, hazards on another, running lights another. I'm looking at a GenI diagram, thinking. . . .

Will get back if I have a brilliant idea.

Edit II:

Fuse feeds the turn signal relay (flasher). From there the circuit goes to the turn switch, and the hazard switch is tapped onto the same wires. (It just energizes both sides instead of only one side.) From the switch the wiring carries current to the bulbs.

(Those of you who insist the electrons come from the negative side just be quiet. In physics and motor vehicles, the current source is the positive side, which is why we put the fuses there.)

If you've got high draw, enough to blow the fuse after a certain amount of time, my guess is you've got corrosion somewhere. Pull all the bulbs and check the contacts and the sockets. Could be the flasher itself, also. I don't think it would actually be the wiring - a shorted wire would always be shorted, not just after a few minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it blows without the flashers on its between the fuse and the switch.It goes from the fuse to the flasher relay then to the left bar switch assembly and to the hazard switch.
This makes sense, Rogue. There is continuity through the relay. Guess that leaves the switch. Can this be checked without tearing into it?

Thanks, guys.

Jim/jonesin'

If it blows without the flashers on its between the fuse and the switch.It goes from the fuse to the flasher relay then to the left bar switch assembly and to the hazard switch.
This makes sense, Rogue. There is continuity through the relay. Guess that leaves the switch. Can this be checked without tearing into it?

Thanks, guys.

Jim/jonesin'

How is the hazard switch disabled? Check for sludge there and in the switch housing which could cause a high resistance short.

Thanks, guys.

Jim/jonesin'

How is the hazard switch disabled? Check for sludge there and in the switch housing which could cause a high resistance short.

I've unplugged it (the hazard switch/button). Guess I'll tear into the turn signal switch in the AM.

BTW and in case you're wondering. I still reserve the right to be pissed at cagers for not signalling, despite the fact that mine have not worked for a couple of months. Guess I'm just funny that way.

Jim

It was in the switch- had it replaced under YES and the problem went away.

(Sorry. Should have closed the loop.)

Good luck with yours. Mine was an 05 as well...

Jim

Jim,

Thank You Very Much for posting your experience with blown turn signal fuses !!!!

I replaced my turn signal switch and the problem is now fixed !

Hooray ! No more blown fuses .... after 3 weeks of commuting, I am thrilled every time I use my turn signals and they don't blow another fuse !

2005 FJR, 42,000 Miles, Awesome Bike - every time I ride !

On the GenII's, if you remove the inner cowls, you'll most likely see green corrosion at the front turn signal connectors........ not waterproof. Clean 'em, grease 'em..... might be enough bridging of corrosion to cause a fuse to blow......