Boat oil question for the collective.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregory

Great things are afoot
Reaction score
This was (and still is) the summer of fire.

Got the boat out twice this summer. The first run was to burn most of the fuel I put in last October for storage (treated of course) and the second was for family fun. Then the fires came, and the boat sat, and sat and still sits. Too damn smoky to go out. I was hoping to get one more run in prior to storage, but it don't look like it's gonna happen. Bought a siphon kit and going to drain the fuel and replace with fresh and stable

When I put the boat away last October, I changed the oil, filter and water/fuel separator. I think there may be all of 5 hours on the oil.

5 liter V-8 I/O

So the question is, leave the oil/filter till the end of next season, or change prior to storage.

Crap, just remembered lower drive oil is in the same situation too.

Anyway,

Thanks!

As long as there is no water in the drive the oil is good for a long time cause there is no combustion process to contaminate it. On the engine oil I wouldn't worry about it but that's just an opinion. At only 5 hours running time it really hasn't had a chance to create a lot of acid or condensation.

Lower unit oil is probably not an issue. The engine is (I am guessing here) just a marinized small block Chevrolet so the oil and filter should be nothing special. What would you do about the oil if you had a Chevy truck with the same hours and usage?

You are probably over thinking this. Can you run the engine with a water hose supplying cooling water? I would let it come to operating temp or maybe even drive it to the nearest boat landing and let it idle on the trailer from time to time.

I like my boat motors like I like my motorcycles. Dead nuts reliable and with the word Yamaha on the cover.

Greg - youre fine. Fuel stabilizer and batteries on the tender charger. Then cover it and forget it.

Don't forget a bit of rodent poison for the storage time , litte batages raise hell on the wiring. I can hook you with the good stuff up if needed.
whistle.gif

Don't forget a bit of rodent poison for the storage time , litte batages raise hell on the wiring. I can hook you with the good stuff up if needed. :whistle:
I could use some of that good stuff up here. The little four legged bastard are taking over. They seem to like the insulation in the barn.

This thread has me jonesing. I've owned boats since I was 15 years old. True story - I got my first boat before I could legally drive. If I sat down and really thought about it, I suppose I've owned 20 or more boats in my life. All small boats - that largest was only 20 feet. All of the fiberglass models were rotten "projects" that were all I could afford. I've picked fiberglass from my skin many a night.

All of my boats were outboard motors, except the couple that had no motor. I know they are much better now, but as long as I live, I will NEVER have a boat motor with the word "Mercury" or "Mariner" on it. Never. Ever. I've had more OMC V4's than I can remember, and I loved that design for it's simplicity and relative efficiency for its power. At one point in the 90s, I could remove the power head from my 115 Evinrude, disassemble it, hone the cylinders, re-ring it, and have it all back together and running on the ear muffs in about 3 hours.

Saltwater is hard on boats, especially anything electrical. I've learned a few tips along the way that help, but in the end, it's only a matter of time.

Now, I've got a small aluminum boat with a Yamaha 90 on the transom. That little 3 cylinder motor is so stupid reliable - it's got well over 700 hours on it, and compression is still well within spec. It starts cold beautifully and just runs. Yamaha builds a lot of good stuff besides motorcycles.

I have so many memories with my boats, they often get confused or clouded with each other. My fondest memories are those I have with my dad. Fishing the coastal reefs for speckled trout and redfish. Weekends at a coastal camp with friends, playing cards and drinking until 3 am, then getting up at 6 to go fishing. Cleaning fish on my redwood picnic table bench with my neighbor, and frying up a few with a cold beer after that.

When I retire and move to the mountains, I probably won't have a need for a boat. After almost 40 years, that will take some getting used to...

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget a bit of rodent poison for the storage time , litte batages raise hell on the wiring. I can hook you with the good stuff up if needed.
whistle.gif
I got a cat that likes to sleep on the cover, so I am good there.

BUT, if you anything that will take out pack rats, my dad would be happy to talk to ya for a bit!