Brake Job on 06 model

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

un4gvn

Reaction score
The unified brake system has reared its ugly downside....The msrp for a set of OEM brake pad to cover the front and rear is close to $300.00. WITHOUT LABOR! Holy crap, I hope EBC has something to offer!

What?! Um, for pads only?! Dude, at least make sure you get a jar of Vaseline, too! IMO, you be gittin' screwed, glued and tattoed wit dat dealeo, yo.

The unified brake system has reared its ugly downside....The msrp for a set of OEM brake pad to cover the front and rear is close to $300.00. WITHOUT LABOR! Holy crap, I hope EBC has something to offer!
$300 for brake pads only?? Yikes, you might want to call around a little before ponying up for that set of unobtainium.

You need new brake pads already? How many miles do you have on your bike?

Its true, I work for the dealer, and looked the parts up myself. Hopefully a glitch in the micrfiche program. As for the mileage, 8,000 or so. The pads are not worn out yet, but I am getting ready to leave for a 6-8,000 mile trip in a few weeks and wanted to start out on fresh rubber and fresh brake pads.

Its true, I work for the dealer, and looked the parts up myself. Hopefully a glitch in the micrfiche program. As for the mileage, 8,000 or so. The pads are not worn out yet, but I am getting ready to leave for a 6-8,000 mile trip in a few weeks and wanted to start out on fresh rubber and fresh brake pads.
Dude!

Read another recent thread floating around here on the subject of brake pads. I have 50,000 on my current front pads with more to go, and 80,000 on my stock rear pads, and in an hour I leave for an 8,000 mile + two weeks of riding.

8,000 miles? Fresh brake pads? I don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree with the others, should be plenty of life left in those babies. If you're intent on setting some new pads on, I'll buy the ones you're removing!

Perhaps I have been overly aggressive in my riding. My pads are appx. 50% right now and the rear tire is well into the wear marker. The front tire is cupped as well.

There is some info in the service manual, going from memory here (im on business travel).

The pads need to be checked individually, and replace accordingly.

How they work: The front brake lever actuates both sets of pistons on the left, but only 1 set on the right. Supposedly the left and right pads are different composition to keep the braking even with the linked braking system.

The rear brake lever actuates the rear and the other half of the front right.

So -- the service manual recommends checking for wear individually (if you use alot of front brake, it is very possible that only the left side pads need to be replaced.)

There's also some info that suggests that the pads may be different for front left and front right -- to keep the friction coefficient the same with just the front lever (to keep the braking force even on both rotors), but IMHO that doesn't make sense to me. If that is the case -- then with hand lever and foot lever -- there would be an INCREASE in braking force on the front right rotor...

anyway -- if the part number for an 06 (a or ae) is the same for the left and the right -- that wouldn't make sense either.

.........and the rear tire is well into the wear marker. The front tire is cupped as well.
Bridgestone 020's? That sounds about right! They're known for cupping the front and if you are at the wear marker, replace it NOW. 'Stones rears are known for wearing through the last bit of tread really quickly. When it looks like you have 1500 miles left, count on 500 safely and you're looking at casing.

So, you get 8k out of a rear tire, but expect only 16k out of front brake pads? Something don't add up....

32k miles on my 05 brake pads and stopping well. Joe Average rider is should not need brake pads at 8k miles.

Was talking with a YZF-600R owner the other night and his bike uses up rear brake pads every 4k miles. Said according to forums this is normal.. Not to me it isn't..