brakeaway cruise control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangers4094

Reaction score
howdy.

I am thinking about purchasing the brakeaway cruise system for my FJR and was wondering if anybody else has this on their bike, or what cruise control systems you guys recommend.

thanks,

josh

There are some people using it. It works fine. It's expensive. It's just a over engineered throttle lock.

Other throttle locks -

Vista Cruise - NEP - (plastic, inexpensive and functional)

Throttle meister(bar end style) spendy and not everyone finds the function intuitive. (cheaper than the brakaway)

If you like quality engineering and build, it is a great item. But it is not a cruise control. It is a throttle lock (the best available). Big difference. If the road goes up, or down, you will have to adjust accordingly. While I have one, most of my riding is on less than flat roads, so I don't often use it. It is really only useful on fairly flat slab.

I had one on a previous bike, I really enjoyed it, especially in flat kansas. Great quality. Installation for fjr sounded pretty complex so I decided not to get one.

S.

I have the Brakeaway on my 07' and I really like it It came on the bike when I bought it, which was a good thing, because it is really expensive for a throttle lock at around $250. I like the fact that applying the front brake disengages the lock, a nice feature. It is a high quality device that does exactly what it is supposed to do, and looks great doing it. Only you can decide if you are willing to pay that much $$ to solve a problem that can be solved for much less.

My $.02

As said above--not a cruise control, per se.

Since you're asking for recommendations, I would recommend sourcing an Audiovox unit from ebay and installing it. They're getting pricey, but if you're going to spend more than a few bucks anyway, you'll be glad you did.

Good luck,

Shane

I have a Breakaway on my V Max and it works flawlessly. I have a Madco on my FJR that I bought here from a Forum member, at a fraction of the cost and it's every bit as good.

Jack.

I've got throttle meisters on my 05 and even here in flatland florida, they are useless, slightest uphill and your at 30 mph, little downhill and your at 90, go with the audiovox, pain to install, but works great

I've got a breakaway on my 2008 FJR, and have had quite a bit of trouble with it. I find that the tension settings need adjustment when the temperature varies by about thirty degrees. So when I'm riding in a rally, and its hot in the daytime and cold at night, either the throttle lock will not engage in the daytime or it will slip at nite.

I recently installed the Rostra electronic cruise control for about the same $$$ as I paid for the breakaway. I urge you to consider the cruise control versus the throttle lock.

Howard

I've got the Vista Cruise universal 1" on my FJR and it works great. I don't notice that big of a change in speed on the small hills in Florida.

I bought an '07 with the previous owner having installed the Breakaway throttle lock.

I am not a big fan. Even when the road is flat, I have a tough time maintaining speed. Don't get me wrong. I am glad I have it. It gives me some reprieve on my wrist. However, I wouldn't buy it new as a farkle.

I've got a breakaway on my 2008 FJR, and have had quite a bit of trouble with it. I find that the tension settings need adjustment when the temperature varies by about thirty degrees. So when I'm riding in a rally, and its hot in the daytime and cold at night, either the throttle lock will not engage in the daytime or it will slip at nite.
I recently installed the Rostra electronic cruise control for about the same $$$ as I paid for the breakaway. I urge you to consider the cruise control versus the throttle lock.

Howard
Do you have a walkthrough on the Rostra install?

I have a Breakaway on my 05. Works great. Holds whatever speed I set as long as the road is flat. Easy to add or subtract throttle as the terrain changes. Certainly is not a cruise control but does the job for me.

that madco product, is that the cock and lock product that is advertised on there site. It looks fundamentally the same type of product that brakeaway is, just a little cheaper.

Just installed one on my 2010 and love it, install is easy (removing grip hardest part) and looks really great on the bike. Very well made, bought mine on ebay $199 free shippiing.

Looks very nice, and it appears to be made well, and I'm sure it's costy to manufacture. But I would never buy another.

As suggested, it's fickle, hard to adjust to get it just right, and installation was painstaking. Also, it's expensive, especially when compared to alternatives. I've had to push it so hard to get it to "stick" that it hurts my thumb to do so. Then it occasionally unlocks, even after making regular adjustments. I have little confidence in the thing.

Did I mention expensive?

I've just ordered the Go Cruise based on reading this thread and will try it out. It's less than one-tenth the cost of the BrakeAway. Considering taking off the BrakeAway if it works well.