C14 Engine Update - Long

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCRIDER007

Reaction score
It has been a long cold winter (and spring) in Washington and I now have 2300 miles on the C14 and enough experience on the C14 to talk about its engine performance and how it compares to my 05 FJR. My initial impressions was that the FJR had a power advantage below 4000 rpms but the C14 made more power above 6500 rpms (and was a lot smoother). This was pretty much confirmed by a test I will describe later.

As a bit of background, the C14 has the highly touted Variable Value Timing (VVT) which advances cam timing by 23 degrees and is supposed to reduce to and to build power over a very wide rpm range -- but when it was introduced everyone was asking what happened to the low end power. It turned out that one set of engineers designed a very flexible engine with great low end power and another set of engineers worked with the lawyers to mute the low end power and protect Joe Public from himself, using the same technology they put on the ZX-14.

The C14 has secondary butterflies (flies) that are controlled by the ECU and are almost totally closed until 4000 rpms in the first 4 gears and not fully open until around 6000 rpms. The result is a very docile and easy to ride motorcycle that also has a very smooth power delivery and relatively slow throttle response in gears 1-4. Gears 5 and 6 start opening the flies much sooner and may also have different fuel maps and ignition curves, but no one knows for sure and Kawasaki isn't talking. Every C14 dyno run I have seen in a magazine or on the Internet appears to be using 4th gear. The C14 also has a 24 inch, 20 pound muffler, that is full of baffles to meet the European noise standards and greatly restricts air flow -- and oddly enough, the standard fuel map is very rich between 2000-3500 and 8700-10,500 rpms which also has a negative impact on both low and top end performance.

My FJR is bone stock in the engine and exhaust department and I really intended to leave the C14 in a stock configuration but it was a long winter and after a month of looking at the cannon hanging off the C14, which is really ugly with the bags off, I ordered an AreaP carbon slip off and power commander from Fuel Moto USA. I had never purchased a slip on or PC but FuelMoto had some very impressive dyno runs using that slip on with their custom PC map, about a 13.5 HP and 5.3 torque increase, most coming at above 5000 rpms but still impressive. The AreaP slip on was also 14 pounds lighter.

I bought the PC because was worried about having a dangerously lean condition with the AreaP but that was not necessary, FuelMoto's custom map actually leaned the fuel mixture over 90 percent of the fuel cells, the same as Dynojet's map for a stock C14. However, the PC is probably responsible for half the HP gain on the dyno since the C14 is drowning in its own fuel at high rpms (the same thing Cycleworld reported on the 2008 ZX-14).

I installed the AreaP and PC in mid-January and found that FuelMoto's dyno curve seemed pretty accurate. There was a small increase in the low end power but the difference at 5000 rpms was very noticeable and it seemed to have a big hit at 6000 rpms that went all the way to redline. It also seemed to accelerate in 4th as hard as it previously did in 3rd and the acceleration above triple digit speeds in 4th, 5th, and 6th seemed to be linear, it would just kept going at a constant rate up to an indicated 150 mph.

What about low end power? FuelMoto also has fuel maps for those that wanted to completely remove the "flies" and results are pretty remarkable with 20 pound torque increases at 3000 rpms and 95 pounds of torque at 3500 rpms. There is also a small increase in torque above 6000 rpms all the way to redline and a 3 HP gain. This mod is very easy to do but a PC is required to avoid a dangerously lean condition. The downside is slightly lower gas mileage and maybe too much power and throttle response for low traction conditions.

An alternative is one of the TREs (Timing Reduction Eliminator) that fools the ECU into thinking its in a different gear. There is a YouTube video of the C14 on a dyno that demonstrates the difference in low end performance between 4th and 5th gear, and it is substantial, 15 pounds of torque at 3000 rpms, even more at 2500 rpms. GiPro makes very nice TRE that has its own gear display and allows you to emulate either 5th or 6th gear or turn it off and use the stock maps. It works by intercepting the voltage signal that is sent from the gear selector to the ECU, using that signal for its display, and then sending the voltage signal for the selected gear to the ECU. The ECU then displays the gear being emulated on the C14's dash display. Selecting 5th gear is a "soft" setting, 6th gear is a "hard" setting and there is a noticeable difference in 5th gear when the hard setting is selected so the 6th gear map is either opening the flies sooner or has a different fuel map/ignition curve then 5th gear. In either case, the power increase in the lower gears is very impressive (like WOW -- this is the way it should come from the factory) and the throttle response is much quicker, there isn't any hesitation, when you turn the throttle it just goes. I would guess that I am getting 75-80 percent of the power increase I would get with the flies completely removed and am very satisfied with the results, especially since I can turn it off in low traction conditions.

How does my modified C14 compare to my bone stock FJR? The only testing I have done to date is a roll on at various speeds between 2 signs (about 200 yards apart) in a remote area a few miles from my house. Not very scientific but I have done it enough that my results are usually with 1 mph and it avoids the problem of using different riders of different weights -- and it is surprising how much a 35 pound difference in rider weight can effect a roll on result. My test measures the differences in terminal speed, not elapsed time. Two bikes with the same terminal speed may have much different elapsed times if one has a quicker throttle response and that bike may appear to have a stronger engine but a dyno run will probably show that they are about the same. The FJR has a quicker throttle response than the C14 but this is reversed when the C14 is using the TRE.

In stock configuration, the (new) C14 accelerated from 70 mph to 105 in 5th gear, the same as my 05 FJR. Both bikes were indicating 4000 rpms at 70 mph and it validated my seat of the pants impression that they were pretty equal between 4-6000 rpms. I should mention that the overall gear reduction ratios between the FJR and C14 are pretty similar in the first 5 gears. The FJR has a 10.96 gear reduction in 1st gear and a 4.03 gear reduction in 5th gear. The C14's respective gear reductions are10.56 and 4.09. The C14 is really a 5 speed with an overdrive rather than a 6 speed. The overdrive's gear reduction is 3.40.

When I added the AreaP exhaust and PC, the C14's terminal speed increased to 110 and it was just hitting its power band.

I added the GiPro TRE to increase the C14's low end power so for the next tests I used a starting speed of 50 mph, about 3500 rpms in 4th gear and 3000 rpms in 5th. The FJR had a terminal speed of 95 in 5th gear and 102 in 4th. The C14, with the TRE emulating 6th gear, had terminal speeds of 105 in 5th gear and 112 in 4th. When I turned the TRE off, the terminal speeds dropped to 100 in 5th gear and 108 in 4th, which indicated that the TRE was not making as much difference as I thought, and that the C14 with the AreaP exhaust and PC was a pretty strong performer even at 3000 rpms.

If you assume my numbers are accurate, then my modified C14 can accelerate from 50 mph to 105 in the same distance that the fully stock (low mileage) C14 did 70 mph to 105 and that the modified C14 is a gear faster (from 50 mph) than my stock FJR. There isn't any doubt that the C14 has the stronger engine, 6 different riders have ridden both and agreed but I don't know if the difference is that great. Once the weather warms up and we have the time to ride to a very secluded testing area, we can run them side by side and see what happens.

To change the subject a bit, I am one of the few that has never thought that the FJR needed a 6th (overdrive) gear but I really like riding the C14 in OD at highway speeds. I don't think it makes much difference in gas mileage but the engine is so smooth and seems so "relaxed" that the FJR seems "buzzy" in comparison. I am now a OD convert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice testing and writeup. I was considering a C14, but pretty much ruled it out after the test reports I read indicated no real advantage in lower rpm, real world type of riding. A few more horsepower on the top end doesn't mean much to me.

I was convinced, before reading any actual test reports, that the variable valve timing would result in a much stronger low end (compared to the FJR) along with a better top end. What is the point of adding variable valve timing, and then removing any/all advantages? I am still scratching my head over that one.

Interesting to know that the dumbing-down can be removed, if you really want to. I will still stay with the FJR, for at least a few more years, but the information you found is very interesting and much appreciated.

What is the point of adding variable valve timing, and then removing any/all advantages? I am still scratching my head over that one.
Emissions. If you want an engine to make power at 8000 rpm or higher, you need a considerable amount lot of valve timing overlap (time during which both the intake and the exhaust valve are open). At low rpms, this is undesirable and can let a significant amount of unburned fuel/air mixture to escape from into the exhaust stream. By altering the valve timing, this can be dramatically reduced (giving the added benefit that the motor doesn't have to be tuned lean at low RPMs).

This is also one of the primary reasons why cars are slowing getting direct fuel injection (where the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber after all the valves are closed) rather than injected at the intake port in the head. I'd expect to see this on bikes at some point in the future as well.

-Uwe-

What is the point of adding variable valve timing, and then removing any/all advantages? I am still scratching my head over that one.
Emissions. If you want an engine to make power at 8000 rpm or higher, you need a considerable amount lot of valve timing overlap (time during which both the intake and the exhaust valve are open). At low rpms, this is undesirable and can let a significant amount of unburned fuel/air mixture to escape from into the exhaust stream. By altering the valve timing, this can be dramatically reduced (giving the added benefit that the motor doesn't have to be tuned lean at low RPMs).
Uwe,

You are absolutely correct about the VVT's ability to limit emissions (and the US models do not have O2 sensors) but I think the question is "why limit the low end power output" with the secondary butterflies? My personal opinion is that Kawasaki just went a bit too far to protect riders from themselves, just like they did on the 2006-07 ZX-14s. I like the C14's docile engine response in first and second, I don't think it is needed after that. The GiPro TRE is fun to have for roll on bragging rights but its hard on gas mileage and tire life and most of the time I have it turned off. Kawasaki has already completed some C14 owner surveys and there is a good chance that the 2009 model will copy Suzuki's lead and have a power selection switch.

Nice write-up '007, can't wait to catch another ride on it. (That is providing there's any tires left :blink: )

--G

007(Benchracer),

Too bad it costs so much money to mod the C14 to get good performance gains. Pulling the flies is cheap but the power commander and custom tune isn't. Though, it still won't beat a modded air boxed FJR in roll ons, in any gear. My recipe for HP/Tq increases on the FJR only calls for a set of slip ons... The rest is free ponies!! The C14 is extra pricey compared to the FJR..From valve checks to power increases.. BUT you already know all this.... and to each his own. Say Hi to all your peeps on the C14 forum. Oh ya, your lying through your teeth about the gear ratios on the C14 compared to he FJR.. ;)

Ok Keyboard Cowboy, here you go:

Lets have a quick lesson on gear ratios, primary drive and final drive ratios.. The smaller the gear ratio number equals the larger the gear actually is. Accordingly, the larger the gear, the lower the revolutions (higher speeds in that gear, but less acceleration) BUT the lower revolutions equal less acceleration. Thus, the larger the gear ratio numbers, the better acceleration of the ratio compared side by side to other ratios (with the primary and final drive ratios into the equations of course).

REMEMBER... THE LARGER THE RATIO EQUALS THE BETTER GEARING FOR ACCELERATION!!

The 08 C14's Gear ratios:............................The Gen II FJR1300's Gear Ratios

Primary reduction ratio is : 1.556.................Primary reduction ratio is : 1.553

1st gear:3.333...........................................1st gear:2.529

2nd gear:2.412..........................................2nd gear:1.773

3rd gear:1.900..........................................3rd gear:1.348

4th gear:1.545..........................................4th gear:1.070

5th gear:1.292..........................................5th gear:0.929

6th gear:1.074..........................................

Final reduction ratio:2.036..........................Final reducton ratio:2.550

007, as you an see.. You don't have a F'n clue about what your talking about! Do the MATH!! The C14 has a huge gearing advantage for acceleration compared to the Gen II FJR's.

YOU ARE THE BULLSHITTER!!

Check the facts on your Kawi:

https://www.kawasaki-pboro.demon.co.uk/scripton/sptour.html

Go spread your lies where people don't know any better!

WW

(edited to fix my typo)

WOW, the Popcorn Fest is over here too???

Two spots to get our thrills from, before Friday. Imagine that.....

Ok Keyboard Cowboy, here you go:Lets have a quick lesson on gear ratios, primary drive and final drive ratios.. The smaller the gear ratio number equals the larger the gear actually is. Accordingly, the larger the gear, the lower the revolutions (higher speeds in that gear, but less acceleration) BUT the lower revolutions equal less acceleration. Thus, the larger the gear ratio numbers, the better acceleration of the ratio compared side by side to other ratios (with the primary and final drive ratios into the equations of course).

REMEMBER... THE LARGER THE RATIO EQUALS THE BETTER GEARING FOR ACCELERATION!!

The 08 C14's Gear ratios:............................The Gen II FJR1300's Gear Ratios

Primary reduction ratio is : 1.556.................Primary reduction ratio is : 1.553

1st gear:3.333...........................................1st gear:1.563

2nd gear:2.412..........................................2nd gear:2.529

3rd gear:1.900..........................................3rd gear:1.773

4th gear:1.545..........................................4th gear:1.070

5th gear:1.292..........................................5th gear:0.929

6th gear:1.074..........................................

Final reduction ratio:2.036..........................Final reducton ratio:2.550

007, as you an see.. You don't have a F'n clue about what your talking about! Do the MATH!! The C14 has a huge gearing advantage for acceleration compared to the Gen II FJR's.

YOU ARE THE BULLSHITTER!!
Webby,

If you don't want others to think you are a fool then you need to stop acting like one! I don't know if you have a reading or a typing problem but most of your FJR ratios are wrong -- which you would have noticed if you had enough common sense to realize that 1st gear is always geared lower than 2nd gear. I don't know where you got your numbers for the FJR but mine came from the owners manual and it says the Primary reduction ratio is 1.563. The gear reductions for the first 3 gears are actually 2.529 (43/17), 1.773 (34/22), and 1.348 (31/23). I don't have an owners manual for a second gen FJR but the Final reduction ratio for the 05 FJR is 2.77 and I would estimate about 2.70 for the 06-07 models since Yamaha only changed one tooth on one gear. You did manage, somehow, to get the correct numbers for the C14.

Now do the correct math and see who "don't have a F'n clue what your talking about" and who is the real BULLSHITTER.

As far as costs go, I have spent a total of $858 for the PC, Custom Map, AreaP exhaust, and GiPro TRE -- and that includes shipping. How much have you spent on your Remus exhaust, extra airboxes, K&N Filters, and dyno time?

Gear ratios straight from the Gen II manual...

1st: 2.529

2nd: 1.773

3rd: 1.348

4th: 1.077

5th: 0.929

The 1.563 number you've highlighted for 1st, WW, is your primary reduction ratio...

Thanks Sock Monkey,

I screwed it up. Actually where I got the screw up was on this post:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=20944&hl=

On our forum.

007 (JSA on the concours.org forum),

Yes your were right about one thing. I screwed up on typing the gear ratios on the FJR... However.. Nothing changed regarding how the gears compare between the C14 and Gen II FJR. Take a look for yourself:

https://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/2...s/fjr1300a.html

As I had stated(even with my typo)... The FACTS are the C14 has the acceleration gearing advantage in every gear. Makes my performance gains against your beloved C14 even more IMPRESSIVE!! But I know you ain't impressed(just wrong no matter how you slice it).

WW

The FACTS are the C14 has the acceleration gearing advantage in every gear. Makes my performance gains against your beloved C14 even more IMPRESSIVE!! But I know you ain't impressed(just wrong no matter how you slice it).
I am not impressed because your FACTS are wrong and you don't have enough class to admit it. If you do the math with the correct ratios, your 07 FJR actually has slightly lower gearing in 1st gear (where you claim the C14 has a huge advantage) and they are dead even in 3rd gear. The C14 is lower geared in the the other gears but the differences are not that significant in 2nd or 5th. Futhermore, the overall gear ratios that I posted above for my 05 FJR and C14 are dead nuts accurate. I will not accuse you of lying about the gear ratios like you accused me because it is pretty obvious that you believe your own bullshit but what goes around comes around -- I just wish I could be there when it happens.

The FACTS are the C14 has the acceleration gearing advantage in every gear. Makes my performance gains against your beloved C14 even more IMPRESSIVE!! But I know you ain't impressed(just wrong no matter how you slice it).
I am not impressed because your FACTS are wrong and you don't have enough class to admit it. If you do the math with the correct ratios, your 07 FJR actually has slightly lower gearing in 1st gear (where you claim the C14 has a huge advantage) and they are dead even in 3rd gear. The C14 is lower geared in the the other gears but the differences are not that significant in 2nd or 5th. Futhermore, the overall gear ratios that I posted above for my 05 FJR and C14 are dead nuts accurate. I will not accuse you of lying about the gear ratios like you accused me because it is pretty obvious that you believe your own bullshit but what goes around comes around -- I just wish I could be there when it happens.
JSA, (mcrider007 here)

Sorry my confused poster, but I won't have anymore time for your posts after this.

Go back and post on your C14 forum. Your bad info is not welcome here. And, I do

accept the other C14forum members apologies for talking crap about me before they

got the FACTS. FUNNY, It seems they don't want your kind on their forum either.

https://concours.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_...amp;whichpage=2

You should take up a new hobby(other than bench racing). I have too much

real World race experience to be a benchracer.. SORRY............. I won't be stooping

down to your level anymore.

WW

Okay...here's real life results...I have a friend who has a 08 C14 with a VH slipon, secondary flies removed, PC, but he's a larger man than I am and probably has 40 pounds on me. I have the fastest FJR year (03), and only a PC with the smoothness map. He and I went at it from about a 60 MPH roll at my 3K RPM...he pulled me 10+ bike lengths before I could switch to the next gear...he was GONE :eek: So we went again...same results. Only way I could even come close to making it even was I had to start out at 6K RPM or above, but I still believe he had me covered. His bike was in a different time zone than mine...we went from almost a dead stop...he took off...I took off and he jumped me 5 lengths...I pulled my front wheel and had to back off...he was gone. Say what you will but the C14 with these mods is a beast. But I still look much more sexier on my FJR and he knows it. :yahoo:

But I still look much more sexier on my FJR and he knows it. :yahoo:
HeUer,

Thanks for sharing your report. This means 2 more things:

1- Cops will love you less (and your checkbook more)

2- Public Consensus... during stops and normal riding conditions.

I know we had the edge and feel richer for it.

Okay...here's real life results...I have a friend who has a 08 C14 with a VH slipon, secondary flies removed, PC, but he's a larger man than I am and probably has 40 pounds on me. I have the fastest FJR year (03), and only a PC with the smoothness map. He and I went at it from about a 60 MPH roll at my 3K RPM...he pulled me 10+ bike lengths before I could switch to the next gear...he was GONE :eek: So we went again...same results. Only way I could even come close to making it even was I had to start out at 6K RPM or above, but I still believe he had me covered. His bike was in a different time zone than mine...we went from almost a dead stop...he took off...I took off and he jumped me 5 lengths...I pulled my front wheel and had to back off...he was gone. Say what you will but the C14 with these mods is a beast. But I still look much more sexier on my FJR and he knows it. :yahoo:
WOW! I thought that thread I started on the C14 almost 3 years ago was long gone and forgotten...but I am not surprised at your real life results, a C14 with the flies removed is faster than a FJR in any gear at any speed...but the FJR engine has all the power any sane person needs on public roads and is almost a perfect blend of power, reliability, low maintenance, and excellent fuel economy. My 2008 C14 has been replaced with a 2010 model and the Area P exhaust, PC, and GIPRO TRE are sitting in a box in the garage. The 2010 isn't nearly as fast as the 2008 but I really don't care anymore, its still got all the power I need and a pleasure to ride.... but... I don't think it is as sexy as my 2008 FJR.

My 2008 C14 has been replaced with a 2010 model and the Area P exhaust, PC, and GIPRO TRE are sitting in a box in the garage.
OK, I'll bite... after all that money and work... why? Did the '08 start having problems? Is there *that* much of a difference between the '08 and '10?

My 2008 C14 has been replaced with a 2010 model and the Area P exhaust, PC, and GIPRO TRE are sitting in a box in the garage.
OK, I'll bite... after all that money and work... why? Did the '08 start having problems? Is there *that* much of a difference between the '08 and '10?
It really was not that much work, about 90 minutes to install the Area P exhaust, PC, and GIPRO and the cost was under $800, and no, the 08 did not start having problems although I did have the drive shaft replaced under warranty due to a bad u-joint. Yes, there is quite a difference between the 08 and 10 in terms of heat management and other refinements, enough that I think of it as a GENII. I didn't transfer the performance enhancements to the 10 because I found that both models had a very plush ride when there is a 275-300 pound load (the C14 has heavy springs front and rear but does not have compression damping adjustments), which means that if I want a plush ride then I either have to gain a lot of weight or ride with the OEM exhaust and saddlebags, and top case. I had to decide between having a hot-rod or a plush riding sport-touring bike and I choose the latter...and my decison was heavily influenced by the ZX-14 I bought in June 09.

Latest posts