Calculating total milage to a tank of gas?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6.6 gallons???!!!??!! I though it was 6.5!!!!! ...
Defined as 25 litres, equates to 5.499231 UK gallons or 6.604301 US gallons
rolleyes.gif
Which works out to exactly 25 liters on the north side of the fence!
tongue.gif
Yamaha makes the math really easy for us up here!
wink.gif
So how many decimeters do you get per 25 liter tankful?...and how many milimeters can you travel on reserve?

rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
So how many decimeters do you get per 25 liter tankful?...and how many milimeters can you travel on reserve?
Well, 5L/100km = 500km/tank = 500,000m/tank = 5 million dL/tank! and reserve is 5L = 100km = 100,000,000 mm!

Told ya! Easy math up here!
wink.gif

rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
Well, 5L/100km = 500km/tank = 500,000m/tank = 5 million dL/tank! and reserve is 5L = 100km = 100,000,000 mm!

Told ya! Easy math up here!
wink.gif
Fuck...Now I'M confused!

I just wanted to know how to total the milage for a tank of gas. I know this may seem fairly straight forward, but I just wanted to know if I should take the milage from before the reserve trip meter and reserve trip meter distance together to get the total milage?

Regards,

W. D. :huh:
W.D.

I think what you may be asking, and have not gotten an answer for because the question might not be understood correctly, is how the trip meter works. When your "reserve" trip meter kicks in, the normal trip meter does not stop clocking the miles. So, to find out the total mileage you went on that tank, just switch back to which ever trip meter you reset at your last fill up. Do not add the two figures together.

6.6 gallons???!!!??!! I though it was 6.5!!!!! I've been short-filling all these years 'cause I didn't know I had another tenth of a gallon? I coulda gone 3 or four miles further to get to that cheaper station??!!!!??!!!

Damn, I hate this place!!! All this misinformation!!!! :angry:

:p :p :p

Best way to find the range is to carry a gas can and run it dry. Nobody has accepted the challenge, yet, AFAIK.

When the reserve starts blinking, start looking for gas. When the reserve is blinking 40-some miles, start getting ready to walk. How's that? :D

Or you could do like I did (unintentionally) in Kentucky and run the bike totally dry while attempting to locate an open gas station. Several times.

When the bike stutters and coughs, don't give up! Just shake the whole bike back and forth a few times and get the last bit of fuel splashing around in there to reach the fuel pump pick-up and it'll buy you a little more distance down the road. On my 1st gen I proved that you can do this at least 5 times. Probably not the best thing to do to your fuel pump on a regular basis (since it is liquid cooled) but it does beat pushing.

When I finally reached an open gas station (with no pushing!) I could only pump in 6.5 gallons on the side stand. I might have been able to get another .1 gallon in if I wanted to burp the tank.

FWIW my range that day was only 230 miles, and ~45 miles of it was into reserve. But I was chasing 08FJR4ME around some pretty nice back roads, 2-up. I figured I was only getting ~36 mpg that day. ;)

I just wanted to know how to total the milage for a tank of gas. I know this may seem fairly straight forward, but I just wanted to know if I should take the milage from before the reserve trip meter and reserve trip meter distance together to get the total milage?

Regards,

W. D. :huh:
There's an app for that!
There's a FREE app for that. It's called Gas Cubby and it's so easy that I've used it with joy for about 14 months.

It works like this:

Pull into a fuel station.

Fill your tank.

Enter the price per gal., the number of gallons and your odo reading.

(You can enter other data, such as location, octane, etc. but it's not necessary unless you want to keep track of that stuff. I do. It takes less than a minute.

The app does everything else for you -- and keeps great records,

It'll tell you (for every tank of gas you get) your MPG, distance traveled and sort it all by date and time.

It's fun for looking back at rides and remembering the details: On January 10 I did a SS1k, and I can look at my Gas Cubby and see that after stopping or fuel in Lordsburg, NM at 1415, when I filled up in Las Cruces a couple hours later I'd ridden 124 miles, gotten 35.2mpg, and paid $2.79/gal. I can almost see the sun setting in the distance and feel the temperature dropping below 40 degrees.

Since I have a 14 month record of my MPG, including highest and lowest, I can safely calculate how far a tank is likely to carry me -- and stop for fuel long before the puckering starts.

You doofuses are missing the OP's point..

He is asking 'do I use the mpg avg leading up to the reserve point, or do I reset and use the mpg avg for the remaining fuel?'

Actually, a great question - and yes, reset the avg mpg and let the computer calc your current riding conditions of throttle, air density, etc..

Jeesh.

:fuck:

Jugs n Kisses..

err.. Hugs n' Kisses! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Us Gen I guys don't have the "luxury" of having a MPG readout. I'm as techy as the next guy, but don't need no stinking app for figuring out mileage. :p Hell, I figure out my mileage in my head while riding (not much else going on up there anyway). :rolleyes: