CalSci Tinted Shorty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered the CalSci Large +4.5 this past week for the long trips. I had been using the Laminar Lip with the stocker, and that did make a difference. But it wasn't near as quiet as I was told it would be. But still better than nothing. Last October when I went down to Hooterville, I had removed so I could buff out my stock screen for the trip, and ended up forgetting to put it back on. I could tell the difference. Well I figure it's time to make that next step towards Quiet Ride Nirvana.

Maybe I'll do the chop-n-tint job on my stock screen if this CalSci works well.

Mike

Got mine yesterday and installed it right away. Had tried a VStream and wasn't impressed.

First impressions:

Fit and finish gets a 'B.' This isn't as well finished around the edges as the stock shield or a VStream. Also, it takes a little bending to get it into place to line up the screw holes. I've heard that this is the case for most CalSci shields, and it didn't bug me. Once it's on the bike, it doesn't matter.

This is a GOOD LOOKING shield. It provides great symmetry, top and bottom, to the bike when viewed from the front. It also improves the looks from the side. I prefer the straight look as opposed to the curvature of the stock screen. The overall shape of the shield brings to mind the overhead profile of the wings of an F-22 Raptor, and that's a good thing. And that tint is just sweet.

I took it for a ride around the block and it seemed like the air was pretty smooth, but I won't be able to do a more objective performance evaluation until the winds die down.

So far, though, :thumbsup:

Here is what the Cee Bailey -3 looks like for comparison

IMAG0373.jpg

man, i really like that...

looking at the website, i guess that's the 15 inch? original width?

and is that tinted or clear? considering the dark gray tint...

i'm considering this very thing vs cutting a stocker way down and maybe venting like the calsci

i'm interested in your impressions of it at speeds of 80+

i'm 5'10" i'd like clean air mid/high chest for summer

Would someone be will to measure this distance: from the middle of the "v" on top of the mounting bracket to the top? I know they say it is the same height as the stocker but I'm curious.......

calscishorty.jpg

Would someone be will to measure this distance: from the middle of the "v" on top of the mounting bracket to the top? I know they say it is the same height as the stocker but I'm curious.......

calscishorty.jpg
Exactly 16 inches.

Trying to think of a funny joke about having a 16" penis but I ran six miles today and my brain is tired and I'm tired and I'm going to bed.

If something funny comes to me I'll post tomorrow... or maybe Friday.

But in all seriousness, the dimension you requested is 16".

'night.

calscishorty.jpg
Exactly 16 inches.

Trying to think of a funny joke about having a 16" penis but I ran six miles today and my brain is tired and I'm tired and I'm going to bed.

If something funny comes to me I'll post tomorrow... or maybe Friday.

But in all seriousness, the dimension you requested is 16".

'night.
Thanks!

Finally got a chance to take the girl out and see how the new shield works. I got it mearly for cosmetics but am very pleased with how it also performs. I can't beleive what a difference it makes for being the same height. At full UP, it allows me to open my face shield without my eye's watering and I have super sensitive eyes. In the lowest position, the air flow is clean and hits me right in the upper chest. This will be nice come summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got a chance to take the girl out and see how the new shield works. I got it mearly for cosmetics but am very pleased with how it also performs. I can't beleive what a difference it makes for being the same height. At full UP, it allows me to open my face shield without my eye's watering and I have super sensitive eyes. In the lowest position, the air flow is clean and hits me right in the upper chest. This will be nice come summer.
My experiences mostly jive with yours.

I finally got out with mine for a couple hours this weekend, as well. At full down to about 2/3 up, the air is the smoothest I've yet experienced on the Feej, hits from the chest up, and absolutely NO buffeting or turbulence... just clean, smooth air.

However, between 2/3 and full up, turbulence develops. I've become convinced that this is an issue with the angle of the shield when at full up, which is steeper than at full down. Consequently, I've ordered a Rifle +3 and am going to try that next, as I think the angle optimizers may be the answer. We'll see. I'm probably going to have to settle on either the Rifle or the Tinted Shorty, though, because I think my wife is starting to wonder if I'm sick in the head, ordering all these different windshields.

Of course, I've probably given her plenty of reasons to think that already, windshield purchases aside. :jester:

I finally got out with mine for a couple hours this weekend, as well. At full down to about 2/3 up, the air is the smoothest I've yet experienced on the Feej, hits from the chest up, and absolutely NO buffeting or turbulence... just clean, smooth air.

However, between 2/3 and full up, turbulence develops. I've become convinced that this is an issue with the angle of the shield when at full up, which is steeper than at full down. Consequently, I've ordered a Rifle +3 and am going to try that next, as I think the angle optimizers may be the answer. We'll see. I'm probably going to have to settle on either the Rifle or the Tinted Shorty, though, because I think my wife is starting to wonder if I'm sick in the head, ordering all these different windshields.

Of course, I've probably given her plenty of reasons to think that already, windshield purchases aside. :jester:
I'm guessing the Cee Bailey with the reverse contour would resolve your buffeting. I do not have the screen, or have I used the Cee Bailey, but by design I think the contour lip would get the air up over your helmet.

When it works out for you... You can sell me the short CalSci dirt cheap.
tongue.gif

I'm guessing the Cee Bailey with the reverse contour would resolve your buffeting. I do not have the screen, or have I used the Cee Bailey, but by design I think the contour lip would get the air up over your helmet.

tongue.gif
I appreciate your offer to get yourself a great deal by buying my shield for next-to-nothing, leaving me penniless and heartbroken. :lol2: I'll let you know.

tongue.gif
I happen to own that windshield as well as the tinted shorty. They have a variety but I have their +2" model. It is also an excellent screen. Flow in the down to 1/3 position is VERY nice and it is a bit smoother in the upper positions than the tinted shorty. However at 6'2 I am still too tall for these windshields to work well in the up position - buffeting and muffled wind turbulence noise at helmet level - not terrible but I don't enjoy it.

If you are my height none of the windshields work well in the up position unless you get one of the huge barndoor options (think bigger than the VStream), at which point they work kinda lousy in the down position. I have happily accepted the fact that I only use the windshield in the > 2/3rds position if it is raining.

Here's pix of the Cee Bailey +2 with flip, not as attractive as the tinted shorty but it is not bad either.

DSCN6932.jpg

DSCN6929.jpg

DSCN6922.jpg

I ordered a Tinted Shorty through Premier Motorcycle Accessories and it was supposed to be delivered to Bust's for Tech Day. Unfortunately Cal-Sci did not ship the windscreen. Premier did send the e-mail and have it flagged as read so I guess the surf was up that day.
angry.gif

The screen is now being shipped to Buffalo to where my sister-in-law works and when it shows up I'll shuffle over to Buffalo and pick it up. All I can say is the hassle better be worth it.

I ordered a Tinted Shorty through Premier Motorcycle Accessories and it was supposed to be delivered to Bust's for Tech Day. Unfortunately Cal-Sci did not ship the windscreen. Premier did send the e-mail and have it flagged as read so I guess the surf was up that day.
angry.gif

The screen is now being shipped to Buffalo to where my sister-in-law works and when it shows up I'll shuffle over to Buffalo and pick it up. All I can say is the hassle better be worth it.
Why didn't you order directly from Cal-Sci? I have purchased two windshields from them, concours14 and now my FJR and both times they shipped same day.

tongue.gif
I happen to own that windshield as well as the tinted shorty. They have a variety but I have their +2" model. It is also an excellent screen. Flow in the down to 1/3 position is VERY nice and it is a bit smoother in the upper positions than the tinted shorty. However at 6'2 I am still too tall for these windshields to work well in the up position - buffeting and muffled wind turbulence noise at helmet level - not terrible but I don't enjoy it.

If you are my height none of the windshields work well in the up position unless you get one of the huge barndoor options (think bigger than the VStream), at which point they work kinda lousy in the down position. I have happily accepted the fact that I only use the windshield in the > 2/3rds position if it is raining.

Here's pix of the Cee Bailey +2 with flip, not as attractive as the tinted shorty but it is not bad either.

DSCN6932.jpg

DSCN6929.jpg

DSCN6922.jpg
I dunno... I actually think the Cee Bailey +2 w/flip looks really nice in those pictures. But it could just be your bike, too.

I'm really hoping and anticipating that the Rifle +3 will work for me. In the down position, the tinted shorty is fantastic. The Rifle will add a little height at full-down, though not a full 3" due to the increased lean angle provided by the angle optimizers. I almost ordered a +1 because I was concerned that the +3 would block too much wind in full-down to be good in summer. However, I decided I could give up a little air flow at full down and still be comfy in the heat. If the extra height gets the wind up over my helmet at full-up, it will be perfect. I actually wouldn't mind wind hitting my helmet at full-up, just as long as it isn't turbulent. And that's where I think the Rifle with its angle optimizers will make the difference over the other aftermarket options.

We shall see.

Is this turning into a NEPRT? :worriedsmiley:

Why didn't you order directly from Cal-Sci? I have purchased two windshields from them, concours14 and now my FJR and both times they shipped same day.
I was ordering some other items and needed to place the order through Premier to receive free shipping on the entire order.