Canadian Dollars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSFJR

Reaction score
I have not seen this discussed but for us Southeners, should we convert US $'s to Cn $'s before we get there or just use a combination of US $'s and credit cards?

This part is more difficult. If we should convert, would $300 - $400 be enough to cover most circumstances for our stay there or just use credit cards when possible and not worry about the amount?

Thanks and see you all soon.

Chester

Right now one US buck will get you $1.10 Canadian..couple ofweeks ago one US buck would get you $1.22 Canadian. Google "exchange rate " and you will get the rate for that day.. The Canooks will always slide US cash under the cash drawer.. And don't forget the new ID rules to cross the border-especially to get back in the US!

My plan is always to use CC for rooms, fuel and food when it's easy. I'll get cash at an ATM soon after I cross the border, usually about $100 then another C-note when ever I need it. Your CC and bank card will get you the best exchange rate with few % for their trouble. I don't like to carry too much cash, don't want to loose it or get it swiped.

As with earlier replies, my experience leads me to card it whenever I can. It's easy and exchange rates are usually pretty good although some card companies now charge a "conversion fee" with each transaction. Check with your card company(s) before heading out. I use ATMs for cash although if gas, meals and hotels are carded there is no need much cash. The longstanding Canadian "courtesy" of taking Yankee dollars at par won't cost all that much under current conditions so for small stuff it will be no big deal. Who knows, by the time we get up there they may be demanding a premium.

Be careful with ATMs - if you use a private ATM you will get hit for up to $3 per tranaction on top of your bank's charges. Check you bank's rules for branded ATMs in foreign countries. You might be surprised.

The exchange rate charged by banks is typically 3% above nominal. Credit cards are not as generous as banks, so if you *can* pay cash in native dollars then do so as merchants will rip you off for the exchange.

You best bet is to carry US cash and when you hit the big city, to convert whatever you think you might need at a private money changer - in BC there are hundreds of them to service the local Asian population - they exist and compete with banks, so they charge less than the local banks for their services. (if you convert too little, you could get hit with a fee).

Last edited by a moderator:
Credit cards are accepted everywhere - that's not an issue.

You should find financial services in Kelowna . . . and if you're coming up from Seattle, you might go through Vancouver . . from points further East there's Lethbridge . . . nice riding through the mountains. I wish I could go.

Note that if you must change money at a bank, I would do it at a bank in Canada.

Wells Fargo will exchange it in the US for no service charge, or did a couple of years ago. A Brit friend of mine over here to ride NorCal needed to change pounds sterling for USD. He gave me the cash and I did the deed, but not without a bunch of forms, ID verification and a thumbprint...something about Homeland Security Rules...

No service charge, but there is a bias on the exchange rates . . . typically 3%.

Check www.xe.com and then call and ask them what they charge before heading over.

There should be no issues relating to identification if the amount you change is less than $10,000 or is not in cash.

Remember that you do have to declare any amount in excess of $10,000 (in value at the the destination country's currency) when you cross the border, though there is no prohibition to carrying so much money . . . . yeah, I know that no one is doing this, but I figured I might as well mention it while we\re on the topic.

Par may not be far off by the 18th!

Currently (currency-ly?) 1.00 $CDN = 0.9166 $USD . . . and still falling, or rising, depending on which side of the border one is on.

I use credit cards as much as I can. I am leaving for Alaska again in a few days and just picked up $200 Canadian at my bank for starters.

I would use you CC asa much as you can, Master Card gives a $100.00 US to $114.00 CAN but charges a 1% for exchange if you exchange for cash the bank will only give you $110 CAN for $100 US I just got back from Whistler last week and this is what my bank told me. check with your oun bank ad see what there rate is.

See ya up there.

Marcus

Question: I presume that since we will be out in the hinterlands, that many food establishments may not take CC, so Canadian cash would be required. Am I right on that?

How 'bout petrol? Do these places take CC typically or is currency required?

Also, what would a typical lunch cost? $20 Canadian? $15 Canadian? Less? I kinda need this to figure how much to take out of the ATM.

Question: I presume that since we will be out in the hinterlands, that many food establishments may not take CC, so Canadian cash would be required. Am I right on that?
Also, what would a typical lunch cost? $20 Canadian? $15 Canadian? Less? I kinda need this to figure how much to take out of the ATM.

In BC, almost every business runs with electronic payment functions, which combines CC and debit card functions together, even outside of urban locales. There is a CIBC in Nakusp which will have full ATM service. (CIBC is a major CDN bank)

Lunch? You can spend anywhere from $5 - $20, but I am guessing the pub in Nakusp would run you about $15 for a beer and a burger.

Fuel will be payable by CC or other electronic means. You shouldn't need wads of cash in your pocket, IMHO

In BC, almost every business runs with electronic payment functions, which combines CC and debit card functions together, even outside of urban locales. There is a CIBC in Nakusp which will have full ATM service. (CIBC is a major CDN bank)

Lunch? You can spend anywhere from $5 - $20, but I am guessing the pub in Nakusp would run you about $15 for a beer and a burger.

Fuel will be payable by CC or other electronic means. You shouldn't need wads of cash in your pocket, IMHO
THANKS barb! :clapping:

A young seal goes into a bar, the bartender says, "What'll you have?" the seal says" Anything BUT Canadian Club!"