CFR 2018 - WooHoo! Registration is going LIVE November 1st!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shit hitting fan for me, so I'm withdrawing from the rally and will be giving up my king bed reservation in the Lodge at Arrow Lakes in the next 2 or 3 days.
upset.gif

No doubt this will be an epic reprise of the 2009 event. Regrets for me, but I'm out and maybe just plain done touring. (Or maybe more accurately: I've been done a few years now and am finally just acknowledging it.) Hope you all have a great time.
Noooooo ! Please ......just finish your chores (few more days), take a few days to chillax and regroup, and rethink this shitty decision. If you have to be done touring, make it AFTER Nakusp. Please.

I'm going to the left coast to see a number of you dorks old friends ..... you being one of the main ones. PLEASE reconsider ......
kiss.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
WTH???? I mean I get it if the fit hit the shan, and somehow this particular tour is not gonna happen. But how does that translate into "I'm done touring" forever?

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, my friend. Take a break. It's not the end of the world, whatever it is.....

Whenever I approach the border it's prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Always prepared for a cavity search when entering Canada. Funny thing though. The last three times crossing, I've used my Passport Card instead of the Passport. Normal questions, not hassled, and on my way in a couple minutes...coincidence, dunno, but I'm using the card until it fails me.
Looking forward to June!

--G
I remember being able cross all the time with out a passport in the day. an have only had one hassle going up to BC and that was in the mid 70's.

There was a hotel in Vancouver called the Fraser Arms, it had four different bars and a good place to have a little night life after playing around in Vancouver during the day that I would go to once or twice a year. That one time I was in my old Triumph TR3 and they had me pull over and they took what little I was packing out and on the ground, also the top & top bows and seat bottoms. Disappointed at not finding anything they had me go inside and asked me a bunch of questions and even wanted to see how much cash I had!

As I was looking at all my stuff on the ground I got some major stink eye when I ask the easiest way back to the American boarder crossing as I lost my desire to spend anytime in BC.

My wife was born up in BC in Powell River and had family there, we crossed often and never had issues. Never had any real issues coming home, one time I was asked for the key for the trunk of the FJR and the guy asked me what was in the bag and I told him my bi-pap machine. He gave me my key and a way I went.

Shit hitting fan for me, so I'm withdrawing from the rally and will be giving up my king bed reservation in the Lodge at Arrow Lakes in the next 2 or 3 days.
upset.gif

No doubt this will be an epic reprise of the 2009 event. Regrets for me, but I'm out and maybe just plain done touring. (Or maybe more accurately: I've been done a few years now and am finally just acknowledging it.) Hope you all have a great time.
There are other ways to travel and enjoy the world, ya know... don't care how you get there, just get there! ;)

upset.gif

There are other ways to travel and enjoy the world, ya know... don't care how you get there, just get there!
wink.png
What she said!

For those who have experience with the weather up there at rally time, what can we expect? Trying to decide between Aerostich or mesh plus rain gear.

For those who have experience with the weather up there at rally time, what can we expect? Trying to decide between Aerostich or mesh plus rain gear.

Google is your friend (most of the time)

I was looking for historical data but this popped up in 1st place so I went with it : https://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/nakusp/v0g/june-weather/52854

I suppose I could have converted it to your language but then you'd feel obliged to buy me a beer or sumthin

Weather? Hopefully not days of pouring rain like Castlegar in June a few years back. Although the day we all just sat in the "black rooster" (we had another name) drinking beer starting about noon was a fond, if unclear memory
smile.png
Also remember water flowing up out of a drain in a parking lot and making a small lake in a short time. I predict this time we'll get lucky and it will be mildly warm and sunny!

blrooster.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the max temperatures they're seeing--hoping (as always) that they know WTH they're talking about. Even after so many disappointments, I keep hoping . . .

But here's my big concern about getting across the border this time. I keep reading, here and all over the internet, a lot of conflicting guidelines about what you can carry across the border. Like:

Alcohol. What is the limit, if any? I've heard you can bring just one sealed bottle, but is that right? Some have carried more, or carried open bottles. maybe even former shampoo bottles.
sick.gif
Well-rinsed, I hope?

A knife. Fixed-blade only? No knife at all? Max length, if applicable? I'll be camping on this trip and a normal-sized sheath knife is pretty handy. I'd hate to have to turn mine in at the border.

Bear spray. WAY too many votes on both sides of this from many sources. Some say ok to bring in if it's really manufactured for that purpose and not for use on humans, but others say it's all prohibited--even though you can buy it easily on both sides of the border. (And I'll be using it on both sides of the border, so I'm not interested in waiting till I'm in Canada to buy it.) (And maybe "using" is the wrong word. I'll be carrying it.) :lol:

So I'd like to hear some thoughts on all this. A link to a website will just give one interpretation on any of these, and since I've seen websites offering both answers to each of the above, I'd rather hear from people who've crossed recently and succeeded--or failed--to bring any of this stuff north (and yeah, I'm more concerned about getting it north from here than I am about the return leg. Thanks.

Omg..... do y'all HAVE Google in California? ;)

Check out the Canada Border Services website.

I agree .... as a govt website, it's frustrating to read and easily get answers. But make a list of Burning Questions, actually call and talk to someone, and post up the Coles Notes version here.

Alternatively..... PM me your list. I have a couple of CBS agent friends who may give me the info <dhrug>

Here's an example of info there.

"For additional information regarding prohibited weapons and devices, please consult Memorandum D19-13-2, Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices, Customs Tariff, Criminal Code, Firearms Act, and Export and Import Permits Act.

What follows is a list of common names for weapons that are prohibited from entering Canada:

(note the list is not exhaustive) automatic knives such as switchblades;centrifugal knives such as flick knives or butterfly knives;gravity knives;mace or pepper spray designed for use on humans;nunchaku sticks;shuriken (throwing stars);manrikigusari or kusari (fighting chains);finger rings with blades or other sharp objects projecting from the surface;Taser and stun guns shorter than 480 mm;crossbows designed for one-handed use;crossbows 500 mm or shorter;Constant Companion (belt-buckle knife);push daggers;devices shorter than 30 cm concealing a knife blade (e.g. knife-comb);spiked wristbands;blowguns;Kiyoga or Steel Cobra batons (spring batons);spring-loaded rigid batons (triggered by a button or lever);morning stars; andbrass knuckles.

In the past I've done mesh and rain gear and will this year. In the trailer will be more layers if needed.

I've answered the "do you have any alcohol" question with "a flask of whisky" most times I've crossed and never been an issue, so sealed bottle hasn't been required in my experience. I usually bring beer whatever I can reasonable fit too as it's 1/2 the price in the US vs Canada. I tried that Google thing Mem mentioned, cool website, is it new???

"U.S. citizens crossing the border into Canada to visit are allowed to bring the following item quantities into Canada duty free: 1.5 liters of wine, or 1.14 liters (40 ounces) of liquor, or 24 cans or bottles of beer. 1 carton (200 cigarettes), up to 50 cigars, and 200g of loose tobacco."

I've answered the "do you have any alcohol" question with "a flask of whisky" most times I've crossed and never been an issue, so sealed bottle hasn't been required in my experience. I usually bring beer whatever I can reasonable fit too as it's 1/2 the price in the US vs Canada. I tried that Google thing Mem mentioned, cool website, is it new???
"U.S. citizens crossing the border into Canada to visit are allowed to bring the following item quantities into Canada duty free: 1.5 liters of wine, or 1.14 liters (40 ounces) of liquor, or 24 cans or bottles of beer. 1 carton (200 cigarettes), up to 50 cigars, and 200g of loose tobacco."
I am sure we can drag a can or two of Wildcat across the border to satisfy the thirst of a Honey Badger, ... Looking forward to it!

FWFE

Weather? Hopefully not days of pouring rain like Castlegar in June a few years back. Although the day we all just sat in the "black rooster" (we had another name) drinking beer starting about noon was a fond, if unclear memory
smile.png
Also remember water flowing up out of a drain in a parking lot and making a small lake in a short time. I predict this time we'll get lucky and it will be mildly warm and sunny!
blrooster.jpg
I remember you and Greb going out on the Saturday ride and coming back soaked to the bone! We did get a great ride on Friday, lunch on the lake crazy Cannucks and their high speed adventures!

Does a pocket knife that has a 3 blade or a folding and locking knife that is used for cooking at a campground quality as centrifugal knives such as flick knives or butterfly knives;gravity knives?

For petes sake this aint the Kings palace, stress less ride more and don't be stupid! Only one you have to worry about is MEM.

Latest posts