Changing lockset on fuel tank?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello Kitty

Reaction score
So, I am loaning my aux fuel tank to a '13 IBR rider. Rather than him having to drill his tank and plumb for the cell, we're just going to swap main tanks as well. Different color bikes, but who cares, right?

I hadn't thought about this until he mentioned that he was getting an extra key made to give me so I could actually put some fuel in the bike... Hmmm... yes, this does present a small issue... Not a HUGE deal if this is what we need to do, but if we can change them easy enough, a better solution I think.

What's the easiest solution? Change the whole fuel cap out? Deal with separate keys?

Input appreciated!

Thanks!

Kitty

Locksmith is not a good solution IMO. This is a temporary swap in case I wasn't clear on that point. So there would be 4 visits, and subsequent bills, from a locksmith. No thanks!

Separate keys may be the way to go, I'm thinking more about Steve, than me. He's going to have to keep track of that key, or have to deal with only fueling up via the cell. That would SUCK during the IBR.

PS, Hi Turbo! I miss Turbo hugs! How you doing?

How hard is it to just swap out that whole assembly? Just undo those 5 bolts and move the whole thing to the other bike?

Just switch the whole cap, should only take a few minutes.
You mean just the cap? Or the whole assembly? It looks like the whole assembly would come out with those 5 bolts, and then just tighten on the other tank. But I'm just a girl, what the hell do I know about bolts and stuff?

I just don't want to start something and then find out I should have just left it alone.

Be careful with those screw Kitty only 3 of them are "active" the others are cast in decorative pieces. IIRC the 12o'clock and the lowers are the one's you want

I don't think they are any different on Gen II.

I have to learn to wake up before I post had the wrong screw location.....

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm.... Busta... Not sure whatchu mean exactly? I went ahead and loosened all 5 and they seem like 'normal' screws to me. However, they do nothing at all to loosen the assembly. There's one more screw under the cap when you use the key to open it, but if this were so easy, seems to me, the thing would show signs of loosening already...

Other thoughts?

Sure seems like removing the whole assembly would take care of this issue, but I've never had mine apart so I can't speak from experience. If it were me, I'd try it.

Oh crap.. I was thinking wrong bike. Yes all 5 have to come out on the FJR. I just repainted a Gixxer a few weeks back, a couple of those were cast in..

Sorry..
blush.png

See what I mean about waking up?

Oh crap.. I was thinking wrong bike. Yes all 5 have to come out on the FJR. I just repainted a Gixxer a few weeks back, a couple of those were cast in..Sorry..
blush.png

See what I mean about waking up?
Meh, it's cool. Now you know what it's like to be a girl. 'Cept it's all day every day
smile.png

Yeah, Phil, I kinda tried it... I think there's some method here that I don't know. I'll get some more wrenches. And a hammer. See what kind of trouble I can get into in the garage. Good thing my dog and cats are all boys, they'll be able to help if I break a nail or something
flirt.gif

RenoJohn detailed how to make the cap keyless. Search and you'll find it. That's the true cba method!

Get a blank key and have one side cut with one key profile and the other side cut with the second key profile. Rotate the ONE key 180º to select the key profile needed.

RenoJohn detailed how to make the cap keyless. Search and you'll find it. That's the true cba method!
Ah, must search for this. On the Battle Born Bike? I borrowed her a few years ago and had a lovely ride a couple hours north. RJ left her well equiped for me as I recall
smile.png
I kinda think you needed a key for the gas when I had her, though maybe it was only for the cases now that I'm thinking about it more.

I had keyless gas on the GS and I loved it.