Clutch Gone 13,400 miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fubar,I have been in your shoes. Call Yamaha Dealership or Yamaha Customer Service and ask who the Regional Technical Service Rep is for your area. Then I would call and make an appointment to meet with him/her to discuss your situation in person where your bike is.

I have done this with positive results. Be deligent but not obnoxious and sure you will fare well.
Thanks, I'll do that.

I sympathize with you 'Fubar', I've been on the receiving end of "NO" from a M/C distributor and know how it feels (but, actually, I have had it both ways....; in the "yes" cases -- the dealer was instrumental).

What I do want to say is: this issue may be a (another) positive for choosing an 'AE'? How could MamaYama not warranty an 'AE' clutch failure (if it happened and it was 'in warranty')?

After all, it (the clutch) is completely controlled by their computer..... :eek: :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it is worth, I had a problem with the clutch on my 07AE. The dealer told me the fibers were completely worn off (3700 miles). Yamaha did replace the clutch completely under warranty. That was back in February.

Sorry to hear of your predicament, I do, however point out that if there are consequential problems as the result of the clutch failure, they would be due to a design defect . . .

Since clutch failure is something that happens from time to time, and if there was indeed a problem resulting from oil flow restriction in the filter system then Yamaha should suffer the costs because unlike virtually every internal combustion engine in every vehicle larger than a minibike, Yamaha elected to omit an oil pressure switch from their design. Had your oil light come on you'd have switched off the engine and not had the potential of damage due to continued operation of the machine in the presence of a starvation problem - and probably would have determined the clutch failure before it all wore away . . . I have to say that (for example) if my oil pump failed and my engine seized as a result I would probably be suing Yamaha even if the bike was 10 years out of warranty. And I'd probably win.

If they suggest a teardown as a result of this omission then that is THEIR fault - because if they'd had a proper warning light and the machine was oil starved for reasons unrelated to oil level then you'd have been able to avoid the potential problem.

I think that in the event that you are stuck paying for the repair of the clutch itself, then you should perhaps stand the cost of the new friction plates and an hour or two of shop time because that is all it takes - note that a full set of friction plates plus the cover gasket costs all of $116 from Ron Ayer . . so what? A couple of hundred dollars all in? However in my opinion, there are enough reports of dry clutches causing problems on '07s that Yamaha ought to be paying the shot.

In any case I suggest that anything beyond the repair of the clutch itself should be paid by Yamaha.

Fubar,I have been in your shoes. Call Yamaha Dealership or Yamaha Customer Service and ask who the Regional Technical Service Rep is for your area. Then I would call and make an appointment to meet with him/her to discuss your situation in person where your bike is.

I have done this with positive results. Be deligent but not obnoxious and sure you will fare well.
Thanks, I'll do that.
+1 If you read through the threads of past issues people have had with their bikes persistence and diligence has been the key to success with Yamaha. It might not be fun or pleasant, but it is the way to go.

I was given the cold shoulder last year by Yamaha Canada when I was experiencing the ignition switch failure.

I was told that I was on my own as I was out of warranty. Of course they denigned that they had ever heard of an switch problem. Then 8 months later came the recall.

Keep trying. Hopefully they will come across and do the right thing.

I was given the cold shoulder last year by Yamaha Canada when I was experiencing the ignition switch failure. I was told that I was on my own as I was out of warranty. Of course they denigned that they had ever heard of an switch problem. Then 8 months later came the recall.

Did they reimburse you for your expenses?

I was given the cold shoulder last year by Yamaha Canada when I was experiencing the ignition switch failure. I was told that I was on my own as I was out of warranty. Of course they denigned that they had ever heard of an switch problem. Then 8 months later came the recall.

Did they reimburse you for your expenses?
I was in the process of fixing it myself over the winter when the recall came. I was doing the switch resolder and Brodie harness. It had finally failed on the last ride of the season. Therefore no money from Yamaha but my dealer (who is a long time personal friend) said they wouldn't have reimbersed me. They are only responsible for the recall.

13,400 miles on a big street bike ain't crap. I've ridden dirt bikes for years, abusing the phuck outta the clutches, with nearly equivalent hours to 13,400 street hours with no problems. IMHO, ASSuming what the original poster says is true (old, rides bike easy).. (and I have no reason to doubt him)... then something is terribly awry. I would be pissed beyond belief.

EDIT - I wonder if mammaYamma, in the economic downturn along with the rest of us, is tightening the reins on servicing issues. Think about, this platform has had its share of expensive warranty issues..

Gen 1 - tick Tick TICK

Gen 2 - ECU, 17 mpg instantaneous displays, Ignition switches, and now possibly complete wiring harnesses.

$$$$$$ spent, profits reduced.. just wonderin'

I'm sorry but I wouldn't let anyone but me do a "complete teardown" on my Feej. :eek: Even if I were totally incapable,(which I aint), ;) Who's to say there tech is any more capable, :unsure: and at least I'd "give a shit" with what I was doing! :D I've seen way way way too many threads on here about dealers doing Hack Jobs :dribble: on even the simplist of jobs. :angry: I bought the YES warrantee when I originally bought My '07, but at this point I have doubts I will ever use it. (knock on wood) B)

on a side note, I wish I could speak to people in my daily life through the use of little emoticons:

Them "Hi Chris, How are you today?"

Me :finger:

13,400 miles on a big street bike ain't crap. I've ridden dirt bikes for years, abusing the phuck outta the clutches, with nearly equivalent hours to 13,400 street hours with no problems. IMHO, ASSuming what the original poster says is true (old, rides bike easy).. (and I have no reason to doubt him)... then something is terribly awry. I would be pissed beyond belief.
EDIT - I wonder if mammaYamma, in the economic downturn along with the rest of us, is tightening the reins on servicing issues. Think about, this platform has had its share of expensive warranty issues..

Gen 1 - tick Tick TICK

Gen 2 - ECU, 17 mpg instantaneous displays, Ignition switches, and now possibly complete wiring harnesses.

$$$$$$ spent, profits reduced.. just wonderin'
Tightening world-wide. Read some of the recent steps Yamaha has taken to maintain profitability here. Look at their economic data sheets if you're interested. I'm sure every National business unit has been given a tighter budget, and explained the true meaning of the word "no warranty coverage for this".

Now, it is a kind of a chain thing, in that we bought the bike with a warranty, and the Dealer has to at least try to maintain some degree of customer satisfaction via proper service - both with the customer and their Yamaha Distributor. Clutches are a wear item, who really knows how the thread starter treated his, but I still support Yamaha standing behind their product in cases of unusual wear.

The best thing for all to do I feel is ensure the clutch pack is properly oiled from the get-go. Yamaha did not oil the one on my '08 at build as far as I can tell.

I've asked several times, but have yet to read a response from anyone about whether or not their clutch was naturally oiled after some use via sling or spray lube on GenII models. Anybody have theirs apart only to find the discs were already properly soaked in oil????

Gary in Fairbanks

Dang,you guys got me wondering now.....

This is the first I had heard of clutch issues. My 07 is still working just fine (9300 miles) but maybe I should tear into the clutch just to see?

It would be cheaper than a complete rebuild!

This is the first I had heard of clutch issues. My 07 is still working just fine (9300 miles) but maybe I should tear into the clutch just to see?

If you value longevity like the rest of us, get a clutch cover gasket @ $15, remove the clutch cover, and inspect the plates for wear and proper oiling. Tell us please if they are wet with oil. If dry, then fix as described. Cheap overnight maintenance. The oiling process depends on indirect splash oil fed through four tiny #40 drill size weep holes in the inner clutch basket. I'm not impressed with the design, but who gives a shit what anybody cares except folks with clutch problems down the line as described in this thread.

Gary in Fairbanks

If it were me, I'd give some serious thought to a small claims action. I think small claims goes high $$ enough to cover this, so you'd only have ~$100 on the line.

I should have mentioned my mileage. My '07 AE now has 31,568 miles. While the clutch isn't exactly good as new anymore; there are no real noticeable problems with it. I do notice a slower start off the line while 2 up with the honey. But I consider that normal.

If you value longevity like the rest of us, get a clutch cover gasket @ $15, remove the clutch cover, and inspect the plates for wear and proper oiling. Tell us please if they are wet with oil. If dry, then fix as described. Cheap overnight maintenance. The oiling process depends on indirect splash oil fed through four tiny #40 drill size weep holes in the inner clutch basket. I'm not impressed with the design, but who gives a shit what anybody cares except folks with clutch problems down the line as described in this thread.

Gary in Fairbanks
Cheap insurance for sure. I'll be getting in there real soon.

Has anybody tried to enlarge the weep holes?

Cheap insurance for sure. I'll be getting in there real soon. Has anybody tried to enlarge the weep holes?
I seriously thought about it, but was in somewhat of a hurry to get the deal back together. It would take removing the inner clutch boss P/N 3P6-16371-00-00 (see) which contacts the inner teeth of the metal non-fibered clutch plates. The boss then connects the engine power from the engine-driven friction plates via the metal plates to the transmission. Perhaps open them up to #30 drill size.

The limit to oiling appears to be the oil that has to be splashed into the clutch boss from the right crank/rod ends through the fairly small pressure plate holes or primary driven gear while running. Centrifugal force then would force it outward into the inner clutch pack via the four small holes in the clutch boss (my best guess, but?). The outer edges of all the plates are shrouded by the primary driven gear, and unless oil not thrown out of the assembly while running stays and drips onto the plates when stopped, there appears to be no other source. And maybe too much oil is as bad as none at all, but I doubt it.

What interests me is how the plates would look after a few thousand miles of initial running without being pre-oiled = wet or dry? Apparently some have been assembled dry, never get adequate oiling, and clutch issues eventually develop. The SM clearly indicates pre-oiling when assembling.

Gary in Fairbanks