Co-worker backed up into my bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renink

Reaction score
One of my idiot co-workers backed up into my bike and their car scrapped up my whole front fender and pushed the bike back about 5 inches(according the the mark my kickstand left on the ground). I noticed something on the fairing as well but that "could" have been done my a rock while riding. Where can I get parts that are already painted? Does it sound like I should have anything else checked? He knew he f'd up sp he told me to give him the bill. Like he wasn't going the get it anyway...

07 Dark Cherry

University Motors

When you order the side panels they come already painted to match the appropriate bike/year.

JW

One of my idiot co-workers backed up into my bike and their car scrapped up my whole front fender and pushed the bike back about 5 inches(according the the mark my kickstand left on the ground). I noticed something on the fairing as well but that "could" have been done my a rock while riding. Where can I get parts that are already painted? Does it sound like I should have anything else checked? He knew he f'd up sp he told me to give him the bill. Like he wasn't going the get it anyway...
07 Dark Cherry

I would suggest that you get that bike to a knowledgeable dealer to have the frame/forks/headstock examined - if he pushed it backwards 5 inches, there's a chance that there is frame/suspension damage. These bikes aren't made with those forces in mind.

I would suggest that you get that bike to a knowledgeable dealer to have the frame/forks/headstock examined - if he pushed it backwards 5 inches, there's a chance that there is frame/suspension damage. These bikes aren't made with those forces in mind.
Absolutely! Most dealers will do an estimate/examination for $100-$200. That will be added to his "bill".

If he merely caught the fender and pushed the bike rearward, all is well and good. BUT, if his bumper rode up on top of your front wheel, the forks could be twisted or the wheel slightly bent.

You want to be sure...as if your life depended on it.

From the "Bin-O'-Facts" for GenII FJRs:

ServicingParts: Contact info for University Motors

Mike Kolstad at University Motors Clicky for more details on contact info:

Website number is listed as: 866-551-6478 (updated 4/21/2007 or perhaps try: 877 392-6242)

Genuine Yamaha Parts catalog: Clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I will be the odd man out here. If all you see are a few scratches, and the bike was upright, just having been slid back 5 inches, I would say that there is almost no possibility of frame/suspension/wheel damage. Those are all fairly hefty components.

Just inspect everything carefully and call University Motors. They are your friend.

Well, I will be the odd man out here. If all you see are a few scratches, and the bike was upright, just having been slid back 5 inches, I would say that there is almost no possibility of frame/suspension/wheel damage. Those are all fairly hefty components.
Just inspect everything carefully and call University Motors. They are your friend.
I agree with ya Scoot, Oh crap now were both odd?

I'm with Scoot an Jwilly. The forks are pretty damn tough and I've even pushed my bike back on the stand by hand onec before. I would however have the tire/rim checked out. If anything is up with the rim that would cause an issue, it should be visually noticeable. The tire should be the same, but maybe not so much.

Double check the stand, make sure it's in good shape, replace the fender and bill your co-worker. If you are concerned about the forks, check them with a straight edge and measure near the top, middle and bottom between them.

Be sure and add in your time for changing the fender...figure $75 per hour for a minimum of 1/2 an hour. :)

Stop dicking around with something that won't be coming out of your pocket. Take that darn bike to the dealer and have them go over it and make the necessary repairs. Then, send them the bill.

However, if the bill is anything over 500.00 have your insurance company handle the whole thing cause people start acting stupid when big amounts come into the picture.

Me, I would have a police report made and tell the dork that my insurance compand demanded it..ie., there's nothing like having all of your ducks in order.

Vinni Daniels,

Tha Butcher of Naples

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but anybody know how much one of the side panels cost, the silver ones that have the FJR logo on them? The way I rest my feet made the lumpy part of my boots (that covers the ankle bones) rub through the paint on both sides. I'll do protective film on the new ones.

OMG, probably the same guy used to be my co-worker. He did the same thing to me. I had just gotten off my Concours ('95), walked to the back of the bike and was getting my stuff unstrapped. He pulls up and starts to back into my spot. But then he stops, and I figured he finally saw me and starts to pull forward. So I continue getting my stuff unstrapped and he throws it in reverse and back right into the front of my bike. AARRRGGG!!!!

Same as yours, it gets slid back about 6" but doesn't go down. I had my helmet sitting on the seat and it takes a tumble onto the asphault, scratching the crap out of it. I yell out WTF!!! He gets out and start stammering about he didn't see me even after he checked his mirrors. Yea right. Anyway, he gave me his insurance and I get a new fender, helmet and he pays for me to take it in and have the forks checked out.

Dumbass.

My boss backed one of his Porsche GT2s into the BACK of my then new 2003 Concours in my reserved space in the company garage at the office and knocked it over.

It had fallen on the right side and he rides dirt bikes . . . he tried to be a good samaritan and pick it up.

He muscled the machine back up and, not having thought the matter through, now found himself on the right side of my bike and the side stand not extended. According to him, his dirt bikes all have their side stands on the right (they do?). So, what did he do? Of course, he dropped it on the LEFT side.

$2600 later the bike still wasn't quite right. He certainly could afford to pay the cost of the repair (he's since bought a Lear Jet to go along with the GT3s he's upgraded to and he got rid of the Ferrari), so I didn't feel sorry for him for the financial elements - but my bike was certainly tall enough for him to see in the rear view mirror of his machine.

Not sure if this will help, but when I park at work, or any other parking lot. I back in and then pull forward so the the front of the bike is even with the bumpers next to me. That way someone coming along looking for a parking space will see that my space is occupied.

Even some small cars, when they pull all the way into a parking space, give the impression that the space is empty.

I disagree. A woman drove into the rear end of my XS11 at the gas pumps. She knocked it about four feet forward and it wound up on its side. I billed her for the visible damage. I had a rack rigidly attached to the rear frame (no sub-frame in those days). Imagine my surprise when the rear frame broke about a year later.

Not sure if this will help, but when I park at work, or any other parking lot. I back in and then pull forward so the the front of the bike is even with the bumpers next to me. That way someone coming along looking for a parking space will see that my space is occupied.
Even some small cars, when they pull all the way into a parking space, give the impression that the space is empty.
I do the same thing now. I try to make it as visible as possible.

If your co-worker has a good lookin female partner, tell him he owes you for repair of the bike and then some for being such an idiot.