Considering a used 2008 FJR1300AE -- need help with issues?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve in Phx

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2008 FJR1300AE model at a local dealer. It is used, with 3200 miles on it.

I need some of you to help me answer a few questions before I go back to them again.

Please forgive the ignorant questions but I need input from FJR owners that may have already experienced what I'm looking at.

1) During my test ride, when the bike was still cold, the auto-clutch stuttered / surged in first gear with a light throttle before engaging. Is that normal because I didn't give it enough gas to get going? Or because it was cold? It handled fine after that.

2) Also during my test ride, the front tire was low on air. It was a real struggle to manage the handlebars in anything but a straight line. I couldn't identify any issues with the front end and am contributing the handling issue to the low tire. They offered to replace it with a new one (this Bridgestone is totally BALD after only 3200 miles) but I want another test ride before committing to a purchase. Is an FJR normally hard to flick around? This was REALLY hard with the low tire.

3) The back brakes are full of air. All sponge. Hardly enough braking power to do anything with them at all and the pedal went almost all the way down to the stops before firming up. I could easily fix them myself, but don't want to with a bike this new (and it's out of warranty).

4) The factory warranty is expired but I have the option of buying a new warranty through the dealer. That might cost another $950. Suggestions?

What gives? Should I look elsewhere? Price is the deciding factor. If I could get it for a great price, what would that "great" price be?

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

-Steve in Phx.

2) A low front would account for a bunch. The front isn't typically heavy on the FJR when pressure is set to a reasonable level. But bald after 3200 miles though sounds VERY strange. Warning Will.

3) Air in the system? I'd wonder if this is symptomatic of something else. They don't leak in normal use that I know of. They are linked. Just guessing, but maybe the front end was in an accident, was repaired, and they didn't bleed the rear? Danger Will Robinson!

4) I'd be skeptical of any non Y.E.S. warranty....especially since it seems to be double the price of what it was. Read the fine print and compare to a Y.E.S. warranty.

If something doesn't smell right with this bike...there are MANY other AE's in the world for sale.

Steve,

I have an 08AE I bought new a couple of months ago. I just turned 3,000 miles and I've had no problem with any stuttering or mushy braking. And I can't believe the dealer didn't air up that (bald?) tire for you, with correct air (not that I've had to add any) my bike (with like new tread) is rock solid. I was riding a long stretch of beautiful two lane blacktop the other day, had my throttlemeister twisted on and she cruised along as if she were on a rail. As far as "flicking" her around I'm constantly amazed how nimble she is. Sounds like the previous owner of the used bike really trashed her. By the way, I don't know how much you're paying for this bike but I was at a bike night yesterday at Quaker Steak and Oil in St.Pete and Barney's had a new 08AE for $10,999.00, same price I paid from a different dealer.

Hope this helps with your decision...bigjimbiker from Florida :yahoo:

The 2008's indeed can be had new for a touch under 11k. One of the dealers in the PNW has them for the same 10999.00 , for $950 you could have t almost any dealer ship you a new bike with the full YES. The front tire on my 2008 is a 021 POS, and lasted 4k. I have not had any brake, or engine lurching issues , and I am putting on a fair amount of trouble free miles.

The studdering when cold is normal if you try to very slowly rev it up. Take off like it's a scooter. Bring it up to 1400 RPMs progressively. Not too fast, not too slow. It's a learned balance.

The front tire would need to be ridden with 20-30 lbs the entire 3000 to wear it bald. That would definitely make it handle like a slug.

Require the dealer to properly bleed the rear brakes (They shouldn't let it go out again until it's working correctly. This it a safety issue.) and replace the front tire, then ride it again. Let it idle for two or three minutes before riding it.

You will be shocked how different it will feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I occasionally experience the "stutter" when taking off from a stop when the bike is cold. It seems to only happen with very little throttle input. Never happens once she's warmed up. My bike came with the Metzler Roadtecs, and they are still looking good at 6,200 miles. I've never had any flickability issues,so I'd attribute that to the low tire. No brake problems either. As to price,I bought mine at the end of June from a dealer in MN and had it shipped here Phoenix for a grand total of $11,367.99. That doesn't include TTL. That was for a brand new, 0 miles, just out of the crate 08 AE. Check out what the dealers have listed on ebay.

Mike

Great comments, thanks! Anyone else? This dealer's last offer was $11,000 O.T.D. without the warranty.

I will only comment on low tire pressure. When i picked up my new to me used 07 AE with 2500 miles on it, I specifically asked about the air pressures before I took off. I was assured it was just right. I had flown in to pick up the bike and it was in perfect shape so I left Spokane for home.

That sucker wouldn't hardly turn. I was new to the FJR and fought it for the 300 miles home wondering what I had gotten myself in to with this bike. Luckily - most of it was slabbing it down I90 but it took brute force with both arms to even navigate a sweeper. Imagine how relieved I was to find really low air pressure. Felt stupid as well.

With proper air, it handles wonderfully. I couldn't be happier.

Great comments, thanks! Anyone else? This dealer's last offer was $11,000 O.T.D. without the warranty.
I'd jump on this Clicky if I were in the market right now. If you're willing to go to Tulsa,OK to pick it up, you can get a new 08 AE for $10,800. I personally wouldn't touch that used bike with a 10 foot pole,especially not for that money. YMMV.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
A used and abused bike for the same price as one elsewhere out of a crate? The crate bike will have a warranty and for $380 you can get YES from Yamaha which will be honored.

Also, a dealer who will have you sign the typical waiver on your life and send you out with a low pressure bald tire and bad brakes is not one I would trust.

BTW: I love my 2007 AE. The semiautomatic makes be feel like I am in a F1 car - that is where the technology comes from. Start it up (garage temp in the winter or at work later in the day 20-25 degrees), back it out, twist and go. Basically, the 2 minutes to get comfortable and back it out is plenty of warm up (but it would be best to not hammer it until you have 2 bars which is about half a mile). I was used to a carb bike which required 5 minutes of warm up and it would be tough to drive for about another 5 minutes.

Hi Steve and welcome,

1. I have had my AE for about month and have about 1200 miles on it. I posted just after getting it about the shudder or surging just off throttle. I learned I was paying to much attention to clutch engagement and rolling on the throttle too slow. It is much much worse when cold and a soaking of the clutch plates may help. With milaege it is better and hardly noticeable now. It is just different than a clutch bike and it's a matter of learning how to work it smoothly.

2. A low front tire will make any bike handle poorly. Mine had been on the showroom floor for a while and the front tire was low. I found this during my pre-ride inspection. Always do the pre-ride inspection.

3. No comment on the brakes. I would be conscerned a bit being such a low mileage bike.

4. I never buy aftermarket warranties. In most cases they are only honored by the selling dealer. In todays economy I would not count on that dealer being there to honor it.

As most have said, there are many brand new bikes out there for equal to or less than what this dealer wants for used.

Look on Cycletrader, I have seen a few 08AE's for $9999.00 +TTL.

Also call the dealers in your area, you never know what's on the floor.

I called a local dealer and they had the 08AE for $9900.00 +TTL. I went and bought it that night.

Hello Steve, I have an 07AE and I have never had any handling issues, the bike responds instantly to your every move. I do get an occasional shuttering at cold and when there is not the right amount of throttle given, you have to ride the bike a few days an learn the throttle response, this is a small price to pay for such a great bike, once you figure this out you will enjoy the ease of riding and shifting, I purchased my 07 new and there are plenty of dealers who are willing to price match it sounds like you would not be happy if you purchased this 08, that said in order to get more for your money have the dealer throw in a new jacket, gloves, and helmet at a substantial discount, the dealer I purchased from gave me a helmet, jacket, and gloves for 75% off they discounted the bike price lower than what we agreed to in order to cover the items, in CA you must have a helmet in order to ride home from the dealer just a thought. I purchased my new 07 in March of 08 for 10,700 helmet, jacket, and gloves OTD. If your not sure about this bike just find another 08 AE and you'll be happy you did.

This dealer's last offer was $11,000 O.T.D. without the warranty.
PFFFT...You can probably find a NEW one WITH warranty for that.
Thanks Gary, I've heard statements like that before, but I've been shopping for 6 months and haven't found any such deals on new bikes.

The cheapest I found to date was at a dealership in Tulsa, OK, but I'm wary of that for two reasons:

1) Riding a new bike home 1000+ miles and finding any kind of problem on the road would negate any savings.

2) Showing up at a dealership with no ride home is the easiest way for a dealer to stick it to me. He'll know I'm not leaving without a new bike.

Latest posts