Considering Rejoining the FJR Ranks - Question for 2016 ES owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nels Erickson

Reaction score
Greetings folks!

After a couple year hiatus, the wife and I are probably going to be looking at a good 2-up bike for next year. I had a 2005 FJR that I loved (except for the heat issue) so will definitely be looking at the FJR again. I wanted to get some feedback from owners of the new ES bikes on how they like the electronic suspension and overall feedback on the bike.

Appreciate any feedback, and looking forward to potentially owning a cruise missle again.

Nels

The inverted forks are a nice improvement and the ES is far better than I expected it to be but it is not designed for a 2-up load in excess of 400 lbs. The damping is still good with a heavy load but excess sag at the back results in pretty slow steering. Not a problem when crusing in a straight line but it can be a hand full trying to negotiate a tight corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nels, Here's my $.02: Buy a Gen 3.

I had a 2005 FJR and rode the heck out of it for 10+ years and 117,000+ miles. I loved that bike.

I bought a used 2014ES this spring and have fallen in love with it. It is the proper evolution of the gen1 bikes. It feels way more refined, smoother, etc. The ES suspension is better and adjustability is great. The heat and airflow management is better and the cruise control is fantastic. The only small (really small) complaint I have relative to the 2005 is the gearing. Because the gearing is slightly taller with the 2014 vs. 2005, roll on response at highway speed is slightly less pronounced.

If I really need to step it up for passing etc. I know drop it into 4th whereas before a 5th gear roll on was usually sufficient. But this is a small thing. The rest of the improvements make up for it. It shifts better, the windshield mechanism is better, heated grips, you name it, all contribute to a fine, more polished feeling machine.

There have been a lot of very sweet 2014c and 2015 ES models for sale recently. If you don't need the 6 speed (you don't) maybe consider a nicely farkled 2014 or 2015.

Have fun shopping!

If I really need to step it up for passing etc. I know drop it into 4th whereas before a 5th gear roll on was usually sufficient. But this is a small thing.
Ha! I came off an HD Ultra where I was constantly downshifting and upshifting. For the occasional, and I mean the really rare need to downshift, the 2016 ES is sooo very nice. As a matter of fact, when I do downshift, I know its time for business and that makes it fun for me. ...Don

My wife and I with gear are well over 500 lbs. LOVE it no issues.
Each? So when she says, "Whoa Big Daddy!" she means.........what?

Ok, I know the man asked specifically about the ES but let's not forget to enlighten him about the other problem. You know, that pesky CEL thing.

My wife and I with gear are well over 500 lbs. LOVE it no issues.
Each? So when she says, "Whoa Big Daddy!" she means.........what?

Ok, I know the man asked specifically about the ES but let's not forget to enlighten him about the other problem. You know, that pesky CEL thing.

I had seen a few threads about the CEL, but haven't dived into them yet. Is it just a false positive or is there really a problem?

Thanks for all the responses folks, good info.

Just so I'm clear on terminology, Gen 3 is the 2014-2015 bikes and Gen 3.5 is the 2016 with a 6 speed?

Out of curiosity, what's the engine RPM on the 6 speeds at highway speeds? Say 70mph or so.

Just so I'm clear on terminology, Gen 3 is the 2014-2015 bikes and Gen 3.5 is the 2016 with a 6 speed?
There is not universal consensus on this. However, until or unless somebody wants to do an analysis of parts interchangeability I've adopted 3.5 for 2016+ at the FJR Model Comparison Matrix.

I had seen a few threads about the CEL, but haven't dived into them yet. Is it just a false positive or is there really a problem?

As someone else who is looking at a blue '16 A in the spring of '17, this one has me a little concerned. From the couple of long threads that I've read about it, it appears to be either a false positive associated with using the kill switch to turn off the bike (throws up a kickstand error) and/or an error kicked by a slow or partial turn of the ignition key (rather than a quick, positive snap right to the "on" position) due to either inattention or a cumbersome riser plate. That's what I gathered from the thread, anyhow...hope I have it correct. I'm reassuring myself that a). I don't use the killswitch to turn off my bike, and 2). I can remember to do a quick snap of the ignition to the correct "on" position...so maybe I won't run into that same CEL issue.

I admit, though, the CEL issue has me a little concerned...the bike I have now runs great and I don't have a lot of patience for mechanical problems and dealer trips...would hate to finally make the leap to the FJR after considering it for a couple years and have it become an annoyance and regret rather than a joyful change.

I turn off my '16 ES all the time with the kill switch and so far the CEL has not come on. I have not yet made the mistake of accidentally killing the engine by putting down the side stand while in gear so I can't address if that would make the CEL come on or not.

This is a fantastic bike--I traded in a '13 to get the higher cruise control limit, the 6 speed with the slipper clutch, and the electronic suspension with no regrets. I also had an '03 a while back and the Gen 3's are a huge improvement, especially concerning the heat issue (as were the Gen 2's).

I've had my '14ES for almost 3 three years and after riding over 46k miles, it has been trouble free. I upgraded from an '08AE (auto clutch) because I wanted more adjustability when going from slab to city to twisties and from 1up to 2up. The ES has worked great but I'm now wondering about the cost and options of rebuilding the rear shock. I don't need it yet, but in another year probably. I'll be changing the fork oil for the first time this weekend and suspect that will add back some of the smoothness and dampening that has slipped away in the front.

As for the other upgrades in the Gen 3, I wouldn't want to do without heated grips, abs, smoother air, cruise control and lcd menus.

There is NO issue turning off a 2016 with the side stand. As near as I can tell there are 2 ways to generate the P1601 error. 1. Try and start the bike with the key <nearly> in the ON position. 2. Slowly turn the key to ON, like 3 to 4 seconds slow and you'll generate the P1601 error.

The shop manual lists several possibilities for the P1601 but they are all related to the ignition circuit and the side stand switch, which is part of the ignition circuit.

The issue is you <could> get a CEL and not know why it happened or what it is. It could be the key or it could be something serious. I've only had one accidental CEL since learning these facts and I know it was due to not turning the key all the way on. The bike turned over, but didn't start, resulting in a CEL.

I've wired in an OBDII WiFi based scanner on my bike and can read and clear any future codes with my iPhone or Laptop. I demoed this at the fall tech session up here in the Seattle area a few weeks back.

This could be considered an issue if you get a CEL, can't attribute it to something you did as #1 or #2 above, and don't have the adapter cable and OBDII scanner to confirm the code.

Thanks for all the responses folks, good info.

Out of curiosity, what's the engine RPM on the 6 speeds at highway speeds? Say 70mph or so.
The Gen III series started with the 2013 model introduction ("A" model only). For 2014, 2015 "A" and "ES" - only difference is color. 2013, 2014 & 2015 "A" models identical except color and cruise limit (2013 at 80mph, 2014, 2015 at 100mph).

Dan

Again, thanks for all the responses guys. I'm being reminded why I loved this site. Knowledgeable and helpful members.

I guess it's a good thing I saved my techmount stem nut when I sold my 2005... =)

Greetings folks!
After a couple year hiatus, the wife and I are probably going to be looking at a good 2-up bike for next year. I had a 2005 FJR that I loved (except for the heat issue) so will definitely be looking at the FJR again. I wanted to get some feedback from owners of the new ES bikes on how they like the electronic suspension and overall feedback on the bike.

Appreciate any feedback, and looking forward to potentially owning a cruise missle again.

Nels

Hi Nels,

I too had the '05 but now have the '15 A. I know you specifically asked about the ES but please consider reading this purchase thread about the '15A here. Here is the full link, if needed: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/169987-2015-fjr/?hl=elgin

Disclosure: I worked for BBK earlier this summer; I've known the owner, Brian, for 15+ years and recommend him. I do not earn a commission for posting. Also, there are other shops that are selling the '15A for about the same price. Shop around, your mileage may vary, etc etc!

Best of luck and keep us posted,

Patrick

Greetings folks!

Nels
I posted info from another forum. I apologize. Let me clean up my mess and I will repost. My apologies. Patrick
Ooh, you musta got a good whack on the peepee for that one!!