Counteract balancing beads?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, two half arsed methods equals a complete one??
mda.gif

I've never tried them, but I do install my own tires and although I built up a static balancer when I bought my changer, I have not bothered to balance the last dozen or so tires I've installed. This was after I realized the weights had fallen off one of my bikes, and I hadn't noticed any difference.

No issues. I know many others who do the same. Motorcycle tires tend to be pretty well balanced..

No scientific data here, just my experience. I don't often get above 100, if that matters..

I have always used weights on my rims, never had any experience with the beads. I saw the Counteract Balancing Beads at the motorcycle show in Toronto and thought they were pretty slick. I just put on new PR4's and used the beads, 1ounce in front and 2 ounces in the rear as recommended. Took off the previous weights, shined up the rims and took her for good ride. Smooth as silk! At this point, they are doing everything they are suppose to and I am VERY happy! Just my 2 cents (well, nickel maybe since we don't use pennies in Canada anymore). :)

FWIW, many tires are already pretty close and could be run without any sort of balancing. I have had a number of Michelins that needed no more than 2 x 1/4 oz weights. I've had that much weight fall off a wheel (didn't pre-clean rim enough) without noticing additional vibration.

I've never tried them, but I do install my own tires and although I built up a static balancer when I bought my changer, I have not bothered to balance the last dozen or so tires I've installed. This was after I realized the weights had fallen off one of my bikes, and I hadn't noticed any difference.
No issues. I know many others who do the same. Motorcycle tires tend to be pretty well balanced..

No scientific data here, just my experience. I don't often get above 100, if that matters..
In ancient times I mounted a new tire on the rear of my CX500. Took the existing weight off, spun the wheel on center stand 5th gear. Moved the weight around for minimum shake. Honestly could not tell any difference riding at any speed but could see some difference this way in the driveway.

Motorcycle suspensions are sprung relatively stiff compared to automobiles. Out of balance wheels don't have the same effect. Large trucks rarely have balance weights.

FWIW, many tires are already pretty close and could be run without any sort of balancing. I have had a number of Michelins that needed no more than 2 x 1/4 oz weights.
+1 to that, especially as it applies to the back tire which has a higher total mass. In imbalance of 1/2 oz on a wheel and tire that weighs 30 lbs is going to be imperceptible.

I just mounted a new PR3 for bbdig yesterday. Spooned it on with the bar code opposite the valve stem, only because there are no balance marks on Michelins and it would be a good reference point in case we wanted to rotate the tire on the rim after checking the balance. Turns out it took exactly 2 - 7 gram (1/4 oz.) weights to balance, which is less than a bare wheel takes, so I had lucked out and put the heavy spot of the tire at (or near) the light spot of the rim. I am positive we could have left those two weights off and it would have been fine. But we were already there, so why not "do it right"?

Last edited by a moderator: