Crap! A Flat Tire on a Road Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biknflyfisher

Reaction score
Well, after many years of running on dumb Swedish luck, I had my first on-the-road flat.

I was zipping up Hiway 178 above Lake Isabella happily enjoying the 1st of 3 days on the road with my Dad and 1 other rider, and stopped at the crest of Walker Pass to wait for my partners. As I often do, I was just checking things over on the bike when I noticed an "odd" mark in the middle of the tread of my rear Metz Z6 tire. Dad and Jim soon showed up and we talked a bit, but then I had another look at the tire and gave the tread a "push" with my thumb - RATS, it's going soft!! I recalled hearing/feeling the rear tire hit something in the road a ways back, so I must have hit a rock with a very sharp point that pushed it's way through.

We immediately headed down the east side of Walker Pass towards Ridgecrest at a slow pace hoping to make it to InyoKern where I could grab some air, then limp on to Honda of Ridgecrest.

Long story short, they had no plugs that would work so my choices were to buy an auto plug kit at a local Kragen, or put on a new Metzler M3 that they had in stock that was the correct size for the FJR. Now, the last thing I wanted to do was fret about having the plug fail in the middle of nowhere (like half way between Trona and Panamint Springs), so I opted to do the safer but more expensive thing and re-tire (as such) on the road.

Props to the folks at Honda of Ridgecrest for helping out on short notice and taking great care of my bike too.

The rest of the trip to Death Valley and Beatty, NV was great (well, other than the wind on Friday) and a fun time was had by all,,,

Lesson learned though - have an air compressor along and a plug kit too - your luck will eventually run out, and usually in the most inconvenient place of course. By-the-way, no speed runs were attempted on this DV trip - Still clearly remember last time when I saw 140 on the speedo,,,

Be safe out there.

Brian the biknflyfisher

Car type sticky strings are no problem on the road as long as the hole is not in or too near the sidewall. Get some and an air pump so you'll be prepared next time.

Personally, I carry a small bicycle pump but more people prefer the 12 volt type of air pump. Search this site and you'll find a lot of good advice and many opinions on fixing a flat tire.

Ditto!

A Slime Compressor kit at WalMart is $24. Throw the Slime shit away and the compressor fits perfect right under the rider's seat with the cord and hose. Tucked next to it is a WalMart gooey string plug kit. That should have been about a 10-15 minute delay.

In addition, I run TyreGaurdian in my tires. The stuff is the bomb!

In about a week, I'll be doing a video of me drilling holes into my front and back PR2's to see how it works after 10k miles on the tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually had the first flat ever last weekend in Arkansas. Picked up a thin piece of metal in the rear tire. Tried to plug it but no luck. We took the tire off the rim partially and found that the metal piece had gone in at an angle, and we put the plug straight in making an extra hole :angry2:

We first took it to a Yamaha dealer who wouldn't patch it for "liability" reasons, but offered a new tire instead. Being that it was relatively new PR2 with about 1,000 miles, I decided to take it to a tire shop to have a patch put in, which has held up so far. Now I'm going to start carrying everything needed to patch a tire along with the plug kit and 12v pump I've been toting.

Lost about a half a day of riding on that one <_<

Carry a Dyna Plug and a Slime compressor (Ebay or Amazon). I got a 3 inch nail in my new C14 rear tire at 800 miles last month. Plugged, pumped and was on my way in minutes. Back home I did get a new PR2 installed because the nail hole was a nasty sideways puncture that needed two plugs to seal.

Sticky string (and the two tools it comes with) and a 12-v compressor. 15 minutes max.

Tires will last their normal life with these plugs, I ran a BT-021 rear to 11K with two plugs, one at 300 miles, the other at 1500.

The puncture has to be in the tread, and a round puncture, like a nail or screw, and not a cut. If you've cut the tire or punctured the sidewall, get a new tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that might be in that area in the future, an FJR member, Wendy/BionicPelvis, and her hubby, Mike, have a motorcycle shop in Kernville so keep that in mind if you find yourself stuck out that way! B)

2011.04.14%20368-L.jpg

My Wal-Mart sells a small Slime 12v pump for $9.98. It's called a"top off" kit or something ...sold without the bottle of Slime.. Not sure what else comes with it...might just be the pump. Has a built in pressure gauge. FYI.

KM

51eEGgbJvXL._AA300_.jpg

This is the one I bought at Wal Mart. It uses an Cigarette LIghter / SAE plug-end which mates with the one I have installed for my battery tender. It came with a small bottle of Slime that was in the kit which I'd never use in a good tire so it's out.

Removed from the package, the compressor along with the unattached hose and cigarette/sae pigtail fit neatly in the tray under the rider's seat with room to spare for a plug kit w/tools.

In addition, I run TyreGaurdian in my tires. The stuff is the bomb!

In about a week, I'll be doing a video of me drilling holes into my front and back PR2's to see how it works after 10k miles on the tires.
I used to have an old Virago with V rated bias plies (with tubes) in which I used Ride On sealant. Before changing tires, I rode 2-3 miles to distribute the sealant, checked pressures, and with a 16 penny nail punched 3 holes in each tire. The front sealed at 22 psi, the rear at 34 psi. I didn't re inflate and ride to see how the plugs would hold up, though.

When I had a nasty puncture in my rear, I used the mushroom plugs. I had a kit and an aerostich pump, which worked a treat. Anyway, I could not completely seal it, very slow leak. I did not trust it and took it to the yamaha shop. The mech used the rope/stick type. Took him 3 tries and it stoped. 30 miles down the road it failed. I got a free tow as far as I could with my insurance (100 miles,) and while I waited for my friend with his trailer, I patched it again with my plugs. Again, a minute leak. The trailer he brought scared me more that the tire! My friend took my wife and gear, and I easily made it the 60 miles home. I will now carry both types of plugs. Go figure! Being prepared will eliminate the need to by a tire that you may not really want for an exorbitant price. I had a new pr2 at home that I just bought, so I was motivated to get home! Thats my story and I'm sticking..........

Now, the last thing I wanted to do was fret about having the plug fail in the middle of nowhere (like half way between Trona and Panamint Springs), so I opted to do the safer but more expensive thing and re-tire (as such) on the road.
But really, what could be better than spending a couple of nights in the beauty of Trona?

There is many repair kits on the market with CO2 cartridges. It is small enough I always have repair kit under my saddle :)

Besides you never know when you will need it.

Come to think of it, this is something I need to get before my summer trip comes up. I'm going to head out across the country in early June as soon as school lets out, and was just reminded that I ought to have something on hand for flats. Space is limited, so I'll have to pack smart.

Gary

darksider #44

Latest posts