dual compound tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s_boy

Reaction score
i replaced the OEM 021 on the font prior to 4k on the feej.

just rolled over 5k on the rear and i can now see the center compound - it visibly contrasts against the softer sides.

however the wear bars are still fine and the bike performs fine.

should i toss it?

maybe NEPRT - but i did a search?

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends. Is there any sign of a problem with the tire other than the contrast? If not then I'd ride it down to the wear bars before replacing. FWIW, I've never had a front tire wear out before the rear tire.

It depends. Is there any sign of a problem with the tire other than the contrast? If not then I'd ride it down to the wear bars before replacing. FWIW, I've never had a front tire wear out before the rear tire.
Yeah, I'd check after each ride for signs of the cords peaking through and promptly replace when they do, you may not reach the wear bars before they show.

And FWIW, I went through two BT-021 fronts for one rear.

I have the belts just coming through on my D220 rear. I'll wait until I have it exposed ALL the way around, and about an inch wide before I take it off............ or until it goes flat, whichever comes first <_<

I have the belts just coming through on my D220 rear. I'll wait until I have it exposed ALL the way around, and about an inch wide before I take it off............ or until it goes flat, whichever comes first <_<
I found that distance to be 50 miles.

:)

I've never met a set of wear bars that I liked...when they show up I start shopping tires and postpone the ride. Since this made it to NEPERT, I'll just say I hate Dunlops, 'stones and Z6's, I love the Metz M3 and the Avon Storms, both are at least consistently good for 5000 miles, and I always wear out the front before the rear, and the sides are down to wear bars with thousands left on the center tread...I ain't tried the PR's or PRII's, Pirellis or Conti's

Well up here in Alaska we dont get the selection you lower 48 guys get and my front tire was shaped like a v and my rear was down to threads. with rides planned for the next 3 weeks I needed tires so I had to buy what is available. I bought a Strada front and a road smart rear will see how it hooks up to the road once the stealership gets the tires turned apparently you dcant get same day service up here either glad I am leaving in January.

I am nearing 5 k and my front has the same wear pattern as fbskfjr. I figure I will get to 6k out of the front. The rear is better the wear pattern is good and looks like it will last quite a bit more.

Well up here in Alaska we dont get the selection you lower 48 guys get and my front tire was shaped like a v and my rear was down to threads. with rides planned for the next 3 weeks I needed tires so I had to buy what is available. I bought a Strada front and a road smart rear will see how it hooks up to the road once the stealership gets the tires turned apparently you dcant get same day service up here either glad I am leaving in January.

That combination is what I have been running for the last 5k miles. I think you'll like it. The only compromise is that the center of the Roadsmart rear tire is a pretty hard compound, so it will get loose and activate the ABS if you brake and downshift in a straight line. When leaned over I haven't felt is get squirrely back there on the softer side compound, but I don't generally brake and downshift at the same time when leaned over.

FWIW, I've never had a front tire wear out before the rear tire.
Have you ever run a 'Stone 021 on (the front of) your FJR? I think it's not that un-common?

YMMV.... :unsure:
I don't think I ever tried the 021s. If I have to be surprised by a tire going flat from lack of tread I'd much rather it be the rear one. I think I'll stay away from those tires.

Regarding wear bars, there seems to be quite a difference from brand to band regarding how much is left once you hit the bars. I usually keep a set of tires in the garage and order a new set as soon as I spoon those on so I always have a set waiting. I try to replace mine as soon as I see the wear bars showing.

Perhaps dual-compound tires aren't necessary in your part of the country?

Here in the plains, we square off and wear out the middle part long before there is noticeable wear on the sides of the tires.

I have worn through the first layer of rubber several times. The next layer doesn't stick very well, so that's when we replace tires.

no other problems yet - but watching closely.

yea it's common for the 021 fronts to wear out before the rears (on feejers).

just rolled over 5k on the rear and i can now see the center compound - it visibly contrasts against the softer sides.

should i toss it?

I'd toss that POS as far as I could, as fast as I could. Those were the worse tires I've ever run on a bike. Just my humble personal opinion. I couldn't take any more of them at 4,000 miles and replaced them with the PR2's. All is well now.

GP

I have 3100 miles on my '08 and the front Stone 021 is now at the wear bars. I have put the majority of these miles on in the lovely hills of Malibu (Latigo cnyn, Piuma, Las Flores, Mulholland, Encincal and surrounding). Lots of tight twisties. The rear still looks good so I will replace the front with another 021 (to keep front/rear match up synchronized). I will give other brands a try once I burn through the next set on the Feejer...

should i toss it?

I'd toss that POS as far as I could, as fast as I could. Those were the worse tires I've ever run on a bike. Just my humble personal opinion. I couldn't take any more of them at 4,000 miles and replaced them with the PR2's. All is well now.

GP

I did the same with the Conti Road Attacks on mine. Near new, spooned off, PR2's on. Couldn't give the POS Conti's away.

Steve