Dunlop 220?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have.

It is an outstanding tire, marred by one very unfortunate trait: the rear treadlife is abysmal. Many can't even manage 3000-4000 miles before they are toast.

However, while it does lasts... these tires are pretty amazing, particularly in the tighter twisties. They offer blazingly fast transitions, and you can really lean that bike over to a degree you probably haven't before, all with extreme confidence.

But the damn things just won't last, is the only problem. Otherwise, I'd liken them to the Avons in performance (except in wet weather, where the Avons really shine.)

I have a set on my 1200 Bandit, very nice tire for all around use, wet traction is particularly good. I feel I can push hard on these and get away with things I would not try on a hardcore sports tire as they seem to give lots of early warning signs before letting go, you get a good feel for the limit it seems. I used to run the 207s, the 220 is more fun.

I tried them once, but wore out the rear in 3300 miles of fairly easy running. Supposedly Dunlop has changed the compound to address the short-life issue, but I have no experience.

Otherwise, they worked fine, but with such good choices from Avon, Metzeler, and Michelin, I'd stick with these.

- Mark