Edelweiss Tours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But Knifemaker, they'll teach you how to drink grappa and poteen in great quantities. A fun group of people those Italianos!
Word of advice - *don't* drink the clear grappa! It's paint thinner. Spend the extra euros and go for the golden or yellow grappa. Much smoother.

Go ahead..ask me how I know... ;(

Word of advice - *don't* drink the clear grappa! It's paint thinner. Spend the extra euros and go for the golden or yellow grappa. Much smoother.
Go ahead..ask me how I know... ;(
Heh heh heh, you big pussy... :p :p :p and you've only drunk the commercial variety.

There's bootleg grappa everywhere in Italy and it's mostly the clear kind (like your white lightning). In Sardinia they have a home-made variety

called "barb-wire". A lot of folks believe the name describes the effects on your stomach. In actual fact, farmers in Sardinia would produce their bootleg and bury it in the fields lest Johnny Law should confiscate it (and drink it, of course). They used to mark the spot with a short length of barb-wire stuck in the ground, inconspicuous but effective. There, now you know.

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the input, links and suggestions. As May seems like the time to go, it looks like this will be a 2010 trip instead of this coming year. I will save the link to this thread for future use.

The "no worries" ride that Edelweiss offers is very attractive, but the idea of just renting a bike myself and winging it does sound like fun. So not sure right now which will win out.

I will assume that even with the Edelweiss folks we will need to furnish our own riding gear, helmets, rainsuits, etc?

And if we wanted some kind of rider to passenger com system we would need to bring that too.

I should also point out that our intrest is not in making the trip a "Motorcycle Themed" one , with jaunts over twisty mountain roads as one of the reasons for being there , but simply a nice tour through the cities and countryside of Italy , seeing all the classic tourist sites along with some stops at small towns and vinyards, and just happen to be doing it on a motorcycle instead of renting a car or taking a bus.

So , from that you might see how the idea of renting a bike ourselves and just letting what happens happen does sound intriguing.

Thanks again, will pull this thread back from the depths latter it seems....

Knifemaker and Evey

I will assume that even with the Edelweiss folks we will need to furnish our own riding gear, helmets, rainsuits, etc?
And if we wanted some kind of rider to passenger com system we would need to bring that too.
Yes to both.

So , from that you might see how the idea of renting a bike ourselves and just letting what happens happen does sound intriguing.
Agreed - something my wife and I are planning on doing when we go back to Italy in June. Just rent bikes and winging it. :)