Electronic cruise control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeatherneckPA

Reaction score
In Central PA, on I-80 West there is 18 miles of steady grade climbing. In WV, on I-75 it's either up or down, but nothing is flat. My past experience with throttle locks was less than satisfactory. My HD's all had electronic cruise control on them. It was wonderful. I searched the forum and found ONE mention of electronic cruise control, back in 2006.

Has anybody actually fit and used an electronic cruise on their FJR? Details, please.

To my knowledge there is only one solution, and though the post was likely from 2006, I do not believe enough has changed with the 2008 model to make the procedure any different. Maybe someone with specific experience with an 08 with the Audiovox solution will post their setup (with pics would be nice).

Welcome to the forum, and don't mind the post-Nazis. We're really a decent bunch of people!

I have been looking for one for my 07 but haven't really found something easy to install and use.
You won't find any of the electronic versions easy to install. Takes some time and patience. You will find all of them easy to use.

Do a search with "Audiovox" in the search box or "+Audiovox +install" you will find lots of info. For 2nd generation bike the answer is DIP switch 7 OFF :rolleyes: .

You'll find that another solution is the McCruise. It is more expensive than the Audiovox, but is preferred by many. Search McCruise or Audiovox at site:fjrforum.com in Google and you will find a bunch of stuff. Bin o' Facts is another place to start.

You'll find that another solution is the McCruise. It is more expensive than the Audiovox, but is preferred by many. Search McCruise or Audiovox at site:fjrforum.com in Google and you will find a bunch of stuff. Bin o' Facts is another place to start.
Not to get political, but the McCruise, while custom made specifically for the FJR and easier to install, is pretty much out of the question any more due to exchange rates. It is now nearly $800 US dollars to get one!

Here are some photo's I took from when Smitty was out here to do the install. I have a 2006 and the install was done in Feb of 2007. PHOTOS

Here is a close up of the Audiovox.

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing I put on my '03 when I bought it last summer was an Audiovox unit. I've installed several on cars before, so setup and install wasn't anything new to me other than the fact that it was on a bike. Has worked great for me. If you follow the links posted above you'll find a lot of reference to problems on Gen-II FJRs ('06 and up) but you'll also find the apparent solution in the switch settings.

Highly recommended farkle, along with frame sliders for that just-in-case warm and fuzzy.

I have a 2003 with the McCruise unit (www.mccruise.com) and couldn't be happier. Yes, it's expensive, but it works very well and is reliable. Installation is extensive; the unit's documentation is first rate.

The Audiovox unit is less expensive, but my impression from comments on this board is that there have been some installation and operational problems. I don't want to mislead, so perhaps others can correct or confirm.

My experience with the McCruise model, and the Guymer brothers in Australia (principals at McCruise), has been first rate. Even so, it's an expensive undertaking. I made the decision to proceed in 2005, cried once at the cost of acquisition and implementation, and haven't shed a tear since. I consider it a great addition.

Generally speaking, the cruise control feature is very important to me. I've thorougly enjoyed it on this and other bikes, so the additional expense has been worth it. Your experience may vary.

Good luck. :D

As you quickly determined, this subject has been beat to death and some research following the threads starting in the Bin-O-Facts will likely get you more information than you ever wanted to know about cruise on the FJR. Unlike the unwashed masses however, there are a few different schemes out there. I have the Rostra Global Cruise installed on mine and like it. I have installed two others on previousl ST1100s and they worked fine as well. It is an electronic unit. The servo unit will fit in the space behind the seat and the cable connection to the throttle is really the only painful part. The speed input can be made to the VSS signal taken from the ECU, details available on request. The secret to the install is a great idea from another forum member using a ball bearing screen door slide to guide the actuator cable down to the throttle tang.

Anyway, mine works great and my son buys the unit for about $100 wholesale, I don't know the retail cost, but you could Google Rostra Global Cruise. You do NOT need any of the extra devices or kits, just the basic unit. I can give you details on acutating switches to use and pics if you need the help...or take a trip to Lancaster SC and I will help you with it.

Ed :D

Because it's been done already. And linked in the posts above.

With pics on GenI

My own version here.

There are at least 2 others that have posted their install with pics, and using Google to search works better than the forum's built-in search.

With pics on GenI

My own version here.

There are at least 2 others that have posted their install with pics, and using Google to search works better than the forum's built-in search.
And if only you had read the post before it. He was asking for info on the install of a Rostra Global Cruise. Yes the Audiovox has been listed many times. Every install seems to be different from the other ones. It is hard to try and follow what is being done when you see so many. I am thinking it is worth a couple hundred bucks to have the shop install it.

With pics on GenI

My own version here.

And if only you had read the post before it. He was asking for info on the install of a Rostra Global Cruise. Yes the Audiovox has been listed many times. Every install seems to be different from the other ones. It is hard to try and follow what is being done when you see so many. I am thinking it is worth a couple hundred bucks to have the shop install it.
You're right, I missed the connection, even though I thought I'd read the post. Apologies. . . .

Ed,I was looking at the post on the Rostra Global Cruise unit. I'd be interested in seeing some pics of it installed if you have any. I have an AE also so I would have the same obstacles as you.

Thanks,

Brian
I will try to take some as soon as I can get to it. I might have some that I took during the work but not sure. It works good. Of all the units, I think it is probably easiest to actually do, but they ALL have the issue of mechanically adapting the cable-pulling-throttle arrangement. That is NOT so easy to do, but since all have the same issues, that much is a toss up.

Ed