Eleven Bikes ride Big Bear and ROTW

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barabus

Reaction score
This was a ride to Big Bear, California, and a road called Rim Of The World ("ROTW).

20070825.jpg

This is a shot of me on the Rim of the World- just a mountain road with some vertical exposure.

IMG_0541web.jpg

We meet at Redlands at 10:30 for a run up the mountain. Here John Dumke is concentrating very hard on putting in some new ear buds.

IMG_1017.jpg

FZRob from Epicurean riders made the trip. Good to see you again.

IMG_1018.jpg

Larry (WWFJR) is taking Jim's (Indian Scout) ear off here. Turbo Dave was a surprise and Rayban got to meet the legend himself.

IMG_1019.jpg

Larry(WWFJR) talking another person's ear off. John is thinking, "I cannot hear anything with these new ear plugs in!"

IMG_1022.jpg

MCML (Joesph) is sporting new Cycleport Kevlar Mesh- grey 3/4 Jacket and black pants. Joesph is a classy guy, no doubt about it.

IMG_1025.jpg

TurboDave and Jim pull in for a break. Dave cannot seem to keep his hands on the handle bars. He is undoubtedly tell a fishing story- "That trout was this big!" We all have heard that one before. LOL.

IMG_1026.jpg

This photo doesn't need too much introduction- Fairlaner wearing a wife beater and flexing for the camera.

IMG_1028.jpg

Larry talking some more. LOL! DocDanDC, Larry, FZRob, and Rayban from left to right.

IMG_1031.jpg

Well, it was the weekend and there was LA type traffic. Not too much room for the FJR's to stretch their legs. What did we expect?

IMG_1033.jpg

Lunch at La Montana. Very good Mexican. Left right before the storm!

IMG_1038.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Barry, thanks for putting this ride together. It was great to have a chance to meet some more of the several FJR riders in so CA. As we agreed, we should do this more frequently, after all there are many great uncrowded roads in our area of LA. I had a great time, wonderful mexican food, lots of jolly good fellows and safe experienced riders. The weather was excellent even the lightning and thunder at Big Bear.

Barry.
Thanks for putting together the ride. It was great to see you and meet some new people too.

RT138 to Silver lake kicked ass! Very little traffic and lots of twisties. :yahoo:

Yeah, Larry WWFJR did some good route planning and rumor has it that Fairlaner thinks you are a "Fast and Crazy SOB." Steve you seriously smoke on that 03 FJR. Real pleasure to get passed so easily on the inside as soon as braked or if I even thought about braking. You are going to have to give corning/speed seminar at NFO. How is your driving record? Next time bring your girlfriend or maybe ride three up so the rest of us can hang! LOL.

Barabus, John, Rayban, Fairlaner, Turbo, etc.

I was hoping maybe to join y'all this morning but when my employer got wind that I was leaving in short order (was planning on leaving in mid to late September), I was shown the door and have been in Jerry Maquire mode for 48 hours. I admit, they got me a bit off balance but I was half expecting it as this is common in my field.

I'll be working night and day for a few weeks or more.

Looks like I missed a great day. I'm glad y'all were safe and had fun.

Well, here we go.

1. All pictures AFTER lunch were junk. This included some REALLY cool shots I took while riding showing the pack all going through turns etc. I had bumped a white-balance setting and made them all too dark without noticing. Oh well.

2. I stopped to take pictures and video clips along Rim of the World. I let everyone behind me go by, even filmed the last three. A couple guys stopped for me up ahead. Unfortunately, they didn't get in front of me, so when it came time to turn off onto the "extra" leg that was added yesterday, I missed the turn, nobody was there to signal the turnoff, and I'm a dumbass, so on I went on the original route. About 5 minutes later, I realize I don't see the guys behind me anymore and I'm turning a direction different from what I'd seen on the map online before I left. Uh-oh, Rayban done screwed up. Let's see, they obviously saw me miss the turn, and it's a long ways back on traffic-heavy road. Do I turn around and try to catch up, or do I simply call it a good-enough day and head for home?

3. Neither. I set the GPS to due west, then take the 101 south along the coast on the way eventually home, wishing the rest of the guys well in my mind and enjoying the time I *did* get to ride with them up until my stop/picture/miss fiasco.

4. Pictures - I won't caption the pics as you probably know all the folks by now and my pics kinda suck compared to the others, but here they are... (NOTE: original HIGHER resolution/size/quality copies of these pics are available upon request.)

a. The morning gathering...

morning1.jpg

morning2.jpg

morning3.jpg

morning4.jpg

morning5.jpg

morning6-tenbikes.jpg

b. First stop to let folks catch up...(traffic was problematic at times)

BarbarusRaban.jpg

(what a porker, it's Rayban)...

rayban2.jpg

Fairlaner.jpg

c. The rear pack arrives...

StopStragglers.jpg

Stragglers2.jpg

Stragglers3.jpg

RearGuard.jpg

d. Approaching Big Bear, the traffic builds...

traffic.jpg

nearbigbear.jpg

nearbigbear2.jpg

nearlunch.jpg

e. finally, as we draw near to our lunch stop, Doc tells me what he thinks of our group ride so far...

docthumbsup.jpg

Here is a link to a (short) video of us in Big Bear...

Entering Town

f. After lunch, my video on Rim of the World's beginnings, showing the 3 guys in the rear driving by, the last I would see of them due to my own stupidity later on...wave to the camera, boys...

Rim of the World drive-by

For the record, the videos were taken with a little Canon digital still camera, so don't bag on the junky quality too much, it was a test more than anything.

That's it, unfortunately. I could kick myself for not checking my camera settings more often (lesson learned). Have a great weekend all...and thanks for a wonderful day with friends old and new...

Rayban

Just want to say thanks for a great and thrilling ride with all of you.

Glad I could help out a little. And........ I'm going to get that sidestand

lubed quicktime pronto.

I was hoping that more of you hit that turnoff to Lake Gregory

and Crestline for there was some real twistin' going on there. :yahoo:

Sorry, now that I didn't hold back for FZRob for gas because we

could have hit that section unrestricted. Some serious tossin' the old

FJR around for awhile. No straight lines just switchin' and twitchin'.

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to return that trial roller ball seat pad.....was

it Jim's (Indian Scout) or DocDanDC's? Let me know how to get it

back to you. It worked great. Post or PM me..........

WW'sFJR

Larry

Thanks for the ride report! I was 'on-the-fence' about attending all week. Opted to stay home and tend to domestic duties. The lure of the backyard swimming pool is often stronger than the open road when the thermometer reads 100! Maybe next time. Cooler days are right around the corner.

What a great Ride. Everyone made it home safe. This was my first ride with the Zumo and XM and it really made the ride even better!

Well, it was early in the season. I like Turbo Dave's idea of monthly SoCal gathering. This ride served more the purpose of getting the kinks out. Things I liked about this ride- experienced riders, easy meeting place, good food, good attandance, common destination rather than follow one guy, and we did not get rained on. Things that need improving- sorry about the late route change (once the route is posted, then it will be set. This is not to say that people cannot deviate just that I will not email out two routes), traffic, and traffic.

Too all that missed it- NEXT RIDE WILL PROBABLY BE SEPT. 29TH OR 30TH!!!!!

No worries, and sounds great. One feedback item...one thing I liked about the July Ojai ride was that every place there was a turn off the current road (within reason), we pulled over and gathered everyone before moving on. It was my fault for missing the turn, but physically seeing the whole pack there would have helped my dumb butt.

Thanks again for a GREAT time and for the effort of putting all this together. I know it took time. I have the 29th and 30th both tenatively marked already for this next ride.

I’m glad to see everyone made it home safe.

I want to thank Rayban for requesting this ride, Barbus & WWFJR for the work putting it together. I would also like to thank everyone in attendance for putting up with my sorry ass.

Ray, don’t worry about the missed turn (I hit the siren to try and get your attention), however I want you to know that the 5 of us that went straight to Crestline waited for you about half a mile up the Crestline cutoff road. Not good results on that leg. Five to Lake Gregory, five to Crestline and one to San Berdo.

Guys FYI, I talked to a friend of mine that had flown a World War II P40 to Big Bear Airport for the airshow. He informed me that we left town just before the sky opened up with a heavy hail storm followed by heavy rain. The rain water was running 4 or 5 inches deep on the airport ramp and taxi way.

WWFJR, Just hang onto the seat beads and give them to me at the next ride. I assumed this is the reason you went to Lake Gregory instead of directly to Crestline so you could use them longer. Just kidding.

Looking forward to the next ride.

Jim

IMG_0868.jpg

Here is a picture of the Fearless leader!

th_IMG_0867.jpg

Great Lunch with the guys!

th_IMG_0866.jpg

My FJR at the top of the hill.

We've got to do this again!

I’m glad to see everyone made it home safe.
I want to thank Rayban for requesting this ride, Barbus & WWFJR for the work putting it together. I would also like to thank everyone in attendance for putting up with my sorry ass.

Ray, don’t worry about the missed turn (I hit the siren to try and get your attention), however I want you to know that the 5 of us that went straight to Crestline waited for you about half a mile up the Crestline cutoff road. Not good results on that leg. Five to Lake Gregory, five to Crestline and one to San Berdo.

Guys FYI, I talked to a friend of mine that had flown a World War II P40 to Big Bear Airport for the airshow. He informed me that we left town just before the sky opened up with a heavy hail storm followed by heavy rain. The rain water was running 4 or 5 inches deep on the airport ramp and taxi way.

WWFJR, Just hang onto the seat beads and give them to me at the next ride. I assumed this is the reason you went to Lake Gregory instead of directly to Crestline so you could use them longer. Just kidding.

Looking forward to the next ride.

Jim
Jim,

Them seat beads gives ya' a kind of erotico sort of quarterless sensation.

Now I know why you ride with a smile. It's going to be hard to part with them.

Were can I get my very own?

WW's FJR

Larry

Jim,Them seat beads gives ya' a kind of erotico sort of quarterless sensation.

Now I know why you ride with a smile. It's going to be hard to part with them.

Were can I get my very own?

WW's FJR

Larry
WW'sFJR

BeadRider will size it to your seat. Also looks like it’s the most expensive.

https://www.beadrider.com/shop/

Here is a couple of other companies that sell them.

https://www.digitalprovisions.com/Merchant2..._Code=SEATBEADS

https://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_inf...roducts_id=3128

I’m not sure if any of these are the ones I bought.