EOM 2015 Home Safe Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very sorry to hear about Steve's accident and hope he has a speedy recovery. Arrived back in Beautiful Downtown Bowmanville or as we locals call it Chandler North just before 15:00 Monday.

Got though Toronto before rush hour which was a major bonus.

I was probably the last person to leave the Quality Inn at 11:25 AM. Had rain & drizzle through Va & WV. Finally dried out in MD and had sunny skies and rising temperatures in PA. I was home by 8:15 PM.

Despite not riding on Saturday I had a good time at EOM and thank everyone involved in putting it on. On Friday I did ride in the rain up to Hacker Valley and ate pie at Rella's. Sorry that more people did not make it up there. She needs the business since the diner opened at Holly River State Park.

I rode 3000 miles during my 14 day road trip and for three of those I was not on my motor. I hope I can do it all again next year . . . minus the rain!

Bill (scorpa) and George (cota95) are back in RI after almost 2k miles and many smiles. Thanks everyone (Wayne etc) for another great EOM!

The 'beams made it back to the hovel mid afternoon today (Monday). We did 500 miles on Sunday, rain & drizzle to the PA border then sunny. Pulled in the driveway at 810 miles for the total trip back. On Sunday, approaching Port Jervis we set a speed record -- 1 mile in 1 hour due to construction. It was an unusual trip because it had no scary moments on the roads :) Our FJR returned with all the parts it started with and nothing wore out or broke on the trip! Just like always.

Boy am I confused, my FJR odometer says we went a total of 1803 miles while my Zumo 550 says we went 1794 miles. Man, that's an entire .4% off (less than 1/2 a percent). If I knew we went so many fewer miles I wouldn't have felt so tired ;)

Sorry to miss everyone at breakfast Sunday.

I slept late and when I looked at the weather radar I scrambled to pack the bike and hit the highway before the storm.

I rolled out around 0700

219 all the way to some great roads in PA.

I didn't see any rain this whole trip except for half an hour at the end of Thursday ride with AllenC and VMaxChuck. Had a great time watching those two ride and AllenC is good at waiting for me to catch up!

3399 miles for my nine day EOM adventure

Jim (aka ZOOOMM AGAIN) and I are now home.

We left the hotel Sunday morning @ 7:45am. We were rushing to get ahead of the rain. We ran into tons of fog through northern WV and PA as we headed north. We stopped in Lock Haven PA and ate dinner at the Hangar 9 (thanks KJ for the suggestion). Simple place, but Great meal.

That was was 397 miles yesterday. Today was 337 miles to complete the trip home (to Cohoes, NY). No rain today :)

This was a really fun trip in spite of the rain. We got to spend some quality time with old acquaintances and made friends with some new folks.

Thanks Wayne for heading this off and thanks to all the people who put forth so much effort to support this event.

Again we are sending good vibes and wishes to Steve for a speedy recovery.

I made it home back to eastern Long Island at around 1:00 this afternoon after chasing Cota and Scorpa for the last 6 days. Very sorry to hear about Steve's mishap and wish him a quick recovery and a life back to normal. I want to thank Wayne and his magic elves for putting on another extremely memorable event and want to especially thank everyone in the FJR commmunity for their gracious and generous support of our non profit "Jordan's Initiative". My apologies for not being able to clearly express my gratitude at the event....I'm choking up just thinking about everyone's kindness.

Got home last night along with Paul (Thingfish) and Tommy (Yamaha42day). We had planned an extra day to get home so Tommy and I went out again today and visited some local roads. Overall, another great EOM. Many thanks to Wayne and all the rest of the people who made it happen.

We slept in a bit Sunday and missed saying goodbye to many of you, but we did get out for another day of riding. We made it about two-thirds through the New River Gorge loop before we had to head back to the hotel to change the CCT in my bike. Thankfully it's just a 10 minute job, Warchild left a great how-to behind on the Blackbird forum years ago, and since it's a routine maintenance item, I carry a spare.

We were the very last ones out of the QI this morning. We pulled out at 10 am after being joined at breakfast by the two daughters of the woman with the tour group who went out of the hotel in an ambulance on Thursday evening. She's still in ICU with pneumonia and her daughters flew down last night from NY to be with her. They're hoping to bring her home later this week.

Just as we were doing a last sweep of the room, the sky opened up... again. We hopped on 64 west to Beckley then picked up 21 south all the way to Charlotte SC. We hit a few brief showers along the way, but for the most part we had dry roads and partly sunny skies. We arrived at our friend's house just after 4 pm and we'll be here for a few days before heading home by late Saturday if all goes well.

It was our first EOM and we had a great time! If we can swing it, we'll definitely be back. Thanks to Wayne and all who made the weekend possible!

My attempt at dodging the rain Sunday utterly failed. We managed to stop getting rained on around Hungry Mother state park. Took a ride up half the Back of the Dragon, took VA 42 and other roads over to TN / VA 70, then bedded in Knoxville. Monday we headed for the Devil's Triangle -- the only named motorcycle route in the GA / SC / NC / TN / VA region I'd never been on. We were warned away from that route during the 2009 EOM but pretty much all of TN 119 has been recently repaved, crews are out there now fixing the few places that still need it, and there is no active mining or logging. It was a great piece of road in fantastic condition.

Then we headed for the Dragon to pick up Devil's Triangle stickers for the bikes. Moonshiner to Franklin, NC, where I noticed my rear tire showing quite a bit of belt. Too late for any shops to be open. I hunted down the cell phone number for the owner of a nearby shop and he told me that he had no tires close to FJR size. Sigh. I've had a bad time trying to get a tire in western NC before and with the forecast for Tuesday absolutely sucking I figure my best shot is to keep going and try my best not to die.

White knuckled it the last 120 miles home on mostly wet roads. Did not die. 1,745 miles total.

My thanks to Wayne, Gerald, Brenda, my wife, and everyone else who helped put this weekend together. Can't wait for my fourth EOM!

Line and I rolled in last night around 10pm after driving straight through.

Pics and story to follow.

We got home last night about 7-ish......a sick pet has kept us busy since then and I am just now getting to post up. Thank goodness Sam is doing better and hopefully will be 100% soon. Looking forward to next year!

I would have been home already but, my front wheel bearings disintegrated on me and started bucking like a bronco on I95 at the GA/FL border. I managed to baby it to a gas station right on that corner. As I was on a call to AAA for a tow, I noticed that there was a motorcycle dealership across the street. I walked in and told them what happened to me. They proceeded to order the bearings that will arrive and be installed tomorrow morning. I couldn't believe the luck. This could've been a nightmare.

Then, there was a motel, liquor store and a Sonny's Rib place within feet of me. How cool was that?! I ran out of liquor at the EOM. Can't understand why,.... ...cough,...cough... Rob and Marie... cough... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
...my front wheel bearings disintegrated...the bearings that will arrive and be installed tomorrow morning...I ran out of liquor at the EOM...
While the wheel bearing issue isn't settled correctly yet let me offer a preemptive CONGRATULATIONS on having superior luck right on the heels of inferior luck. Unlike the weather
wink.png
Now, not packing enough booze for an EOM is a rookie mistake, you couldn't know in advance how much liquor it actually takes to get through an EOM. Under packing is common
laugh.png
Also, be sure to include an extra stogie or two too
umm.gif

Pleased to meet ya and talk with the man behind the majic!

...my front wheel bearings disintegrated...the bearings that will arrive and be installed tomorrow morning...I ran out of liquor at the EOM...
While the wheel bearing issue isn't settled correctly yet let me offer a preemptive CONGRATULATIONS on having superior luck right on the heels of inferior luck. Unlike the weather ;) Now, not packing enough booze for an EOM is a rookie mistake, you couldn't know in advance how much liquor it actually takes to get through an EOM. Under packing is common :lol: Also, be sure to include an extra stogie or two too :umm:

Pleased to meet ya and talk with the man behind the majic!
Same here, ionbeam. It was a pleasure meeting you. I've been a fan of yours since forever. I shall Never make that rookie mistake again! Having to walk across the street to resupply was 5 minutes of my life I'll Never get back! :D

I'm glad those straps worked well for you! And somebody was telling me "you don't need to take those straps- what would you need them for?" For this exact reason!!! FOR TIRES!!! Just carry them with you, pass them on, and help out a fellow biker. That's all I ask. Pay it forward. :)

Count on it! Once they dry all the way out, they're getting banded up and put in the tail section for that eventuality.

I would have been home already but, my front wheel bearings disintegrated on me and started bucking like a bronco on I95 at the GA/FL border. I managed to baby it to a gas station right on that corner. As I was on a call to AAA for a tow, I noticed that there was a motorcycle dealership across the street. I walked in and told them what happened to me. They proceeded to order the bearings that will arrive and be installed tomorrow morning. I couldn't believe the luck. This could've been a nightmare.
Then, there was a motel, liquor store and a Sonny's Rib place within feet of me. How cool was that?! I ran out of liquor at the EOM. Can't understand why,.... ...cough,...cough... Rob and Marie... cough...
smile.png
ouch! Glad to hear it's working out though! How many miles have you got on your ride?