EOM

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
Gonna make reservations today for EOM and thought this might be a topic for discussion. I'm gonna ride Maxine to Boone and Lorie is going to follow me in the car. If any significant others would like to ride with Lorie that would be fine with us. I figure this will rescue Lorie from the mind-numbing 6+ hour ride via uninteresting highways on the way to Boone.

Looking at the map we'll use Rt 81 to start and will go right past Waynesboro, Roanoke, and surrounding areas.

US 11 parallels I-81 if you want to do something other than pound the super slab? Also the Blue Ridge Parkway isn't too far away and is far more interesting.

Jim

Also,

I-81 is heavily patroled in VA, witha 55mph speedlimit the whole way. Not a fun road by any means. I highly suggest adding a coulple hours and working over to the BRP.

excuse me ,, but the speed limit on I81 is 65 in most areas, near Roanoke it drops to 55 then up to 65 south of Salem to the Tenn border ,, I ride it 2 times a week to VA Tech to teach , and a couple of times a month to Wytheville

it's a boring ride ,,

BRP is slower but it will put you very close to Boone ,,

I plan to go down 221 > 58 > 133 > 421

JimLor,,

I'd be happy to meet you along the way & ride in with you !!

maybe we could have several meeting along the way !!!

galxy5 - be a pleasure to ride down with you. We can work out the details in the coming months!

I'd be pretty spent by the time that we rode Shady Valley... straight riding the BORING part of 58.

I would love to but it probably won't happen... I'll take the route that I rode out that way last time. BUMMER! It was a boring/part interstate ride.

Heidi

Heidi,,

we could meet at 58 & BRP (again) ,, then go over to 133 to 421

or come out 60 & go south ,,

I understand you got some miles to cover just to get to a meet spot ,, hopefully some of your peeps from Hampton & Norfolk will come with you !!

anyways ,, we got time to set up ,,

Heidi,,
we could meet at 58 & BRP (again) ,, then go over to 133 to 421

or come out 60 & go south ,,

I understand you got some miles to cover just to get to a meet spot ,, hopefully some of your peeps from Hampton & Norfolk will come with you !!

anyways ,, we got time to set up ,,
58 & the BRP? Where's that? Never been there b4! Ohhhh, the place we played "Find William"? Hahaha!!! Just joking around.

Speaking of William... I wonder where he's been. I haven't heard anything from him in some time.

David, I guess that'd be a possibility. I am hoping that they'll be some people from this area going. There are a few Feejes ova' yonda', too.

I love Shady Valley. That's a place that I'm sure that I'll ride over and over again. Let me talk with the locals & see how they feel & what everyone would like to do.

Hi Heidi:

I'm still around. Still debating about coming down to the EOM. If I do that is the route I'll be coming.Definitely was great ridin with you. You remember the speeding ticket I got ($80.00 I think) and the suspended license ticket ($280 freaking dollars). Later found out when I went to the MD DMV to renew my license that lo and behold it had been suspended for a unpaid ticket the year before. The story gets better.... My son was pulled over for driving without his license on him summer of 2004. When they wrote the ticket up they used the info. from the license plate (my license number, car was registered in my name) and his name to issue the ticket. So in the system it went in as if I were the guilty culprit. (I was in San Fran. at the time). Well I paid the ticket (for my son) and they removed the suspension from my records and put it on his record. Man what a mess.

Hey William,

It's good to see you around. You should come down and play in my backyard this year!

Hi Heidi:I'm still around. Still debating about coming down to the EOM. If I do that is the route I'll be coming.Definitely was great ridin with you. You remember the speeding ticket I got ($80.00 I think) and the suspended license ticket ($280 freaking dollars). Later found out when I went to the MD DMV to renew my license that lo and behold it had been suspended for a unpaid ticket the year before. The story gets better.... My son was pulled over for driving without his license on him summer of 2004. When they wrote the ticket up they used the info. from the license plate (my license number, car was registered in my name) and his name to issue the ticket. So in the system it went in as if I were the guilty culprit. (I was in San Fran. at the time). Well I paid the ticket (for my son) and they removed the suspension from my records and put it on his record. Man what a mess.
Good Lord Man! You've got to be kidding! You went through DMV HELL!

Hell yeah I remember that ticket. It KILLED me to pay mine. That bastige... writing us for 70 in a 55. That's not happening this year (I hope).

I'm not positive what route we'll be taking down this year but you'd be welcome to hook up with us. (actually, I'm hoping it's an "us") We possibly could meet where we were supposed to meet last year. We could ride straight down the BRP, too.

The ride to Boone isn't much further than the stop we made in Mountain City for the night. Boone is probably about 30 miles (probably less than an hour) further... a drop in the bucket after that burn you did on the way home last year, huh?

C'mon down! Hope to see you... and good hearing from you.

Heidi

Hi Heidi,

Cheryl and I are finaly going to get to do our day in Va. Beach. We are going to make a 10 day trip for EOM. Going to Wildwood NJ for Labor Day week end then taking ferry from Cape May over to Ocean City MD for a day. Then off to Va. Beach. Should be there around Wed. the 6th. Then off to Bonne for arrival Thurs. night. What day are you heading out. If you're riding up on thurs. then maybe we could hook up along the way. Or maybe get together Wed. night for dinner.

Tim

Hi Heidi,
Cheryl and I are finaly going to get to do our day in Va. Beach. We are going to make a 10 day trip for EOM. Going to Wildwood NJ for Labor Day week end then taking ferry from Cape May over to Ocean City MD for a day. Then off to Va. Beach. Should be there around Wed. the 6th. Then off to Bonne for arrival Thurs. night. What day are you heading out. If you're riding up on thurs. then maybe we could hook up along the way. Or maybe get together Wed. night for dinner.

Tim
Hey Tim, nice to hear fr/ ya'! So, finally getting to do that trip to the beach, eh? Good for you guys! The ferry is a cool trip... you'll like that. I haven't done it in years personally... but have many times in past days.

As far as riding to EOM... I'm planning on being on the road early Thursday morning & riding straight thru. With stops the trip is plus or minus 7 hours barring no problems. I'd surely love to meet up & ride together. The company is most welcome. Most of the ride out will be straight & boring... but once there... oh yeah baby! This area boasts some really good roads for riding.

There was brief talk of meeting at the intersection of Rte 58 & the Blue Ridge Pkwy & riding thru Shady Valley... but haven't heard anything. Also, as fun as this would be it would add quite a few miles to the trip down & as it stands we'll be riding Shady Valley Friday morning, anyway.

Lets keep in touch. As time gets closer we'll make a plan. Oh I forgot to mention... dinner... meeting for dinner on Wednesday night would be cool.

Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
excuse me ,, but the speed limit on I81 is 65 in most areas, near Roanoke it drops to 55 then up to 65 south of Salem to the Tenn border ,, I ride it 2 times a week to VA Tech to teach , and a couple of times a month to Wythevilleit's a boring ride ,,

BRP is slower but it will put you very close to Boone ,,

I plan to go down 221 > 58 > 133 > 421

JimLor,,

I'd be happy to meet you along the way & ride in with you !!

maybe we could have several meeting along the way !!!

I may be up for that! Have to see what the schedule looks like but id like to make it down there.