FJR in bed of 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopB8

Reaction score
In the past I've carried my 04 FJR in the back of a 2006 Ford F150 SuperCrew with no problems. It was very easy and convenient. I've now replaced the 06 for an 11 and the bed is 6" shorter. I have always had the bike loaded straight down the centerline of the truck. In the 06 the rear tire rested just on the tailgate but very close to the hinge. On the 11 it'll be more centered on the tailgate depth.

Has anyone had experience with this? Will the weight of the bike be too great for the center of the gate? Will the bed extender still reach around the back of the rear tire once loaded?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

One of our forum members uses a piece of 3/4" ply which is twice the depth of the tailgate. Covers the tailgate and on into the bed to distribute the load more evenly.

The plywood is a good idea. You definitely have to do something to spread that weight off the tailgate. I think I might run the ply all the way up, under the front wheel.

I snapped one of the tailgate support cables on my F350 carrying too much weight back there. I'm pretty sure the cables are the same for all models.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I bent the tailgate on my 08 ranger with 6 foot bed hauling my sportster for 7 hour trip. There was about 1/2" gap at the bottom of the gate when closed, but hardly noticable. Sportster is about 65 lbs less than FJR. Put a wheel chock on plywood and the 3/4" plywood ran out to the edge of tailgate and FJR hauled just fine with a 4 banger. Also had airbags in rear to help suspension to keep truck level.

Have since replaced ranger with a 4 door F250 with 6 3/4' bed so my new setup does not need to cover the tailgate. I mounted my wheel chock with stainless steel flush tee-nuts so they won't scratch bed. I can pull out the board when in need to haul other stuff.

Internet search of other forums that I found resulted in the tailgate rating of 500 pounds, of course that is unofficial.

One of our forum members uses a piece of 3/4" ply which is twice the depth of the tailgate. Covers the tailgate and on into the bed to distribute the load more evenly.
I'm either not visualizing this correctly or don't see how this would reduce the load on the tailgate. The 3/4" plywood would need to run the full length of the truck bed so the weight of the front wheel helps hold it down, otherwise it would lever up when the gate droops, and in effect you'd just be adding the weight of the wood to the weight of the rear wheel on that tail gate.

But more importantly, what's with all this hauling of FJRs around? :rolleyes:

Are there that many broken bikes needing to be taken in to the shop? :unsure:

In the past I've carried my 04 FJR in the back of a 2006 Ford F150 SuperCrew with no problems. It was very easy and convenient.
What ramp are you using?

I'd like to haul my bike up the I-5 slab to central Cali. Then put my kid on the back and run Hwy 1 in both directions!

Whoa, wait a minute............ For a while there I thought I was surfing the Harley forum. Phew, that was a close one!

I'm either not visualizing this correctly or don't see how this would reduce the load on the tailgate. The 3/4" plywood would need to run the full length of the truck bed so the weight of the front wheel helps hold it down, otherwise it would lever up when the gate droops, and in effect you'd just be adding the weight of the wood to the weight of the rear wheel on that tail gate.
The wheel is resting on the tailgate, but close to the bed. A piece of plywood might help a little.

Something like this would be better (long enough to be under both wheels):

ALUM_C_CHANNEL_AS_147_3000.jpg

It'll cost you about $160, but you could also make a slick dolly out of it to move the bike around in your garage

I know what you mean Fred. I was just writing what I'd previously understood the way it was explained. You know how that goes ? Maybe not :)

The wheel is resting on the tailgate, but close to the bed. A piece of plywood might help a little.

Something like this would be better (long enough to be under both wheels):

ALUM_C_CHANNEL_AS_147_3000.jpg

It'll cost you about $160, but you could also make a slick dolly out of it to move the bike around in your garage
A better idea by far !! Much neater than plywood.