FJR not what is cracked up to be

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to everyone for their opinion and suggestions. I was very frustrated last night when I put the post out there and knew I was going to get some slack. Just to clarify a few things; I love the concept of the FJR; if I did not have this wobble I would not be out here complaining about the bike. To correct the wobble I had with the stock tire replaced and rechecked; I adjusted the suspension to insure it was equal, I have not had the head bearings checked as this should be done this weekend. My real frustration lies in the fact this is a new bike with 6k on it and shouldn't need these adjustments already.
I do want to clarify that I did not ever say the FJR was a POS; just right now my FJR is a POS. I have not had the chance to ride another FJR; when I was messing with the low RPM hesitation I did start and see the same issue with a new FJR but did not take it out for a spin.

Thanks again for all of the responses; I will let everyone know what the dealer says on Saturday.
This thread could have gone a couple of ways. If you use this forum to troubleshoot the issues, you're probably going to figure out what's wrong. The Technical Discussions area would be a good place to go. Some mighty knowledgeable people frequent that area. We have motorcycle mechanics and physicists and stuff :rolleyes:

Or you could use it to slam the FJR and the forum and get dogpiled. Seems like you decided the first tact. In that case, let's roll up the sleeves and check it out.

The next time you bring your bike in (not sure if these things were mentioned), make sure to check the steering stem nut. Those come loose from the factory sometimes and the adjustment is a couple step process.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=131533

What tires are you using?

Now that we know the suspension settings are the same, perhaps one fork has less fluid for some reason?

Measurements. Ask the dealership to measure your frame and make sure it is symetrical. I have heard of one case where a frame had to be swapped under warranty.

Then, of course, all the other recommendations...once the problem is fixed, I bet you love it.

Again, a good throttle body synch and tacki grips should cure the handlebar vibration issue:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=240222

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one that thinks the wobble is just natural to the bike? Mine will do as this guys, it will put itself into a tank slapper if your not careful when decelerating and hands off the bars, but just touch the bars with one finger to steady them and it will quit. I thought I'd read somewhere on this board some handle bar wobble while decelerating from 50 on down was to be expected with this bike? Am I wrong?
No, it is not natural to the bike. There are factors that are involved, most likely the weighted balance of the bike (either suspension related or aero related, vis-a-vis the tail trunks) and if the tire and bearings are not an issue. I've seen and experienced tire induced wobble on my Wing and I can see where that could be an issue for some here, but I have yet to see a claim of faulty or loose bearings on the FJR actually causing the issue.

Again (and in general), being a mass produced machine, the only variable becomes the human one. You. Try messing with the suspenders more - like weighting the front end a bit more and confirm that your bearings are in spec and the tire is good and well balanced.

My 2004 FJR has never had the dreaded de-cel wobble, even with 6400 miles with the original ft tire. I also have an 2004 Goldwing that developed the de-celeration wobble at about 8,000 miles. The cure for that was tapered steering head bearings ("All Balls"). Even with a somewhat cupped original front tire on the wing, the wobble was gone.... Hope this helps...

And don't forget to check the wheel run-out, if all else fails. Anything just the least out of round and you'll feel it. Could be front and/or rear due to factory or operator error. The bike doesn't have that much grunt until the rpms build a little. It will pull cleanly from 1500 but likes it much more above 3,000 and pulls like a turbo Cummins on nitrous at 6,000. Rev it without worrying. It ain't no two-banger cruiser. A throttle body sync was the one thing that improved engine smoothness more than any other for me. I think these are defect and/or adjustment issues, not engineering. Unfortunately, you've got the one of a hundred...

Just because the FJR is a mass-produced machine doesn't mean the only variable is the rider - the tech that I take my Feejer to says that my 06A runs much smoother than another guy's 06A (with similar metrage and type of usage) and he's been working with Yamaha to figure out what the problem is as he hasn't been able to find it despite adjusting everything there is to adjust (including the TBS). Sometimes the factory doesn't quite get it right (would there be a need for a warrantee if it did?), the number of oopsies probably being proportionate to the number of units produced.

I owned an 04 FZ6 and an 86 Radian before my feejer and I have to say that, except for having to replace the chain and sprocket at 60K km and having the stator coil go T-U at 70K km on the Radian, Yamahas have been problem-free. As for the feejer, I don't have any complaints about how it runs mechanically, I'm quite happy that all I've had to do is change the oil/filter and plugs, put in gas, and adjust the tire pressure. I do have some complaint around ergonomics, ie., how I can't put my foot flat on the ground, position of the handlebars, and features, ie., heated grips not standard equipment, no option for OEM cruise control or stereo, etc. But when I spoke to some forum members at a WFO they kindly offered solutions for those complaints - they'd be glad to put me on the rack to stretch my legs and point me in the direction of the nearest BMW or GoldWing dealer :lol:

Hope it works out Heet, although not perfect the FJR is a good machine that has a lot to offer, and there are a tonne of good folk in this forum who'll bend over backward (and maybe some forward but that's an entirely different subject :eek: ) to help you resolve your bike's problems.

I have had my 06 since last July. It now has 16,000 miles, and I am on the third set of tires. The OEM tires were fine. The Dunlops that I put on at 8,000 miles introduced me to the wonderful world of front end wobble. When those tires disappeared, so did the wobble. YMMV

VM

Just because the FJR is a mass-produced machine doesn't mean the only variable is the rider - the tech that I take my Feejer to says that my 06A runs much smoother than another guy's 06A (with similar metrage and type of usage) and he's been working with Yamaha to figure out what the problem is as he hasn't been able to find it despite adjusting everything there is to adjust (including the TBS). Sometimes the factory doesn't quite get it right (would there be a need for a warrantee if it did?), the number of oopsies probably being proportionate to the number of units produced.
The balancers (2) on this bike are tunable, I don't doubt that this is one reason why some feejers are smoother-I have experienced the same thing, and as one more variable in a wide range of them, yet one that is rarely addressed, it cannot be discounted.

18K miles on my '05. I did experience the wobble on the SECOND Avon I put on the front. I've since gone to Diablo Stradas and no more wobble. I'm staying with the Stradas. They took half the balance weights that the Avons did. And I'm in good with my guys at the shop, so I got him to balance the bare wheels first, then wheel and tire. I'm particular about tire pressure, checking it every ride. 40 PSI front, 42 PSI rear without bags or passenger, 42 front/44 rear when rolling heavy.

I crank one more click of pre-load to the Wilber shock with bags OR passenger, and 2 clicks with both bags AND passenger. Seems to work for me. Sure, the FJR ain't the 929 I used to ride, but it's close enough at this stage of my life, and way more comfortable when two-up.

I have noticed I've slowed down quite a bit, but I attribute that to maturity and a tad less corner clearance. The sweepers I'd crank at 110+ mph I've noticed myself only doing 100 on the FJR. OK, maybe 105 every now and then, but not always.

I find mine to be stable as a rock at speed. Maybe a little top-heavy at parking lot speeds, but that just takes a little getting used to. I don't run a top box. And I always park it so I don't have to push it backwards. This is one heavy bitch.

Right now, today, right this minute, I couldn't be happier with a motorcycle. I've got it tweaked out to just the way I want it. Well, maybe some auxillary lighting...hmmm.

I haven't had a single problem with my '05.

Edit: Only complaint so far is that my wife would like a better seat. No biggie, I'll get a custom seat eventually.

My suggestion is to find another FJR owner in your area and swap bikes to see if it the bike it self.
It could a lemon.... Just the bike itself not the model.
That would be me. I'm in Powell...right next door practically. PM me, let me look at with you.

I suspect the steering head and suspension may need to be adjusted. Also surging can be fixed. Have you tried the wally map??

One ride on my 03 and you'll be changing your attitude about the FJR. Nothing comes close!

Heet, I'm really surprised that you don't like your FJR, but then I haven't had the problems you have either. Check up on the lemon laws in your state and see if you can get any satisfaction there. A call to your state's AG should tell you what you want to know.

Could your bike have been wrecked before you bought it, or was yours a new machine?

I'm loving my '07 and am awaiting the Gen III's. Good Luck to you!

i had a bad girlfriend once.ALL GIRLS ARE BAD!

derek
Did your girlfriend have a frontend wobble when you rode her too? :rolleyes:
Probably only on decel
Hmmmm ... I've had that wobble with pretty much all GFs during a ride, but never thought to report it as a defect. The dual balancers up front almost always bounce, though it varies with riding position.

Not sure I'd call it a problem, though.

i had a bad girlfriend once.ALL GIRLS ARE BAD!

derek
Did your girlfriend have a frontend wobble when you rode her too? :rolleyes:
Probably only on decel
Hmmmm ... I've had that wobble with pretty much all GFs during a ride, but never thought to report it as a defect. The dual balancers up front almost always bounce, though it varies with riding position.

Not sure I'd call it a problem, though.
Well... I'm not gonna fix my broke back girlfriend... I love her, surge, wobble and all.. :glare:

Heet, I'm really surprised that you don't like your FJR, but then I haven't had the problems you have either. Check up on the lemon laws in your state and see if you can get any satisfaction there. A call to your state's AG should tell you what you want to know.
Could your bike have been wrecked before you bought it, or was yours a new machine?

I'm loving my '07 and am awaiting the Gen III's. Good Luck to you!

Bought brand new, problem is I bought it in IN and live in OH, what a mess that would be for the lemon law. I unfortunitly just went through that with my wifes car.....I hope not again.

I am hoping they can fix it correctly. I have a lot of good insight so far from some of the posts. I am also meeting with someone who PM me to ride with him tomorrow at lunch who owns an 06.

Your wifes car, now your bike. Sounds like you've got gremlins in you garage. Good luck with your bike. I feel for ya.

I have an 05, with all the go fast goodies, the oem metzler was good until I picked up a screw, and then replaced front and rear with Z6s, by far the best bike I have ever ridden