FJR Riders Wanted. The Torrey Event.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdfrantz

Reaction score
I hope the Moderators will forgive this intrusion.

I want to give you a heads-up about an event posted in our Southwest riding forum.

It's not really a "Southwest event" though it takes place in Utah this Sepetember - It draws Riders from all over the US... and Canada, Mexico, and even Europe. It's THAT special.

Free too.

September Torrey Gathering

Sorry if I've interrupted the flow of your visit to the site.

Dick Frantz

Whoa! BMWs and FJRs and ST1300s on the same excellent twisty roads?? Can world peace be just around the corner?

RD, thanks for the invite. Many of those folks from the BMWST.COM board that frequent Torrey were extremely helpful about 3 years ago as I was contemplating my first big bike. The discussion there eventually led me to getting the FJR! Would be nice to ride with some of them now. I think the FJR would acquit itself quite nicely. Capitol Reef

Yambone, that is a truly wonderful group of people, especially the faction that treks to Torrey. I don't recall one chauvinists among them either (BMW owners by not BMW-centric). A majority seem to own multiple bikes, many makes.

The FJR indeed "does well" in that crowd. It, along with the FZR and sport bikes tend to run out front on most of the rides - especially ones I'm leading. But it's also true the K1200RS/GTs run in front of most of the RTs and GSs. But, there are sporty riders on all mounts. And that's our point. RIDE like YOU want to ride -- You're truly free to in empty Utah.

For other reader's: Yambone's picture is of the bridge crossing the Colorado River, at the north end of Lake Powel. It's a place we cross on The Lake Powel Look, a tale of which there is a link to on the Torrey X Web site.

While far southern Utah is dry, and generally rocky (with close access to Monument Valley), the center part of the state is greener. Reaching Torrey along the fabled Utah Rte 12, the road rises through 9,500 feet, and I expect to see the aspens have begun to turn.

Prior to last year, the Fall event was held the first full weekend of October, and then the aspens were fully golden. We moved it to the last full weekend of September to avoid the common snow storms faced by those coming from Washington State, even Northern California, and certainly our Canadian friends.

Hope many of you will join us.

Are reservations necessary or are there rooms 'aplenty'??

Campsites?? I was thru there in April on my way to Bryce, Zion and the Grand Canyon, but don't remember.

If you've never seen Utah's Canyonlands, you're in for a TREAT!! :eek:

Edited: And the answers to all of my questions are here:

Torrey Web Site

Last edited by a moderator: