FJR Spyder connections

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Look what I found on my DL650 Suzuki...

DSC07427.jpg

DSC07424.jpg

...and like the FJR, they are all over the place.

looks like Brodie may have a larger market than originally anticipated. :glare:

It's actually a very neat and tidy solution to needing grounds throughout the harness. Especially these days when all the pieces are pre-made and assembled. I believe Yamaha did a poor job on their maximum current load estimates and is pushing the connections too hard with poor weatherproofing.

I hope Suzuki did a better job of estimating the "wrost case" loads through the circuit!!! :dribble:

Does cleaning and greasing with silicone grease help with the prevention of the ground spyder issues? How many spyders are on the FJR?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 6 spyders in the 2nd Gen. ground circuit. Several forum members have serviced them by extracting, dielectric greasing them and reinstalling the spider, only to be bit several months later by a thermal runaway. I think the best way is to add a second path to battery negative terminal. That will lower the amperage passing through the spyders to a "safe" level. Both roadrunner and I have a product that will do that.

RTSR1/FJR you have a Gen.1 bike according to your side bar. Don't worry about it, Gen. 1s don't have spyders, just marginal ignition switches.

It is rather ironic that the 1st gen bikes are known for the heat issue, but the 2nd Gen. bikes are suffering from MELTDOWN. I thought the heat issues were fixed back in 2006.
dry.gif

YAMAHA ARE YOU LISTENING ?

Brodie

Does cleaning and greasing with silicone grease help with the prevention of the ground spyder issues? How many spyders are on the FJR?

There are 6 spyders in the 2nd Gen. ground circuit. Several forum members have serviced them by extracting, dielectric greasing them and reinstalling the spider, only to be bit several months later by a thermal runaway. I think the best way is to add a second path to battery negative terminal. That will lower the amperage passing through the spyders to a "safe" level. Both roadrunner and I have a product that will do that.

RTSR1/FJR you have a Gen.1 bike according to your side bar. Don't worry about it, Gen. 1s don't have spyders, just marginal ignition switches.

It is rather ironic that the 1st gen bikes are known for the heat issue, but the 2nd Gen. bikes are suffering from MELTDOWN. I thought the heat issues were fixed back in 2006.
dry.gif

YAMAHA ARE YOU LISTENING ?

Brodie

Yeah, I'm aware that my Gen 1 doesn't have the spyder issues. I'm asking on behalf of 2 friends that have Gen II's that will most probably end up in my garage that I'll be sorting out! Just educating myself before hand! lol Thanks!

Brodie, I thought I found an extra couple under the tank...... total 8??

PS - check your front signal light connectors near the lights... betcha they are corroded!

Brodie, I thought I found an extra couple under the tank...... total 8??

Yzerman19

Very observant my friend, indeed there are 8 spiders on the 2nd Gen. FJR. Forum member RZ350 mapped all of them out a while back. The 2 extra spiders you found are servicing the various black boxes on board the bike. They are not directly tied to the battery negative terminal via the bikes ground circuit. Since the voltages are usually closely controlled between these devices I chose to leave them out of the Grounding Harness I make. To my knowlege these 2 spyders have never gone through a thermal runaway, and I don't expect them to.

One of the devices is located next to the fuel connection at the fuel rail on the left side. It has black wires with blue stripe leading to it. The other one is to the right front of the engine bay next to the frame spar - above the radiator. It has black wires with white stripe leading to it.

For those two I advocate extracting the shorting bar (spyder), injecting dielectric grease and re-inserting the spider. Replace the black cap and tuck the nest out of harms way.

PS - check your front signal light connectors near the lights... betcha they are corroded!

Trust me, with my bike in the condition it is, a corroded turn signal wire is not really important to me.
wink.gif

IMG_2035.jpg