FJRF009.2: "Intermittent Ground Wire Connection"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They did not deny it???? I don't think so. They denied it over and over again to me, personally, on the telephone the week prior to the recall. ONE WEEK!!! And I spoke to at least three different techs. They kept telling me that all those guys on the internet are full of BS. Yes, Yamaha certainly denied it.

Blah Blah Blah, Yamaha sucks, etc
Nobody's forcing you to keep your Yamaha...if you're so dissatisfied with the company, sell the bike and get something else.

On the contrary! I love that bike. It is a fantastic design. But just because the people at Yammy decide to be asses, does not mean I should hate the bike or the company. All I ask is that they do the decent thing and admit they made an error and fix it! Is that not a reasonable request? Is that not the honest thing to do???

Took my 08' to cycleshack in Conroe today. Had a very healthy discussion with service guy. He said that all of a sudden he is fielding many calls from owners about the recall. They won't actually have parts till Tuesday. He was willing to do the inspection and a quote on plugs and air filter maintenance, and TBS as well. Hope this will save me some labor $$$. Hopeful as well that I don't have to get the complete harness. He did mention that Yamaha is paying for the inspection and recall, but if a harness is needed the bike stays unbuttoned until part arrives. If I want it in the interrim, then it will be my dime to get it ready for riding. I don't mine being first in line as I don't have any fix installed as I know of.

Paid a visit to the WPB Yamaha Dealer and talked to the Service Manager again. He has a Black FJR in the shop as the first one to get done.

He didn't know that Yamaha hasn't put out any full harnesses yet. He said it actually doesn't matter anyway because the dealership isn't letting him order any full

harnesses due to the fact that they have to pay $300.00 for it and they don't want to pony up the money in advance. They will order them as needed.

Can't blame them for that I guess. I told him we are all watching this like a hawk here at this Forum and when I hear that Yamaha has the full harnesses available

I'll bring mine in. I'm sure that they will be able to overnight them as needed. In the meantime, I will keep riding! :rolleyes:

I made my appointment for the 22nd, dealer didn't know about the recall prior to me calling. The lady was very nice and helpful she said that she would have her service manager look into the recall and parts availability so that I wouldn't be without my bike unnecessarily. Cool thing was is that I mentioned that as long as Yamaha was paying to take the plastic off what else could I have done maintenance wise. She herself used the word 'piggyback' so she totally understood my point of view, I going to have my battery tender lead attached as well as have the valves looked at and potentially adjusted.

I have right around 6K on the clock what other maintenance items should I have looked at? I have installed a K&N so I might take the opportunity to clean it as long as it's easily accessible. I'm sure it's too early for plugs but other things I should have done?

Quickly, your plugs should be replaced at 8k miles per the Owner's Manual but the valves aren't due until 26k miles.

Called dealer on Thursday to see if he had any parts yet. He didn't think he would have them in until next week. I told him I was going for a 3 day trip next week. He was able to expedite deliver of the part. Brought the bike in this morning. Checked out OK. Sub-lead installed and I was on my way. Easy.

Got my recall notice a couple of days ago... since I have two of road runner's grounds in place I'm not in a hurry to get the recall done and I was just going to ignore it until road runner said we should get it done anyway. I guess it doesnt hurt to get it inspected and that additional grounding added. I am, however, going to wait for awhile before I bother getting it done. Maybe right before the end of riding season... like October-ish.

Today I received my safety recall notice for the wiring harness on my 2009 FJR. I personally want to thank the dedicated members of this great forum who put the pressure on Yamaha to step up and do the right thing. I have 28 years of riding under my belt, but I have learned so much more about my bike and all the cool stuff available because of you folks. Thanks again

Today I received my safety recall notice for the wiring harness on my 2009 FJR. I personally want to thank the dedicated members of this great forum who put the pressure on Yamaha to step up and do the right thing. I have 28 years of riding under my belt, but I have learned so much more about my bike and all the cool stuff available because of you folks. Thanks again
AMEN BROTHER!! :clapping:

Stopped by my dealer today with the recall notice. I was impressed that they had a computer printout sitting at the ready with the names of all the people that had purchased a FJR from them. They highlighted my name, verified my phone number, and said they would call me when the parts were in. I then asked that since they were already under the hood, so to speak, how much to put in a set of new plugs and do a throttle body sync. Without batting an eye he says....oh about $500. :blink: No thanks I say, I think I can do it myself.

Stopped by my dealer today with the recall notice. I was impressed that they had a computer printout sitting at the ready with the names of all the people that had purchased a FJR from them. They highlighted my name, verified my phone number, and said they would call me when the parts were in. I then asked that since they were already under the hood, so to speak, how much to put in a set of new plugs and do a throttle body sync. Without batting an eye he says....oh about $500. :blink: No thanks I say, I think I can do it myself.
I'll second that :blink: , actually, I'm not sure that quite cuts it: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

My dealer charged me $260 for a valve check (adjustments would've been more, if needed). That's just a touch more involved than plugs and a TBS. Hell, if you were in Colorado, I'd do it for the price of a tasty adult beverage or two.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ride on down to Toledo, I just got my brand new Morgan Carbtune last week and did the TBS on my bike today...easy peasy.

Has anyone taken in their FJR for the fix and it also has an electronic cruise control installed? I installed the MCCruise on my FJR and don't want to remove it just to get this recall installed.

How do the service techs deal with this type of aftermarket installation? Should I copy the installation manual for the MCCruise and give it to the service tech? Since Yamaha only pays a limited amount of shop labor as part of this recall, asking the service tech to work around my MCCruise will probably cause the service tech to not get reimbursed for all of his labor - not the best way to get great service.

I do all of my own maintenance and really don't want an inexperienced service tech practicing on my FJR. I wish I could install the recalls myself...

I now have three open recalls on my FJR - the ECU, the ignition switch and now the ground wire. I guess I will bite the bullet and get all three done.

I live north of Denver and wonder if any one can suggest a good dealer in Colorado or Wyoming that they would recommend for these three recalls.

Thanks!

I'll second that :blink: , actually, I'm not sure that quite cuts it: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

My dealer charged me $260 for a valve check (adjustments would've been more, if needed). That's just a touch more involved than plugs and a TBS. Hell, if you were in Colorado, I'd do it for the price of a tasty adult beverage or two.
Don't tempt me, I'm really itchin to get out west for a ride.

Ride on down to Toledo, I just got my brand new Morgan Carbtune last week and did the TBS on my bike today...easy peasy.
Thanks for the offer, I know it's an easy job, did it so many times on my GS1000 I could almost do it in my sleep. That's what got me about the dealers price quote, $500 to turn 3 screws and put in 4 plugs, what a deal.

Colorado FJR,

Colorado Power Sports in Northglenn has some excellent techs working there. They did all my recalls and had all the highest Yamaha ratings. I bought my bike there and they were always very careful when they had it in the shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of being cut off at the knees for being an ignorant FNG (LOL). Where are the "S" references coming from in this thread? I do not see components referenced in the official Yamaha Maintenance Manual schematics with the S2, S4 etc nomenclature?

Thank you.

Jet
S = Spider, as in Spider #4, the main problem child.

It's an off-shoot of the forum calling the grounding busses "Spiders".
Probably wasn't specific enough with the question, I kinda figured it was forum-speak. What I was looking for is the general location of the spiders so I could check them also as the bike is tore apart for valve check etc. I have found the location of S4 of course and also another spider further aft on the left side just inside the frame rail. Just wanted to put a face to the name as it were.

Thank you.

Jet

Latest posts