FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first time following closely. Do they really stand by their bikes for almost 3 hours before the start?
That said, there is a critical period about an hour, half-hour or so before the start that you do have to be standing by your bike to get your odometer read and they use it as a final roll call of riders.
A follow-up on this point: Seems two riders (Warchild texted me) weren't by their bikes in the critical time window for odo check and I watched the tail-end of the launch video. Warchild could be seen enthusiastically waving the third-to-the-last rider out of the parking lot...and then very deliberately taking a slow strolldown the parking lot to the two riders waiting patiently on their bikes. You could see him give a look only a former naval commander from an aircraft carrier could possibly give, cross his arms in an obviously displeased way, and then give a cursory wave as if it say, "Yeah, you two can now go play now."

Their transgression probably meant they were out of the start a whole five minutes later than they could have been. A far less serious infraction in the scheme of 11 days than on real aircraft carriers.

Another of my favorite pictures. Head of this whole endeavor is a women that worries every single minute...until the last rider is safe and sound back at the finish line.

IMG_4139.jpg

The GT750 positively glowed in the morning sunlight.

He's got that lovely orange bike - then he chooses to wear a red Stich.
uhoh.gif

Well, it never has been a poser event I guess.

Yup, all in the parking lot of "The Worlds largest Booming Prairie Chicken", whatever that is.

Wow! All these pics! All this info! Such fun for the next 11 days for us onlookers.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this insanity called IBR 2017.

From a truly appreciative fan.

See y'all in Allen!

Looking at the field would you think there are some big bonus points to capture? So far it doesn't look it. No lone wolfs yet heading off for the impossible.

JMO,

Dave

Looking at the field would you think there are some big bonus points to capture? So far it doesn't look it. No lone wolfs yet heading off for the impossible.
JMO,

Dave
I'm pretty sure this rally is not set up exactly that way, with single, large point bonuses. Remember the line about strings.

I'm pretty sure this rally is not set up exactly that way, with single, large point bonuses. Remember the line about strings.
I would guess the same. Having participated in a Jeff Earls rally puzzle...I found he's creates puzzles that reward those that grind through things with consistent effort, don't usually have big obvious point honeypots, but if you can string together a few quality threads...you'll distinguish yourself from the field over time.

I think I may have figured out another bonus. Red-tailed hawk nest exhibit at Fort Sheridan Forest Preserve

markets_ft.sheridan_small_04.jpg

I would guess the same. Having participated in a Jeff Earls rally puzzle...I found he's creates puzzles that reward those that grind through things with consistent effort, don't usually have big obvious point honeypots, but if you can string together a few quality threads...you'll distinguish yourself from the field over time.

I think I may have figured out another bonus. Red-tailed hawk nest exhibit at Fort Sheridan Forest Preserve
Yes, as I understand it, almost everything is based on combo bonuses, but what differs from most rallies, where each piece of the combo is worth some number of points, and then you also get the combo points, the individual bonuses iin this IBR are worth virtually nothing (like, one point each - literally). Only the "string" of bonuses gets you the points. So heaven forbid you miss one piece...

Based on the report, the thought was this will reduce reliance on programs like EZ Bake, which are set up to flesh out routes based on single large bonus values.

See if the group headed W from Watertown, SD is headed to Huron, SD for the World's Largest Pheasant. I have photo, but do not know how to attach.

JEF

Cincinnati, OH

And we have a rider in Canada!

With 6 more on his tail.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are coming here....yes I know they are!!

P1000766Large.jpg

BUT... how about here? It's just UP a very fun road from the previous one..

P1000778Large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.