For those using Murphs rider peg lowering kits - rear brake and shifter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdclaiborne

2013 Yamaha FJR1300A, 1999 Honda GL1500C Valkyrie
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Just installed Murphs rider peg lowering kit (https://murphskits.com/yamaha/) and realize the kit extends both pegs outward about 2", so now the rear brake pedal (I adjusted a bit downward) and shifter are considerably inward and initially seem a bit awkward, i.e. like I have to angle the front of foot inward for both. What have any of you done to adjust or extend the brake and shifter outward a bit to compensate?

Ok, here's my update and what I've done to resolve the "issue" with Murphs FJR peg lowering kit moving the pegs out approx 1.5" and causing the shifter and rear brake to be considerably "inboard" and having to "pigeon toe" shifter and brake.

Rear brake pedal extender
Bought a used brake pedal on eBay $43 shipped
I used this Rear Brake Lever Extender
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805779527868.html $13 shipped
Had to use a dremel and enlarge space for OEM pedal (opening needed to be longer). Could have cut the eBay OEM pedal off about 1/4", but decided not to adulterate.
Gives you only about .6", but it helps and was an easy and visually aesthetic mod and easily undone.

Shifter extension
Bought a used shifter on eBay $19 shipped
Cut the toe shifter rod off with a grinder cutoff wheel flush with shifter arm
Used 1/4" drill bit (17/64" is recommended for 8mm tap) to drill out toe shifter rod
Tapped toe shifter rod hole with 8mm tap using $22 Harbor Freight Carbon Steel Tap and Die Set
For now, threaded a hex head 70x8mm bolt and used 2 nyloc nuts, one on each side, to secure 8mm bolt toe shifter. Will look for 70x8mm stainless button head allen bolt
Used these 2 toe shifter rubber covers $7 shipped.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQVSZ427?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details.
Cut both so ribbed pattern matched and they covered the length needed. You can't tell it's not 1 piece.
Note: The new rubber toe piece looks like a smaller diameter in the pic due to it being held lower than OEM. It is almost identical diameter.

I had the brake pedal extension done about 1-2 weeks ago and tested. Very happy with the results of this low cost and simple solution. I swapped the original shifter with the new extended one and went for a short 25 mile ride yesterday and it was VERY MUCH WELL WORTH the work.

Parts
Total cost for both brake and shifter parts, $82
Tools
Harbor Freight Carbon Steel Tap and Die Set $22 (I've had this as well as an SAE/US set for several years and they have more than paid for itself on several projects)
Amazon Mini Rotary Drill Press $60 shipped (always like buying tools that I could have used before and will be useful in the future). When drilling out the original toe peg rod, I wanted to make sure the hole to be tapped was square/perpendicular.

Attachments

• IMG_4274.JPG
    IMG_4274.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4275.JPG
    IMG_4275.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4277.JPG
    IMG_4277.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4278.JPG
    IMG_4278.JPG