Front Shimmy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsitalon1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

No biggie or anything. But my new 05 with 1650 miles develops a handlebar shimmy around 40-45 mph. Not real bad... just annoying. I really notice it now that I have CC.

Would this be a tire/suspension, or air pressure issue.

Tires=bridgestones

ap =40 psi

susp=how it was set up from D&H

James

you may need the stem bearings tightened.

put bike on center stand. get weight off front wheel. grab front wheel and see if there is any forward backward movement in it. Also use handlebars and do the same.

Last edited:
I have the same issue...after spending the entire day at my local shop watching/ assisting in the remove/ replace of all front end components (one at a time) I still have the problem. It seems to get a LITTLE better when I don't have any luggage on the back and have the suspension set to "Hard" and with 42 rear / 40 front. It's not going away it seems. I was told by the owner of an 03 FJR (while in West Yellowstone, MT) named Dave that the FJR rear suspension sucks and upgrading might help my front end wobble. Don't know what to say to that.

It could be one of many things. This is fairly common with motorcycles. No hands on the bars, and decelerating through 50-40mph can initiate a front tire shake/shimmy.

It could be your tires - some brands do it worse than others. It could be your tires are worn - cupped tires are more likely to suffer this phenomena. Tire pressure is a possibility too. (The higher the better IMHO) Loose head bearings are another big culprit, especially on the fjr. Worn, or improperly set suspension can do it too. Alterations in suspension geometry will have in impact (Raising or lowering bike).

Or, it can be just the right combination of several of the above factors. Worse thing is, you can check everything above, and sometimes it just will not go away. However, usually, installing a new front tire will eliminate it. Usually.

Greg

The effect is why many sportbikes have steering dampers. Basically the same as the damper part of a shock, it provides a slight resistence to rotating the bars. They are usually adjustable so you can eliminate the shimmy with greatly effecting your required steering input. I don't know if any are available for the FJR, I've not seen any.

It happens when I'm on steady throttle (cruise control 45mph) and decelerating.

James

Well, that would explain it then. The bike is confused. As am I. I feel a wobble coming on now... :p

I would look at proper tire balance (do you trust your local stealer to do it right) and then tire. Many tire are not round and in some cases that cannot be balanced out. In that case, the shimmy would occur at a specific speed or a very narrow range of speeds. You may have to replace your front tire. Are you using one of the OEM tires?

I would look at proper tire balance (do you trust your local stealer to do it right) and then tire. Many tire are not round and in some cases that cannot be balanced out. In that case, the shimmy would occur at a specific speed or a very narrow range of speeds. You may have to replace your front tire. Are you using one of the OEM tires?
Yes I am using the Oem Bridgestone tires. They have 1700 miles on them, as does the bike.

Excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea how to balance my wheel/tire. I can build motor's and trannies but have almost no experience in the Bike maintenance world. Do I need a balancing machine?

James

Excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea how to balance my wheel/tire. I can build motor's and trannies but have almost no experience in the Bike maintenance world. Do I need a balancing machine?
You can static ballance them.

Basically pull the wheel, put it on a stand so you can spin it with very low resistance, and you spin it and mark the bottom. if it stops at random spots its ballanced, if it stops with one place allways on the bottom that is a heavy spot and the spot 180 degrees from it needs weight.

If your wheel bearings are really set up loose and well greased, you can sometimes get by by rigging up a stand that just holds the front axle and allows the wheel to rotate to the heavy spot against wheel bearing friction. Some folks put the axle on a knife edge stand which allows the axle to rotate with low friction.

But these are hacks at best and will only catch stuff that is grossly out of balance. To do a first-rate job, you need a balancing stand with its own bearings, axle, and cones that snug up against the wheel hub. They're commonly available on the net for $100-$150. There are also plans on the net to build your own.

If any of your bikes have single-sided swingarms (BMWs, VFRs) then things get more complicated as you have to buy a custom adapter of some sort.

- Mark