Fuel Cut Eliminators, ECU reflash for FI issues/Throttle Snatch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaYzerman19

Go Wings!
Reaction score
It was raised in another thread there was an ECU reflash available to apply some fixes to various issues. One such company is ECUunleashed who seems to have a dealer network, and another potential is Ivan's Performance. My specific interest is in eliminating the throttle snatch caused by the fuel injection cutoff when you roll off, and the cut-in when you reapply throttle, particularly annoying in the middle of that nice twisty turn you're in the middle of. So I am now intrigued to discover this ECU reflash idea, or if there is a fuel cutoff eliminator. I am not particularly interested in all the mod items they list, and would like to preserve or minimize the penalty to fuel economy.

Many also have attempted to fix various FI issues by remapping with a PC3 or PC5, Barbarian mods and such. I'm also wondering if anyone has a PC map suggestion to fix/partially fix the cutoff issue. There was an interesting map posted up that added +25 at the zero throttle position (albeit at higher rpms than I was expecting)..... wondering if that had a positive effect, or if anyone has experimented with mapping at zero-low throttle positions. See post #11..... https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/155092-looking-for-pciii-maps/

ECUunleashed site - https://ecunleashed.com/

Ivan's Performance site and info from the FCE page (and copied below) - https://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fce.htm

Ivan's has an FCE for the Honda ST but nothing listed for the FJR. I'll have to give them a call.

Also wondering what all this costs....... anybody done an ECU reflash??

Appreciate if some knowledgeable individuals can post up some insights............

What is"fuel cut" ??

(Fuel Cut is a federal emissions regulation requirement for all EFI vehicles sold in the USA since 1980...... NO VEHICLES ARE EXEMPT !! ) "Fuel cut" happens when you close the throttle anytime above a preset rpm, in other words the injectors will stop.....
On the FZ-1 it is anything above 4500 rpm
ST1300 is 2500 rpm
Z1000 is 3600 rpm Upon re-application of the throttle, there is a delay before the system will start back up and re-wet the intake tract and combustion chamber..... the rider feels this as a delay and jerky response from closed throttle.... especially while leaned over in a turn or trying to manuver the bike at low speeds.
This can also be heard with an aftermarket exhaust as a loud pop/bang/flame when the injectors come back on Under these conditions, throttle response is much less than precise. I have designed the FCEtm for these bikes, and as a result there is a very marked difference as to how much better these bikes respond and behave under any riding condition.... Using this product, this bike is transformed to a perfectly smooth and predictable ride under any riding condition, and the rider can pay more attention to where he/she is going rather than how carerfully the unpredictable throttle is re-applied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray

I had a PCIII on my '07. This one was installed by the previous owner and the work was done by a reputable dyno shop. After a year of dealing with pretty good performance but awful fuel mileage, I removed the PCIII. MAYBE a little less high RPM response and a LITTLE snatchier at low RPM but, overall, I have not been tempted to put it back. It sounds like some ECU reprogramming is a better solution than the PC route. If only dealing with the FI cutoff, it could improve drivability without having too much affect on economy or other factors. I don't really care to boost RPM limiters or to squeeze out a couple of additional HP - good enough as it is!

Hope to see some good responses to this thread.

I am curious as to what exactly the ECUunleashed "flash" is supposed to do. I have always wondered if the FJR is not restricted a bit in the lower gears.

Regarding the snatchy On/Off throttle: It has been said many times but I will say it again. The PC-V purchased from FuelMoto with their smoothness map installed did a fantastic job of eliminating that Off/On jerk. Dad's '07 was terrible in stock trim. It is now creamy smooth. We sacrificed less than 2 mpg so the trade off was well worth it. YMMV

I am curious as to what exactly the ECUunleashed "flash" is supposed to do. I have always wondered if the FJR is not restricted a bit in the lower gears.
Regarding the snatchy On/Off throttle: It has been said many times but I will say it again. The PC-V purchased from FuelMoto with their smoothness map installed did a fantastic job of eliminating that Off/On jerk. Dad's '07 was terrible in stock trim. It is now creamy smooth. We sacrificed less than 2 mpg so the trade off was well worth it. YMMV
I have a FuelMoto map also, but it hasn't eliminated the Off/On jerk...... not sure if we have the same one, but I'd be interested to see your map to see what they did. Can you post up a photo? Thanks.

I use flash-tune.com for a track only 06 R6. It provides a lot of flexibility. Not really applicable to the FJR, but they have (I installed it) a quick shifter that their flash then doesn't require any additional parts. i.e. Power Commander, extra modules, etc...

If a vendor provided an easy path to flash the FJR without sacrificing mileage, I'd do it.

I'm interested in what you can come up with for an FCE for the FJR, Ray. Yes, the Power Commander can soften the off to on throttle jerkiness, but it does it in a somewhat barbaric fashion by over-fueling in the low throttle position cells. It can not eliminate the Fuel Cut, and therefore it is not as smooth as it could be.

I think that people have just gotten used to Fuel Injected bikes having that jerky Off to On response. They all have it to varying degrees. Go back and ride a carburetted bike, where the analog fuel delivery is controlled only by air intake speed and throttle position, and you'll be quickly reminded what smooth throttle application can be like.

@Ross - I think that your PC3 was FUBAR. Either that or you had a seriously bad map loaded in it. I've never had any problems with the PC3 on my FJR or the one on my V-strom. Yes, they both use a little more fuel than the overly lean stock fuel mapping, but that is the price of smoothness.

@Ross - I think that your PC3 was FUBAR. Either that or you had a seriously bad map loaded in it. I've never had any problems with the PC3 on my FJR or the one on my V-strom. Yes, they both use a little more fuel than the overly lean stock fuel mapping, but that is the price of smoothness.
Entirely possible that there was a problem with the unit or a previous owner who may have directed the dyno shop to tune for maximum power or something. In any case, I never really investigated it or played with other maps and have been (reasonably) happy with it off the bike. It made close to a 25% difference in fuel usage with the unit/map that I was using. If an ECU reflash is possible (for a reasonable cost) and people report good things, I will give that some thought. I'm not likely to be first in line for an experimental procedure!

Noob here.. I have Ivans FCE on my ST 1300. It works as advertised............ but.........

Sometimes it effects fueling in an adverse way.. You will be rolling down the road and when you give it gas the power is just, well, flat. Not the appropriate output for the given input. You gas it and ...... blah.. The fix?? Not too safe. While rolling down the road, put it in neutral, turn the bike off and then back on.. Or deploy the kickstand engaging the engine cut off. When the bike comes back to life all is well. Does not happen often but it does happen. Ivan has no warranty on the FCE so you are on your own. Does not happen to all bikes. The other safer method is to pull over and turn the bike on and off...

I believe the FCE tricks the ECU to think it's the bike is in warm up mode and give a bit more fuel. For track use only...

What I can tell you is the 2013 FJR I rode two weeks ago in Daytona Beach has the ST beat by a mile. Absolutely soooth ad a babes ass.. My test is to roll on to about 5000/5500 rpm in second gear and slowly roll the throttle back and forth ever so slightly to detect any snatch..... Just like rolling on maintenance throttle in a bend..

FJR is smooth as silk..... I WANT THIS BIKE. Silver is Ok. Red is neat but looks a little anemic for my blood....

That's why I wouldn't be first in line for a reflash if such a thing is even possible for the FJR ECU. Wouldn't want to trade "Good enough" for "Bloody awful". Might be interesting if somebody has a spare ECU to swap out and some spare money to waste spend.

Preliminary update. Heard back from ECUnleashed (couldn't call them, no phone number on the site). The reflash per the website is all of this list..........

ECU Tune File – Performance Reflash :
2005-09Yamaha FJR1300 Mitsubishi-Yamaha

Motorcycle Options and Improvements
Yamaha

* 6-15 % Power Increased
* Remove Factory Throttle Restrictions
* Increased Idle
* Increased Rev Limit
* Remove Speed Limiters
* Reduce Excessive Engine Braking/Improved Deceleration
* Improved Throttle Control & Reaction
* Remove Injector Shut-Off on Deceleration
* Eliminate Factory “Error codes” (ex. exhaust valve, steering damper)
* Improved Fuel Maps
* Improved Ignition Maps
* Remove Closed Loop Routine For Use of AutoTune Air/Fuel Modules
* Velocity Stack Switching Adjustment (Variable Stacks Only)
* Custom Modification Accommodations (Exhaust, tuning, Internal Engine)
* Race Fuel Mapping Accommodations

I don't necessarily want some of those, I'm primarily interested in the fuel cut (injector shut-off on decel), and preserving for the most part the existing fuel economy with my existing PC-V setup, not interested in wrenching every last horsepower out of the bike or eliminating the rev limiter........ will dialog with them some more to see what some of these things mean and if 'milder' reflash is available, etc. Will likely take some time (first email took 10 days). Kinda been busy, so haven't contacted anyone else just yet..... will get to it....

Oh BTW, just to scare off the frugal, the cost to reflash is U$449 + $25 shipping your ECU back to you...... there is also a cost to reflash back to original, should you ever wish to do so.

Also thought that one could find a spare used ECU if one was interested in preserving one original. More cost. ECUnleashed order form also pointed out that us Canadians and Europeans have an ignition immobilizer, meaning I can't just go find a standard US ECU.........

Thanks for doing the research. It is soooo much easier for me to just type insults and rude comments than to actually do the work myself...

If I had not had such wonderful results from the PC-V and the G2 throttle tube this would be done. As it is, Pop has threatened me with physical harm if I do anything else to his bike. He loves the way it works now, creamy smooth, controllable and predictable.

Preliminary update. Heard back from ECUnleashed (couldn't call them, no phone number on the site). The reflash per the website is all of this list..........

ECU Tune File – Performance Reflash :

2005-09Yamaha FJR1300 Mitsubishi-Yamaha

Motorcycle Options and Improvements

Yamaha

* 6-15 % Power Increased

* Remove Factory Throttle Restrictions

* Increased Idle

* Increased Rev Limit

* Remove Speed Limiters

* Reduce Excessive Engine Braking/Improved Deceleration

* Improved Throttle Control & Reaction

* Remove Injector Shut-Off on Deceleration

* Eliminate Factory “Error codes” (ex. exhaust valve, steering damper)

* Improved Fuel Maps

* Improved Ignition Maps

* Remove Closed Loop Routine For Use of AutoTune Air/Fuel Modules

* Velocity Stack Switching Adjustment (Variable Stacks Only)

* Custom Modification Accommodations (Exhaust, tuning, Internal Engine)

* Race Fuel Mapping Accommodations

I don't necessarily want some of those, I'm primarily interested in the fuel cut (injector shut-off on decel), and preserving for the most part the existing fuel economy with my existing PC-V setup, not interested in wrenching every last horsepower out of the bike or eliminating the rev limiter........ will dialog with them some more to see what some of these things mean and if 'milder' reflash is available, etc. Will likely take some time (first email took 10 days). Kinda been busy, so haven't contacted anyone else just yet..... will get to it....

Oh BTW, just to scare off the frugal, the cost to reflash is U$449 + $25 shipping your ECU back to you...... there is also a cost to reflash back to original, should you ever wish to do so.

Also thought that one could find a spare used ECU if one was interested in preserving one original. More cost. ECUnleashed order form also pointed out that us Canadians and Europeans have an ignition immobilizer, meaning I can't just go find a standard US ECU.........

That looks like some sort of a generic list of what they can accomplish, not directly related to the FJR reflash. Some (many) of the itemns on that list don't even apply.

For just shy of $500 I don't see how this reflash would be too awfully desirable.

From what I can see the MAJORITY of those items on that list have nothing at all to do with the FJR 1300. I think it's all BS and salesmanship. Keep your $500. and enjoy the bike!

Has anyone just replaced the cam on the throttle body with one from a 2012? I was thinking that the Yamaha engineers may have finally got it right in the last year of the gen II in 2012.

Interesting idea. I'd like to know the real answer...meanwhile, I'll just say it's not a problem in the superior, faster Gen I.
no.gif

Has anyone just replaced the cam on the throttle body with one from a 2012? I was thinking that the Yamaha engineers may have finally got it right in the last year of the gen II in 2012.
Sigh...

The "fix" is easier to accomplish by installing a G2 Ergonomics Throttle Tamer tube. The throttle cam issue was only two years, '06 and '07.

However, the lean fueling of the Gen2 cannot be "fixed" mechanically. There has to be electronics upgrades/changes for that. It was worse on the '06 and '07 but was still present for all of the Gen2 bikes.

All of which has been covered over and over and over...

However, the lean fueling of the Gen2 cannot be "fixed" mechanically. There has to be electronics upgrades/changes for that. It was worse on the '06 and '07 but was still present for all of the Gen2 bikes.

I am not convinced it was present on all the Gen II bikes. My 09 is smooth as butter. (stock) Others have ridden it and agree. Though I do know that not all FJRs are created equal; even in the same model year. There are variances.

However the '14 FJR is absolutely PERFECT! You should buy one.