fuze block FZ1 ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverdog

Reaction score
anyone use the Fuzeblock FZ1 on a fj ? if so where did you mount it and what do you think of it ? thanks..........

I have one and I like it. I wanted something that would allow me to go back and forth between switched power and constant power depending on what kind of riding I was doing. I wanted to have a constant on connection on my GPS during a rally but would normally like to have it run on the key. With the fuzeblock it is a simple change in the position of the fuse to do that. The fuzeblock is actually the only product I know of that can do that.

I installed it last winter and no problems after 21,000 miles. I installed it under the riders seat.

It does have an amp limit of 10 amps per circuit and 30 amps total for the unit which is smaller than some of the others. I have my heated jacket (my biggest draw at a little over 7 amps) and PIAA 1100X's running through it as well as a bunch of other little farkles and am only using about half of its capacity though.

Another reason I went with Fuzeblock is I know Curt Gran, the owner. He is an LD Rider himself and set out to make the perfect power distribution system for him. He really likes his Farkles (and waffles).

I put one on my FJR. Very nice. As mentioned above it is very flexable. It makes it easy to add stuff later and not have to have a mis-match of fuses and holders. Mine is also under the seat. I like it so much I am getting another for my new 1200GS.

Highly recommended.

DK

I like mine, I also like the switched power and constant power option. I have the GPS on all the time. Every thing else switched.

DSCN1046.jpg

Moves easy for getting at tail lights.

DSCN1047.jpg

I like mine, I also like the switched power and constant power option. I have the GPS on all the time. Every thing else switched.

Moves easy for getting at tail lights.
+1 on that bracket! Did you make that/have it done or is it available somewhere? I have a FZ1 coming having just bought one on the group buy. I really like this installation...

geez, I had it out this evening and didn't think to shoot a pic

my bike is a Gen I '04

like it alot and for it's small size, it sits in the crevice of the nose just outside of the right windshield arm behind the curved black panel that's infront of the battery. Yep, up in "there" just to the right of the lcd screen.

I have one too. Under the seat....no problems. I liked the design of being able to change from powered to switched (although I have never changed anything). I also liked the the easy install.

Got one; love it. I don't have a pic of where I mounted it but I used of of Panman's photos to illustrate. It fits like it was meant to be there. There's even "cutouts" on the left and right side that allow the accessory wires to exit out the sides of the Fuzeblock...

DSCN1046.jpg

ready to hook up fuzeblock, under the seat is there a reccomended switched wire close to turn on the relay ??

how much fuse do I need to run heated grips ? dual star.

did you run a fuse between batt and fuzeblock ?

thanks much........

ready to hook up fuzeblock, under the seat is there a reccomended switched wire close to turn on the relay ??

thanks much........
I think max for any circuit is 10 amps and total max of fuzeblock is 30 amps

I have an inline 30 amp fuse between the fuzeblock and the battery

Walter Fooshee, paging WFooshee, please pick up the white courtesy phone...

:yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo:

thanks much........
I tied into the taillight. I'm not at home or I could tell you what color that one is.

To figure out what size fuse you need to know how much power the acc requires. I'm not familar with the Dual Star setup. If you installed it yourself, check the paperwork that came with it. It should tell you the power requirements. The fuzeblock website has a lot of good info on how to install it and things to look out for, read though everything on that site before you do anything. The formula Watts = Volts * Amps will be handy. For voltage I usually use 13 as when the bike is running at speed you'll be between 13 and 14 Volts.

You MUST put a fuse between the battery and the fuzeblock. It needs to be located as close as possible to the battery. I put one of these as the 1st thing coming off the positive post of the battery.

EDIT: This post originally said to tap into the brake lights for the switched power. That would have not have worked for obvious reasons. I meant to say taillight and have corrected it above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2009, and there is a black and blue wire (about 16-18 gauge) paired together that run along the wire harnes to the rear of the bike. They are on the left side under the seat, left as if you were sitting on the bike. The blue wire is hot with the key on and it's easy to get to to splice into.

I used the extra alligator clip lead that comes with the battery tender, as I hard wired mine and never thought I would need it for soemthing else. It has an in-line fuse set up already on it. Just snip the ends, attach terminals, and you are set.

I finally got my FZ1. It was in my Xmas stocking... well I put it there myself! :D

Although there are things I would have liked to see be done differently, I was highly impressed with the quality of manufacture. I am confident this will serve my needs well.

Can't wait to install it. :D

I used my headlight circuit to activate the relay in my Fuze Block. That way my Heat Trollers stay off until the motor starts and the headlights come on. The desire is to not rob the starter of any amps when you need it to fire the bike.

Just a suggestion.

:)

Brodie

I read up on all the fuse block options, and the Fuzeblock FZ-1 got the nod. I'm sure others are fine, I just picked the FZ-1.

It's installed per the yellow outline in post #10.

I liked the FZ-1's compact layout enough that I put one on my dualsported/plated XR628, which has a 250w rewound stator and runs grip heaters, GPS, aux lighting.... It's a tidy install on a bike without a lot of mounting space.

I used my headlight circuit to activate the relay in my Fuze Block.
My Powerlets go straight to the battery, but the PIAA's and a couple of small-draw things go thru the FZ-1.

I was just struck at what a basically sound idea it was to wire thru the headlight relay when I first read it, and did the same thing.