FZ1 mirrors?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oso

Reaction score
I put the FZ1 mirrors on a previous FJR and they were great. I have a 2008 FJR now that I want to put the FZ1 mirrors on. I ordered a Bikemaster supposed OEM copy off Ebay and the threaded studs aren't nearly long enough. About 2 threads penetrate the fairing. I don't remember that problem from my older bike. Can anyone confirm that the OEM FZ1 mirrors need or don't need a coupler of some kind to work? I ordered the 2001 - 2005 version.

I'm not sure I can even make a coupler work because of the stock metal sleeve that is in the fairing.

A photo would be nice.

Thanks

Oso,

I am assuming that the mirrors have studs which can not be removed. 

Heat from a propane torch may help; then you can install new "studs" cut to length from Metric or Imperial all-thread rod (as needed).

You could remove those old studs with a hacksaw, and drill the mirrors for countersunk Allen bolts (or your choice of bolts).

You might also consider using blind nuts.  Drill the mirror mount to a slightly larger size if necessary, to just fit the threaded part of the blind nut.  Bend flat or remove the locking pins on the blind nut, and install the blind nut in the mounting hole.  Rotate the blind nut on the mirror stud until the mirror is tight.  "Chase" the nut tight using a small hammer and drive-punch on the outside edges of the nut. Blind nuts are steel, and very strong.  When the mirror is secure, use any industrial grade "adhesive for metal," enough to lock the nuts to the inside of the mount.  A good Nuts & Bolts store should have Metric blind nuts.

Nut & Bolts is a separate business heading in the Yellow Pages business phone directory.  Anywho is the for-real Internet Yellow pages (all of the others are wannabes).

https://www.anywho.com

Give a local ZIP code, and Anywho will SORT by distance to the store you want.  Call first, to verify stock.

HTH.

BlindNut.jpg
Blind Nut.

Hi Oso,

I think this thread answer your question.  In short OEM FZ1 mirrors don't need a coupler of some kind to work so I suspect the product from eBay is in a word "short".

I moved my OEM mirrors from my 09 to my 17 this past week.

It looks like I got burned with these. I was looking for plug & play. Live and learn.