FZ1 Oil Filter on FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Rider

Reaction score
Went to Yamaha to purchase oil filter. They seamed confused about which filter to give me. After finally getting a filter the guy behind the counter said something about it being a different number and wanted to make sure it was the right filter. I didn't really give it too much thought. While changing oil today, I realize this is a filter that fits an 06 FZ1 plus many others but doesn't list the FJR. It is the same diameter but is about 1/2" to 3/4" shorter. I went ahead and installed it anyway but when I tightened it, I was unsure if it tightened down as much as it should. I started the bike and let it run for a while but haven't taken it for a ride yet. Isn't leaking so far.

Has anyone used an oil filter for the 06 FZ1? With it being shorter should I change it sooner than normal?

OK. I checked the fiche. The '06 FZ-1 calls for a 5GH-13440-20-00 and the 2013 Gen III calls for the same filter. It's a bit shorter, but it's what's called for on the Gen III. if that's the filter you got, you'll be fine.

The Gen II calls for a 5JW-13440-00-00, but I've used both on my 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you crazy? ... just kidding. If it seats properly , well why not. I buy mine at Canadian Tire here in Canada. They are listed as a Nissan filter I believe. Iv'e been doing it for about 140000 kms now. never had an issue.

I'm sure someone will be along waving their arms in the air. DANGER DANGER ......

Are you crazy? ... just kidding. If it seats properly , well why not. I buy mine at Canadian Tire here in Canada. They are listed as a Nissan filter I believe. Iv'e been doing it for about 140000 kms now. never had an issue.
I'm sure someone will be along waving their arms in the air. DANGER DANGER ......
I didn't realize Will Robinson was on the forum.
wink.png

The number on the filter box is 5GH-13440-50-00. There is a number on the filter itself but since it's on the bike I can't see the whole thing.

I use the same filter on my FZ1, my FJR and my Acura TSX, my dream is to get a Acura MDX or Honda Pilot to replace my Suburban and then one oil filter could do everything! But I don't want to give up the interior room or towing capacity.

Do your wallet a favor. Stop buying expensive filters from the MC dealer. Go to your local Wal-Mart and buy Purolator L14610 filters for about $3. They fit fine and are actually a little longer than the OE filter so you get some added filtration.

Do your wallet a favor. Stop buying expensive filters from the MC dealer. Go to your local Wal-Mart and buy Purolator L14610 filters for about $3. They fit fine and are actually a little longer than the OE filter so you get some added filtration.
Son of a gun! Purolator L14610 fits the FJR, my Honda Accord, and the wife's Honda Odyssey. One filter for all! God I love these forums.

If you check a number of other forums for other bikes, you'll find out it fits a lot more than that. Good to know that when I finally switch from VFR to FJR, my oil filter doesn't change.

I've been using the Purolator PureONE PL14610 & PL14612 for years on the FJR. And yes, These filters work on nearly all Yamahas and lots of cars.

Yes, mother shop Yamaha has short changed us on the oil filter, now prescribing the shorter oil filter for all Gens of the FJR. And which also happens to be the same oil filter for most of the Yamaha model line up. My recent order of the original part number brought me the new oil filter with the new 50 part number. Same as it now shows on online parts diagrams.

Yep (P)L14610 or (P)L14612. Used to like when the PL's (Pure Ones) came in matching bass bote blue, now they are a grippy puke yeller.

Fit all FJRs, and '98 VFR800, and even my 2004 DL1000 Vstrom now that I've put the special "Bales" filter adapter on it. The stock threads on the 'strom were odd and required you to by Suzuki's proprietary filters. The adapter was a quick replacement of the center threaded piece, and now it takes the "standard" Purolator filters.

I wish the Aprilia Pegaso took the same filter too, but it has a bare filter media insert, not a spin on cartridge. Oil changes on that bike can get pretty messy.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the owners manual changed the oil weight from 20/40 to 10/40 they were able to shorten up the filter to accommodate the new oil weight
wink.png
Well, that's not logical. 20w40 would be heavier, so it should require less -- thus a shorter filter.
smile.png
I'm not sure there is anything logical to be concluded from that... ;)

All I know is I cheat the oil specs at both ends and use 15W50 (Mo-Bile 1 cah earl). And... I run it 5k per change, and only change the filter every other time.

I'm expecting to die in a fiery ball of death pretty much any moment now.

Latest posts