Garmin 2610 - Reversing Route??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benneyb

Reaction score
I'm suring I'm missing something, but I can't seem to run a route in reverse properly. I keep getting prompted with the Recalculation sub-menu (Fastest Time, Shortest Distance etc.)

I chose the route in the route list, activate it, hit Menu button, Route, Return to Start - this is where I then get the Recalculation menu.

How do I just run the Route in reverse, getting appropriate prompts etc.?

Thanks in advance.

I do it with MapSource,bring up the route and right click on it (Invert Route)

Ed... :blink:

Ed,

Ah, but we don't have Mapsource on the bike. ;) I want to do it "on the road" without having backwards and forwards versions of each route in my GPS.

Is this possible with the 2610?

I chose the route in the route list, activate it, hit Menu button, Route, Return to Start - this is where I then get the Recalculation menu.
There is a setting in the options/menu's do you have this set??

Menu Button -> Select options -> Routing tab

On this tab there is a drop down for "Ask My preferences"

If changing this to no doesn't work, I don't think you can change it

(I think that it should work)

How do I just run the Route in reverse, getting appropriate prompts etc.?
Note: It will not just run a route in reverse, it will recalculate the route backwords based on your waypoints, etc,

What this means is:

If you have a route that takes you on you favorite twisties in one direction, when reversed, it may find a faster rout that doesn't include your favorite twisties.

-bvw.

I agree with everybody.

Having two versions of every route was pretty much exactly what I did for a weeklong ride last year.

I knew I couldnt accurately reverse the routes on the fly (due to the recalculating), so thats what needed to be done. I was doing a very random ride so I didnt know where Id be and which directio of travel. So I named the routes such that each route started with the general direction (N, S, E, W etc..). This way I could more easily find a route that was heading in whichever direction I was going. One thing I wished Id done was bring a paper map with the routes highlighted and named. Figuring out which route was which was not all that easy on the fly.

Valetz/Etz (sounds like a singing group! :D )

Thanks for the feedback - do you guys know if when the 2610 recalculates a route from B to A, does it use the original vias/waypoints that created the route from direction A to B? Or does it recalculate without using those waypoints, based on the recalc settings (Faster Time, etc.)

Don't really want to recreate reversed versions of the routes, but since I'm upgrading to CN V8 from V6, and have to recalc the original routes anyway, this would be the best time to do so.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback - do you guys know if when the 2610 recalculates a route from B to A, does it use the original vias/waypoints that created the route from direction A to B? Or does it recalculate without using those waypoints, based on the recalc settings (Faster Time, etc.)
Yes, it uses those waypoints, but the potential still exists for the GPS to pick diff roads.

(now you can sit down at the computer and add additional waypoints until it reverses the route exactly the same)

-bvw.

Ok a new problem. I actually took the time to replot by "hand" all 14 of my routes. I added via points so that reverse recalcs should give the same route as desired.

When I sent the revised routes to the 2610, they don't seem to be registering. The distances on some of the routes are off from what is in Mapsource, and when trying to activate and simulate some of the routes on the Use Indoors setting, I'm getting a message that routes don't match maps or similar. This after uploading and confirming the V8 maps are in the unit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

bennyb, i have heard that garmin won't let it do a mirror image of a route due to the possibility of routing a driver/rider the wrong way on a one way street, exit, or interchange.

Chanster,

I did some preliminary testing in Mapsource, and if you use enough via's correctly placed, you can get the same A --> B route in the reverse direction. Haven't had time to test it in the GPS yet.

I did hear from the experts on the GPS Passion forum that simply sending the modified routes with the original names won't work. The original routes should be deleted from the GPS and then resent from Mapsource/PC. Off to try that now...

:) Well you could always step back down to a unit for hiking, they do not have voice but will let you navigate back the way you came!

Or turn by turn since they are designed find a straight path to a fro, But at least worse case as it is with what you have it is a mobile electronic map!

you can set way points and corridors, so I guess a person could load a corridor so many miles wide that would keep you intended destination and routes in view.

I am a novice as far as these GPS units are so just toying around with a lowrance i finder expedition, it seems to work fine, load maps on up to a 1 gb card and is capible of playing mp3's. 16 channel. Base Pro shop lets you try them for 90 days so I have 75 days to ensure it is correct for me, then since they hae numerous other units, I can exchange and or just retunr no questions asked. To me that is the best way to test to make sure something will work the way you want with out those restocking fees.

I have only had it a week so far it is nice, from .02-4000 mile view which is from screen side to screen side. it is a little small, but i figure I have already decided where I want to go and this is just so I can reroute or if I see something of interest I can find my way back to where I took a detour.

It does not have a big screen, but if i like it I will step up to a bigger size they are water proof, and do not have a touch or 3d, but the space ship reminds me of Astroids, I have not decided if a bigger unit is neccessary yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you just use a swivel mount and turn the whole unit 180 degrees ? This (and the 1000 bucks) is why my GPS is a dash mounted compass and a road atlas. ;)

$1000 is retail. Anyone with just a little motivation and a little more intelligence can find them for much less. I paid just over $400 for mine when retail was either $699 or $799. The swivel mount, well, no comment.

Once you get used to a GPS, there ain't no going back. It saved me from running out of gas just 2 weekends ago on a trip to upstate NY. B)

Can't you just use a swivel mount and turn the whole unit 180 degrees ? This (and the 1000 bucks) is why my GPS is a dash mounted compass and a road atlas. ;)