Gathering of the Clans - Oct. 9-11, Santa Cruz

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, at least you have paid much of your I-5 dues for this trip, Ray, and you will be on the coast tomorrow.

Don, I have been reading lately about the Santa Susana sodium reactor. In 1959, I was at summer camp and camping out at the base of that hill two weeks after the "controlled release" that was no such thing (I know,it explains a lot). In fact we used to hike up to the Rocketdyne fence line and see if we could get security to chase us. We knew about the engine tests but not about the reactor.... or the meltdown. I mention this only to lead up to saying "Take care, amigo." We'll miss you and Shauna in Santa Cruz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, at least you have paid much of your I-5 dues for this trip, Ray, and you will be on the coast tomorrow.Don, I have been reading lately about the Santa Susana sodium reactor. In 1959, I was at summer camp and camping out at the base of that hill two weeks after the "controlled release" that was no such thing (I know,it explains a lot). In fact we used to hike up to the Rocketdyne fence line and see if we could get security to chase us. We knew about the engine tests but not about the reactor.... or the meltdown. I mention this only to lead up to saying "Take care, amigo." We'll miss you and Shauna in Santa Cruz.
Was only on I-5 for 8 miles. 400+ miles of twisty roads on the spyder makes me hurt. Hope it gets better .

My father was there for the incident at the Santa Susana field labs, he was a control systems engineer. It ended up killing him to early in life

Well, at least you have paid much of your I-5 dues for this trip, Ray, and you will be on the coast tomorrow.

Don, I have been reading lately about the Santa Susana sodium reactor. In 1959, I was at summer camp and camping out at the base of that hill two weeks after the "controlled release" that was no such thing (I know,it explains a lot). In fact we used to hike up to the Rocketdyne fence line and see if we could get security to chase us. We knew about the engine tests but not about the reactor.... or the meltdown. I mention this only to lead up to saying "Take care, amigo." We'll miss you and Shauna in Santa Cruz.
Was only on I-5 for 8 miles. 400+ miles of twisty roads on the spyder makes me hurt. Hope it gets better.
It does get better... the Spyder is a more physical ride especially on a long day of twisties... but the more (s)miles you put on it, the better it gets... plus it helps tone up your legs and arms!! :D

I didn't know about that, Ray, and am truly sorry to learn of you father's involvement. I was at Brandeis every summer from 1958 through 1962.

Meanwhile, thanks to you and Tyler, I keep adding to my Spyder data base (at least "on paper").

Was only on I-5 for 8 miles. 400+ miles of twisty roads on the spyder makes me hurt. Hope it gets better .
Ray, if you want an easy but nice day tomorrow (Friday) try heading south on Hwy 1 to Monterey and visit the Aquarium on Cannery Row... it's very cool. Also, you could head further south on the PCH to Big Sur (about 25-30 miles from Carmel) and stop at the Big Sur River Inn for lunch. There's a great grass area and Adirondack chairs in the stream out back to soak your tootsies in and just relax.
cool.png

EDIT to add: Or if you're just plain pooped out and need a day off the bike, catch a cab/Uber down to the Boardwalk which is only a couple of miles away... not sure if the rides are running during the week but there are some nice little restaurants out at the end of the wharf... and there's always walking around downtown Santa Cruz... fun shops and good people watching. ;)

Leaving SoCal tomorrow morning. Should be in Santa Cruz in time for dinner with a couple of hours to spare.

Made it to Orange last night, taking 101 North for the scenery! Going to stop in Cayucos and Atascadero, to look at the homes I used to live in! JSNS!

Yeah, Richard got into the koolaid and is riding one of them bring more wallet bikes. It's nice looking and the oil seems to be staying in the final drive for now.