Gen 11 fork oil quantity

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckuhns

Reaction score
I am in the process of changinging the fork oil in my 2010 FJR. The factory service manual gives a quantity of 696 cc. I am confused is that for both legs or just one? 996 cc seems like a lot of oil for just one leg. Thanks Carl

Use that as a guideline...... what you need to do is set the oil level in the forks, no springs, extend collapse the fork tube, measure from the top down. FSM says 98 mm I believe (100 will do). So, get 2 litres of fork oil and you will have some left over. If you have aftermarket springs, there may be recommendations from the spring manufacturer. Usually they recommend less oil or an oil level of perhaps 110 or 130 mm. More air in your fork means a bit softer ride or progressive feel as the air compresses when your forks compress.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Carl -- IIRC for a stock fork, the FSM says 92mm (~3-5/8") from the top with the fork collapsed. Make sure to add initial fluid and then stroke the dampening (rod) assembly to get all the air out and then top off. Volume used will vary around 22 - 24 oz per leg depending on how well the forks were flushed and drained. Don't worry about the total volume used, just make sure the oil height is close on both legs.

Good luck!

--G

What the heck was I thinking, I've done many..... collapsed is correct. Must be getting dislexyia in my senile years.

Thanks That confirms what I thought was the correct quantity per each fork leg. I purchased a fork spring kit from Hyperpro and they only sent me one liter of fork oil. Carl

Any idea how to get the springs out of the fork legs? I have the caps removed and the springs seem to be attached to the bottom of the forks. Thanks Carl

Any idea how to get the springs out of the fork legs? I have the caps removed and the springs seem to be attached to the bottom of the forks. Thanks Carl
Nerver mind I figured it out just take the nut off the the thingy rod Regards Carl

...haven't heard it called a "thingy rod" before, but glad you got it figured out Carl!
rolleyes.gif

--G

Latest posts