Gen 2 Touring windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Toro

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Others have commented that they like the Yamaha Touring windshield for the Gen 2 bikes.

I installed one tonight, and my first impression is really very positive.

It looks pretty streamlined, and as though it is a natural fit for the bike.

Sitting next to another Gen 2 with the stock windshield, the difference in look is not really dramatic.

But the height of the Touring windshield looks to me to be about the same in the down position as the stock windshield is in the up position. And when the Touring windshield is raised to the up position, I am looking straight through it. The practical result of this is that, when I go for a ride in temperatures above 60 F around here, I'm not going to have to be cleaning off my face shield all the time anymore. I am also expecting it to be quiet, like the tall windshield that I run on my Rocket III Touring.

So two thumbs up at the moment. My initial impression is quite positive. I'm going to give it a 200 mile workout tomorrow.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one of these after hearing quite a few positive reviews. Delivery is expected today. For the very reasonable price, it's worth at least a shot to see how it performs for me. Riding opportunities may be hard to come by for the next few months so I'll look forward to hearing your impressions!

Well that goes to show how you really can't judge something until you try it for yourself. I had the Yamaha touring shield and I hated it. I know that is a strong word, but that shield annoyed me in so many ways. The air flow was bad no matter where it was, the shield bothered my line of sight for cornering, and at certain speeds it had a whistle. I switched to a Vstream and never looked back. I still have the Vstream on the 07 and I put a Cee Bailey's on the 15.

I certainly don't mean to be negative. I am just trying to point out that these things are so subjective. What works for one may not for others. One of the great things about this forum is you can try something and if it doesn't work out for you there is always someone else that will buy and try!

Oh and..there are so many Corbin haters out there and I am not one of those! I loved my Corbin. Most of the miles (>97K) on my 07 were on the Corbin.

For gen III, at least, the Yamaha Touring screen performs flawlessly year round. I still run a CB in the winter, but the touring screen would be fine year round too.

It's impossible to compare the same model windshield between the 3 different generations FJR's because they all have different designs. And even Gen II have differences such as 06 and 07 bikes having the capability of adding spacers that tip the shield back.

Seems like most Gen II riders have not liked the Yamaha touring shield and went with Rifle, Cee Bailey, Vstream or Cal Sci instead. On the other hand, seems like Gen III owners are liking the OEM touring shield. I haven't actually tried the touring shield on my 07, but love my Vstream for winter use and my stock width +2 high with flip Cee Bailey shield for summer use.

I certainly don't mean to be negative. I am just trying to point out that these things are so subjective. What works for one may not for others. One of the great things about this forum is you can try something and if it doesn't work out for you there is always someone else that will buy and try!
Exactly.

I have been very happy with the Yama Touring shield on my Gen2. Probably 35,000 miles with this shield.That's why there are so many choices out there. If there was one windshield that was perfect for everybody, all the other manufacturers would quit making them.

I am about 6-1 and always ride with seat in upper position.

I had a chance to give it a pretty good test today. Temps were in the mid 40s.

I ran it up to 90 mph out on I-40 for a bit, and I spent a fair amount of time between 60 mph and 80 mph on I-40, and other roads.

I think it offers an excellent value at the $110 price point.

My seating position is such that, when the screen is up all the way, if I sit upright, I am looking over it. But if I take a more natural FJR riding position, I am looking through the top couple of inches.

In comparison to my tall windshield on the Rocket III Touring, I think this one is less good optically, although I've seen worse. This could get tiring on along trip I suppose. The solution for me was to use the windshield drive motor to drop it just a bit, so that I could get the benefit of the wind blocking but also get the benefit of an unobstructed view.

I liked having the adjustability to allow good noise reduction, wind and bug blockage, and line of sight.

I had originally thought that I might like this shield in the down position. Today the air was pretty cold, and you could really feel it at 80+ mph. I was surprised at how much air was funneled directly at me when this shield was down all the way. It might be nice in some weather, but today my preference was to run it near the top.

I installed it without the gasket, and whistling was present at some speeds and in some windscreen positions, but I would not say it was objectionable. I purposely left the ear plugs home so that I could get the full noise experience. I'd have to say that it wasn't bad. At 80 mph in the full up position, it was not noticeable ... but then you have to remember that this may be due to my own personal high frequency hearing deficiencies.

So ... after a good run in what we would consider colder weather (I only saw one other guy out riding today), my impression is still positive. It's not perfect, but it's quite good. I may try others just for fun, but if I were watching the pesos, I could easily be happy with this windshield. I would not be Jonesing for one of the other brands.

Naturally, YMMV.