Gen 3 Air Duct Missing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmann

Reaction score
As listed in the Gen 3 bin of facts the air duct and screws are missing on my Canadian 2014 ES. When I picked up the bike I was assured by the salesman that the saddle bag locks were lock-tited and that the air duct was installed. Neither was done, I asked at the local Yamaha shop and they had no clue about the air duct. No recall. Can not help you....

Sent an email to Yamaha Canada customer service and their response was:

"I've checked in my Yamaha system to see if there is any outstanding recall, bulletins, tech tips or internal reports attributed to this however there is nothing. I even check the part number 5JW-14437-00-00 order history and there is no order that been done since the day the part has been created in our Yamaha Canadian system (Since 2002)"....

It seems that Yamaha is replacing the missing parts in the U.S. What about the poor brothers to the North?

Any other Canadian Gen 3 FJR's missing these parts?

air%20duct%20part%2011_zpsf5icw3tg.jpg

Hope this is legible. Photobucket isn't cooperating today. (OK, photobucket, I'll just post the link: https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/54454ab0f870020ad8f5e006/intake) <---- Source: Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse

Air duct is part #11, at the right-hand end of the column with the air filter.

Do I have one? Don't know. I am not peeling off the fairing to find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note to Gmann. Why don't you forward the link provided by Uncle Hud to the Yamaha Canada folks and tell them to get off their ass and send you the air duct. That part has been on every FJR1300 (three so far) I have ever owned!! As for lock-tite on bag locks, that seems to be a dealer by dealer issue. My dealer said it would be done and it was not. All new and used buyers should check for themselves to ensure it is done.

air%20duct%20part%2011_zpsf5icw3tg.jpg

Hope this is legible. Photobucket isn't cooperating today. (OK, photobucket, I'll just post the link: https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/54454ab0f870020ad8f5e006/intake) <---- Source: Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse

Why not? Its easy to remove. Remove seats and then one screw and you can see if it's there.

This bit:
(Click on image for larger view)

(On my '14.)

Thanks Uncle Hud and Mcatrophy for showing the parts. Was hoping fellow Canadians would have the same issue on the Gen 3's which we could forward to Yamaha Canada. Right now yamaha.ca says there is no issue and will not do anything about it..

My 06 had the duct. My concern is riding on the left coast with all the rain....and buying a new bike without all the parts.....will buy the parts if necessary.

Interesting problem Gmann, first time I've heard of this issue. As mentioned, every FJR I've owned has had all its pieces on delivery short my '15 and the missing shock mud-flap. I made a mud-flap and cured that issue since we occasionally ride in the wet too!

I'd save the aggravation, buy the $12 part and be done with it.

Just my $.02

--G

PS - Checked my '15 and it has the duct plus a very different wiring cover verses my GEN II.

Wlfman posted: Why not? Its easy to remove. Remove seats and then one screw and you can see if it's there.
Oh! I thought I'd have to pull off the fairing. I'm not a talented mechanic, but I can probably take the seats off.
uhoh.gif

I've got a spare (dont' ask) but shipping is probably more than it's worth

Wlfman posted: Why not? Its easy to remove. Remove seats and then one screw and you can see if it's there.
Oh! I thought I'd have to pull off the fairing. I'm not a talented mechanic, but I can probably take the seats off.
uhoh.gif
You say that like it's easy.

Took me ages to work out how the seats were held on when I first got mine home.

Thanks Uncle Hud and Mcatrophy for showing the parts. Was hoping fellow Canadians would have the same issue on the Gen 3's which we could forward to Yamaha Canada. Right now yamaha.ca says there is no issue and will not do anything about it..
My 06 had the duct. My concern is riding on the left coast with all the rain....and buying a new bike without all the parts.....will buy the parts if necessary.
I believe that item is the same for GenII and III bikes. Why don't you check with a local motorcycle salvage shop to see if they have one. It is not something that gets a lot of exposure.

[img=[URL="https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/54454ab0f870020ad8f5e006/intake%5Dhttps://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/54454ab0f870020ad8f5e006/intake"]https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/54454ab0f870020ad8f5e006/intake]https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/54454ab0f870020ad8f5e006/intake[/URL][/url]) <---- Source: Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse

Why not? Its easy to remove. Remove seats and then one screw and you can see if it's there.
Obviously you haven't looked in there yet. It's more than the seats and than one screw. It's the seats and then remove the left side panel. The one that says FJR on it. To remove that you will have to remove three screws. The one in the front that is plainly visible in its rubber grommet, the one inside the grab handle in the back of the panel and the one on top on the frame rail just back of the panel to be removed so you can later-on freely move the panel in the plastic rear fairing. Then you have to remove 4 ( four. Do not over look the snap in on the underside of the panel to be removed) snap in/twist out plastic fasteners. Now you can pull (gently) straight out on the bottom of the loosened panel and free it from the rubber grommet on the frame. Now you must carefully work the panel out from under the plastic tank cover and the rear frame fairing. This takes time and patience. It will come out. And no the plastic fairing will not break if bent carefully to allow the panel to be freed. Use some rags between the plastic pieces to avoid scratching.
Have fun. After the first few air leaner changes you will get the hang of it...

I recently bought my 2014 (it was a demo) and before I picked it up, I told them the only thing I did not like was there seemed to be a bit of lag in the off idle throttle response. They said they would look into it. Low and behold they said that piece (#11) had not yet been installed and that was the cause of the problem. Sure enough, when I picked up my bike, that throttle lag was all but gone. That piece must alter the intake air velocity to some degree....

Had the side of my '15 open to install the Admore Lighting FJR harness; this is what mine looks like. Duct is there...

image-L.jpg

Guess it all depends on what day it was built, and whether they had stock or not...

I recently bought my 2014 (it was a demo) and before I picked it up, I told them the only thing I did not like was there seemed to be a bit of lag in the off idle throttle response. They said they would look into it. Low and behold they said that piece (#11) had not yet been installed and that was the cause of the problem. Sure enough, when I picked up my bike, that throttle lag was all but gone. That piece must alter the intake air velocity to some degree....
Could be, but not for the reason you state. Without number 11 the air will go almost straight in without much restriction, possibly providing too much air for the fuel mixture, causing a stumble sometimes. With number 11 in place it will restrict the airflow to the roper amount and due to the additional turn it needs to make will also slow it down some what. This in turn will enrichen the fuel mixture to avoid the off idle stumble....