Gen I compared to Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
For any of you folks that went from a Gen I to a Gen III, what are some of the biggest changes/improvements with the new bike that really is better?

I have the itch but just can't pull the trigger yet.

Canadian FJR

For any of you folks that went from a Gen I to a Gen III, what are some of the biggest changes/improvements with the new bike that really is better?
There you go with subjective terms without qualifications. Is a 2003 for 1/4 the cost of a 2014 or 2015 "better"? The answer to that would be, no.

You can see for yourself by reviewing the FJR Comparison Matrix and you can choose yourself what's important to you. Subjectively, if you ignore cost I think the stock cruise control, slight increase in engine smoothness, slightly higher ratio final drive, and ES suspension are in the Top 5 myself "better" things from Gen 1 to Gen 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line...Gen II is better than Gen I. Gen III is better than Gen II. That is all.

bike.gif

I went from an 05 with 75k to a 13 with 17k. I really do like the cruise control, heated grips and electronic updates and I think the new one is smoother. It cost me about $4500 to take 50k of the odometer and am sure the new bike will last me many years. But I had my 05 dialed in, with GP suspension, custom seat and other goodies. I kept all the things that I could transfer to the new bike and will send the forks out to GP this winter and that should neutralize the difference but, Gotta say I miss the old girl at times.

Yep, I am looking for real world seat of the pants thoughts.
Well then, my answer is different yet again and why these threads can become NEPRT-fodder. The seat of my pants is better on a Gen 1 because I have a Russell seat and do not on my Gen 3 (along with a bunch of other parts unique to the Gen 1). So, the Gen 1 is better.

My son rides my 2003 (95k mi) and I ride the newer 2013(25k mi).

Both bikes run great and pull like stink (cause we start off together a lot).

The 03 is just plain 'quicker' to rev, run, and go! It flies off the line and spins up faster than you can say 'Oh shit!'

The 13 is just smooother, heavier, and steadier. It runs and revs great... but in a more predictable manner. It revs linearly... the the 03 revs exponentially!

If I could have kept the 03 for the hooligan in me, and the 13 for the grown up... I would be fine w/ 2 bikes. Since I can only have 1 bike right now... I chose to grow up and ride the more civilized, throttle by wire, CC, and steadier 13. (with a periodic romp on the sons bike).
punk.gif

For me, it's cruise control. You need to get home in a hurry and you're 400 miles away? Interstate highway and cruise control set at 10 over. Sit back and keep an eye on your gas gauge.

ABS, too, for those times when you're doing 10 over on the Interstate and discover an idiot is driving on the same highway.

Heated grips, since you'd probably add them anyway. Helps when you're doing 10 over in the rain. Or maybe year-round in Canada.

I like the adjustable suspension a lot. Rode home from EOM two-up with luggage on Sunday; rode to work Monday with my briefcase, and adjusted the suspension in 10 seconds with the push of a button.

Not sure a sixth gear is all that important, but you can't get a new Gen3 Gen4 without it.

In my book, cruise, ABS, and heated grips are essential for LD riding. If you ride an FJR because you go long, then the Gen3 or Gen4 will put a grin on your face and a glow in you heart.

Note that I have never ridden on a Gen1. No disrespect, but I don't feel a need to.

My 2005 was my first FJR after a long line of BMW's.

My bike was set up with double risers and a Russell seat. I found my 05 to be much more roomier than my current 2013. Must have been my setup since I don't read of others experiencing the same.

1st thing I noticed when I bought the 2013 was it felt more compact, when in reality the wheelbase is longer that the 1st Gen and really shouldn't but I say this because of the hyway pegs, again my seat on the 05 must have sat be back further, I did have more leg room on the 05.

2nd thing I noticed on the 2013 was the S mode, this is awesome, turbo like, front wheel yanking excitement.

3rd item I noticed was wind & heat management was much better.

4th was the creature comforts, display navigation items, cruise and heated grips.

5th was the gearing. One option I added to the 05 was the https://www.rmsportmax.com rear drive gear, this made a much more noticeable difference on the 05 than the 2013. I would rather have my 05 gear ratios than the stock gearing on the 2013.

Transmissions on both were just as slick but the 13 does go into 1st more smoothly.

Suspension wise? the 05 was upgraded, the 13 needs an upgrade (30K miles), makes a world of difference.

Overall, I wouldn't mine having my 05 back, I really like the Galaxy Blue. The 13 is sweet and very nice but the color doesn't do much for me and it blends well with pavement.

Currently shopping for a 2016 but might spring the 2018 once I see it.

BMW's no longer interests me.

This really is great information. Thanks to all that provided feedback. Does the sport mode of the Gen 3 still make the

bike feel like it has less oomph that the Gen 1 or do they feel similar.

I know the touring mode relaxes things slightly.

The cruise, electronic suspension, heated grips and smoother engine are all huge selling points for me.

I just hate to loose the sportiness of my '03.

Canadian FJR

I went from an 03 to a 14. Woud I go back-NO. The 03 was quicker and felt lighter. The 14 feels much more refined. The 14 seems to have more top end. (not that I use it.) The cruise is a big plus! I use it even on short runs. Keeps the blue lights away. Also the red looks much better.

Scott, you need to get out there and do a test ride. Probably no more Yamaha demo days until spring.

(I have been avoiding a demo - I'm afraid I might like it too much!)

In all honestly, the demo rides that I have participated in don't tell me much. Too short of a ride and no chance to ride it the way I like to ride.

I bought my '03 without ever sitting on it, not one disappointment. I do remember pulling out of the driveway for the first time thinking "I better like this thing". 270,000 km later, still love it.

Canadian FJR

I rode my Gen 1 well over 60,000 miles. I loved that motorcycle and remember the adventures we had together often.

The refinements on my gen 3 compared to the Gen 1 may be subtle, and to the inexperienced rider, less noticeable. You wouldn't likely pick up on these difference with a simple 5 mile demo ride.

However for me, those refinements are HUGE and very noticeable. The wind and heat management improvements alone are extensive. The Gen 3 rides much better on the long straight boring roads, without giving up good turn in characteristics in the twisties.

Other creature comforts: ABS, heated grips, cruise control, traction control, better trip computer - that's all wonderful icing on the cake.

The stock seat still sucks. The rear rack is still useless. The black paint on the wheels is a joke. And I wish the brakes were fully linked (both ways) or at least linked the opposite way that they are.

Regardless IMO, the Gen 3 is the better bike.

I just went from a 04 with 90k miles and so many mods and ad ons that it is hard to count but so dependable that it still has original clutch and never needed a valve adjustment.. The 17 model was broke in for me with 1400 miles on the clock and I put another 1300 in the next 2 days.. Many of the differences popped up instantly. The cruse control and heated grips were very much appreciated in 51 to 55 degrees with constant drizzle for about 600 of those miles, The stock windshield and fairing do a much better job of handling the wind than the 04 without too much noise but I still might get another after market shield for the winter. The seat is also better than the 03 stock seat with nonslip surface [but I have to really try to put both feet flat on the ground], with that being said I'm still going to get a Sargent or Corbin seat. The handlebars need to be pulled back do to my short reach. 5' 10" seams shorter on this bike.

Currently shopping for a 2016 but might spring the 2018 once I see it.

BMW's no longer interests me.
I find that a bit odd. I took a BMW I found in the back of my garage for a ride a couple of weeks ago (K12RS). Even though the Ohlins are well overdue for rebuild it has a suspension advantage. The telelever makes the bike much more planted in a turn even with worn shocks compared to my 16 FJR ES purchased this year. Don't get me wrong, I love my FJR. But the beemer has some advantages.

I'm reading around this site and think perhaps the Front forks go out this winter and see if I an eliminate some of the beemer advantage.
I got to agree with you. My '93 R1100RS does out handle my FJR and I do like the telelever of course a 120lb lighter weight advantage and shorter wheel base does help. I like the ease of routine maintenance on the beemer as well. That said I like overnighters with wife on the FJR over the beemer. It's nice to own both bikes because they compliment each other well. Oh, and nothing beats a roll on cager pass like on the FJR. They don't see you coming or going for that matter. Kind of like a Mustang GT on steroids.