• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Givi V46 LED tail & Brake lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred is back in the house!

Good to see.

edit: oh, and you are the subject of my THOSANDTH post! whodathunkit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh cool! :clapping:

Fred,

Can you point out which one's mine in the picture? I want to name it! :yahoo:

large.jpg

It has taken longer than I initially thought, but I now have 5 kits done and ready to ship out. I have a photo gallery of the lights here if you want to see them -->>> https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/givibrakelites

I am working with a company to get the circuit cards made, as it just takes way too long to make them by hand. If I can get them to make them for me, I will probably make some more to use up the remainder of the materials I invested in. I have not decieded yet if this is going to be worth my time or not though, and I may stop making them once I run out of what I have in stock. Well see how it goes. I want to get these first five delivered and see how they work out before I get into this any deeper and I need to go back and take a hard look at the expense side of it to figure out what my costs are so I can set a more realistic price. I am thinking I will probably end up around the $120 mark but I am not certain of that number yet.

I used Posi-Tap connectors to tap into the bikes wiring and it makes for a cleaner install. I also used a miniture 3 pin connector for the top box connection that is real nice and small as well as putting fuses on the tail and brake light circuits to protect the bike. All these components added more to the cost than I initially planned for. I also am using new 6,000 mcd LED's on the brake lights that cost a bit more, but they are worth it as they make it even brighter.

Just wanted to drop a note and let you know I shipped out the first three kits today and have two more that I will send out as soon as the checks arrive. I would like to say thanks to those who showed confidence in me and placed the original orders.

I will start making more kits in the coming weeks and I am hopeful that I can keep the price down, but I haven't had time to review all my expenses just yet.

Stay tuned...

I saw some of what must have been those super-bright LED modules rimming a stop sign in front of an elementary school and flashing. They caught my attention almost 1/4 mile back! Can't wait to get some a 'doze on the back of my bike. Finally, a good excuse to leave the box on all the time (except when I need to haul the sticks). Thanks Fred! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I got the first batch of 15 circuit cards from the vendor today and they appear to be correct, so I guess I am ready to start building another batch. I will need to order some more connectors and parts, but I should have everything I need in a few days time.

The price will be $100 each, plus $7 for shipping (US Postal Service Priority Mail).

I will start going through the list above and sending you PM's to confirm your orders

Fred, I want one but I have the E460. Have you been able to compare if they are the same light assembly? Anyone else know? Mike M
From what I can see of the E460 on the Givi web site, it looks like the kit "might" work, but I wouldn't know for sure without seeing the box in person. If you could take some photos of the inside of the rear brake light housing that would help.

My kit is designed to fit inside the rear brake light housing on the V46. If you want to play guinea pig, I can send you one and you can try it and send it back if it doesn't work, but you will have to eat the shipping charges.

medium.jpg

I finished the first couple kits using the new circuit cards, and they are coming out real nice. I still have a few that have not been spoken for. If you are interested contact me via email at:

fredharmon(AT)netzero.net

Please put "Givi LED" in the title so I don't overlook it.

just replace (AT) with @ in the email address.

large.jpg

I'm afraid that by the time I get all to cool farkles I want for this bike, there may be no more gasoline left to burn in it. This is a great looking and really useful idea. Nicely done.

Fred, just wanted to report that my light kit was installed last weekend. It was a very easy install. I did it in the living room while watching TV. Took me less than 45 minutes. Had to trim the long tubing spacers to make it fit, (they were a bit too long and it just would not go together). Wow great setup. :yahoo: Thanks for making these. ;)

I am getting more orders for these, and if they keep up, I may continue to make them for a while longer. It will just depend on if there is enough demand for them to justify continuing on with this project.

The new circuit boards are working real nicely and the wire harness has also improved. I have added Posi-Twist connectors so there is no need to do any soldering, and everything is pretty much plug and play.

ditto to what ohio said. took me longer though. Works great!

Thanks for making these up Fred

FYI, I am starting to grow weary making these, and it also looks like if I continue, I am going to have to raise the price in order to cover my costs. Personally, I would rather be out riding than staying home and making these things.

I have about 5 units left that I will sell at the old price of $107 and after those run out, I am either going to stop making them, or raise the price.

The first five are assembled and tested, and I am working out the final details on the connectors.
I also am working with a circuit board manufacturer as it takes me way too much time and effort to make these by hand. I may make some more if I can get the boards made for them, but I doubt I am going to be able to sell any more at $80, I found out that it takes way too much time and money to make each one.

I'll let you know when I am set up to sell some more and where I will price them at. It may be a several weeks.

large.jpg

Fred,

I am new to the Forum and to my new 06' FJR1300 AE. I do a lot of business in Shanghai and if I can help you in any way to find a manufacturer here just let me know.

Kind regards,

Rick

At long last, yesterday I completed the installation of this on my bike. It's gonna bring a lot of peace of mind knowing those are back there lighting up the rear high & bright!

On mine, I decided not to drill the box and have wire running through it, so I threaded the wires in from the outside, under the front edge of the cover, relieving it a bit with the dremel where they enter, then ran them under the Givi backrest pad and out the bottom. They are well protected, concealed by the top of the pad, and the box retains its original water-tight properties.

I'll post up a picture of the finished product, to assist the learning-impaired, once I get back home Tuesday and find some time to snap one.

Thanks Fred! :clapping: