Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran the general UHP and the GMAX, great tires 35k ish range before something happened to them (sidewall gouge and a nail/spike) Handle similar to a moto when running 32#. Parking lot maneuvers are smooth and easy

Nice post Brodie!It makes me want to try one. Please update as it breaks in, It can only get better.

Hey Chuck,

The neat thing about tires, If you don't like it - change it. If you do like it, you're still going to change it. The trick is to find one that gives you satisfactory life as well as good ride & handling in all weather. If you want to try one, this tire is in the $130 range.

It's only money.

omg2.gif

Whats with the rear facing LED's?
IMG_0020_zpsf8df7804.jpg

These rear facing lights are Clearwater Glendas with Red LEDs. I ordered them up special several years back when we had a FJRForum group buy. Glenn still sells them, however I haven't seen them on his website for a while. They are sold individually as Tail / Brake light. Since my drag chute is packed behind the license plate in a Pelican Box, I decided to mount 2 of them and wire them on a common dimmer, just like the forward facing white LED Glendas on my forks. They are normally running reduced intensity (shorter 'on time' per cycle) and function as auxiliary tail lights. I wired the trigger to the brake light circuit When I hit the brakes, they go to full intensity. Being LEDs they are somewhat directional, and kinda bright. I have the hotspot aimed below the typical hood line of the car behind me.

This is with them in "Running Light" mode...

photo2_zps1f911309.jpg

This is with them in "BRAKE LIGHT" mode...

photo4_zpsbbd61702.jpg

I've learned to not sit at a traffic light with my finger pulling the brake lever.

Brodie

tonguesmiley.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to ABCindy (Andy Clark) for the AVID Envigor pic. It has been added to the FAQ. ABCindy has also been added as Darksider #74. Welcome to the Darkside Andy.

The wing guys already have a sticker. A black Darth Vader looking one. If you know who to ask, I think they are available.

The wing guys already have a sticker. A black Darth Vader looking one. If you know who to ask, I think they are available.
I sent a PM to the provider of the DS stickers on the Wing board. I'll pass along the contact info when he replies.
Edit: he replied -

"I make them available to anyone who's on the Darkside... I sold to the FJR riders before.... Same contact info...

Thanks for passing info along....

For your DS Sticker...

Send me $5.00 each, U.S FUNDS ONLY

an a Return Business Size ( roughly 9x4 )

Self Addressed Stamped Envelope. "

They come in black or silver. Send me a PM and I'll forward his address to you.

Alright... I'm in!

Canucklehead and I mounted a General Tire G-Max Tire on my beloved, resurrected 'Cherise' last night in preparation for my 5000km trek across the country to CFR. First impressions are not bad, but I have lots of road ahead of me to feel it out. Pics and details to follow!

Same here. I am having a G-MAX mounted as I am typing. Kinda of excited to see how she will ride. Half the guys in the shop gave a thumbs up for trying something new.

I LOVE IT!

~13000 km on it 18 days. Tire still looks like brand new. Most of the time I didn't even remember I had made the switch. The most noticeable effect was the tendency for the tire to track into ruts, etc... on the roads. I really didn't notice a significant change in turn initiation effort, but my PR2 wasnt really fresh and had a flat spot in the center. The bike handled beautifully whether solo or 2up, slab or twisties, with or without the trailer. This will be my LD Touring tire for the life of this bike and probably the next bike too! :-D

That said, the PR2 is back on the bike for local riding and short trips.

I took a few pics of the tire but don't have them on the net yet.

I like my G-max. Very surprised at how well it handles. I am not doing any tack days or extreme cornering with it but for 80% of my riding it is fine.

One Very happy camper!

It does track some on the ruts but falls well into a lean with not too much effort.I am running 33 psi and will try 31 psi to see which is more to my liking.

Do I get a darksider number? lol

Anyone that wants a number just needs to post a pic of their bike with the CT in place. I will then assign a number and list them in the Darkside FAQ, unless they request otherwise. (We have about 30 unlisted Darksiders)

Edit - Please post those pictures here in this thread, not in the FAQ thread.

EricV

Here is the picture! Her maiden voyage was on the PIG TRAIL in NW Arkansas, Starting south of 40 for a 30 mile warm up.

Only 1 or 2 cars sighted along the way. Then 23 all the way to Fayetteville with a 1 hour return on the highway.

IMHO, the extra height of the tire, and how that changes the suspension geometry, made more of a handling difference than

adjusting input to compensate for the CT and it flat profile. Which is to say very little has changed.

Its just like riding a different bike, after1/2 an hour at the controls it feels natural.

Tire impressed me. I like 31 PSI and added 3 clicks compression on the forks.

Feels good.

A big Thank You to the Darkside pioneers for trying this on the FJR.

Eric, please go ahead and put me on the Darksider list with a number (?).

Thanks,

Frank

Darkside.jpg

Welcome to the Darkside FJRGuy and Frankko. You have been added to the Darksider FAQ as #75 (FJRGuy) & #76 (Frankko). Frank, I used your pic in the FAQ for an example of the General Tire GMAX as well. Thanks for posting it to the forum.

You may be contacted in the future for initiation ceremonies. In the past we have... partied Had Ceremonies with the graduating class of the Jenny McCarthy School of Chrome Removal, but due to some, civil unrest and pending criminal charges Issues,
uhoh.gif
still outstanding from the last gathering, we may contract with the Nevada House Of Hoes for the next ceremony. All pending initiates will be notified when dates are settled.

Is there anyone who has used the Exalto have a better experience with an alternate brand? I put a bunch of miles on the Exalto and gave up CTs for MC tires. I am thinking about giving it another go and was wondering what I should try next. The Exalto is my baseline and am looking for something that is at least marginally better.

I have no basis for comparison. This is my first CT. Sorry can't be of any help. I wanted to ask what would be a good front MC tire to go along with the Gmax?

PR2 was pretty good combo with the Gmax for me. I'm currently running a set of Angel GT's front and rear, but will DarkSide it again when the rear wears down.